Main Boards > Hunting Knives and Crafters

milling guard slots

<< < (3/3)

srtben:
Great tutorial that deserves a bump. Man I need a mill!!

srtben:
Finally got a mill Karl, thanks again for this tutorial it has been super helpful. I ponied up for the Digital read out, so it is even simpler.

kbaknife:
The gentleman who taught me this had a large Bridgeport with a DRO, but still used the dial indicator on the side of the table.
I'd stick with the dial indicator.
Just sayin'.
And here's a link you might appreciate:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1043761-How-to-mill-a-guard-slot

--- Quote ---Originally posted by srtben:
Finally got a mill Karl, thanks again for this tutorial it has been super helpful. I ponied up for the Digital read out, so it is even simpler.
--- End quote ---

srtben:
Good stuff Karl!
One good thing about my day job, is that I use calipers and measure in thousandths all day long. Doing the math ahead of time, setting the table stops, and a dial indicator or dro makes it seem so easy. I fitted a guard by hand a couple weeks ago and it took almost all day. I did one last night with the mill and it took about 45min from start to final fit!
Thanks again!

Ben

tiur:
Karl,
Plunge mill - always climb mill - 4 flute cutters have more body - ****ty end mills don,t work.
Get carbide tools with tin or ticn coating - try this company deboer tools ( canada )
We mill steel up to to 64 rc .
Asgeir

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version