Topic Archives > How To - Resources

Feather Splice How-to...Motor City Machete style

(1/11) > >>

Mike Vines:
I have been seeing a few guys post questions about wanting to learn how to splice feathers, well after seeing the replies talking about doing a butt splice (cutting feathers and butting their ends together then glueing on), I decided I would fill you in on the secret of "Membrane" splicing, so here it goes.  I have and continue to membrane splice a feather in under 30 seconds.  It really is easier than it looks, and it looks simple.

After you read this, I'm certain you will splice your own, so please post a reply on this thread letting us know how you did, and preferably, you will post a picture to show your creative "Membrane" splice.

First you start out with a full length feather (precuts can be used, but it is a pain in the butt)

Start at the rear of the feather and (for right handers) hold the feather tip (rear) in your left hand.  Pinch the feather and with your right hand, grip the feather and pull the feather back onto itself towards the tip.  The feather will pull free from the quill leaving the feather and membrane in one hand (right) and the quill in the other (left).  Use an exacto knife to cut the feather at the front where you want it to stop at.  You will get the feel for how much presure to use after a couple feathers.

This will be in your left hand...

This will be in your right hand...

Mike Vines:
Once you have the 2 separated, you will be left with this...

Then do the same exact thing with a different colored feather (one that you are wanting to splice with) I chose black to show you the contrast...

Once again, use the exacto knife to cut where you want the process to stop at.

Take your front splice with the tail end of the quill still attached, and then take your rear piece with the membrane attached to the feathers, and mate them together to get an idea how they go together.  It's OK to sit back in amazement at natures own "velcro".  It is amazing how the feathers stick together...

Pull the 2 pieces apart and grab your handy dandy tube of duco cement, and apply a nice (not to much or little) bead down the membrane of the one you are wanting to stick on the quill...

Then mate them together again, and stick the glued up membrane down on the quill.  It will go together like Peanut butter and Jelly...

kyfiddledave:
Great job!!! It sure looks easy enough.......   :)     Thanks!

Mike Vines:
Once the glue is dry (doesn't take long) you can either cut them to length to use on your burner then go about fletching them to the shaft and burn them into shape, or you can get out your feather chopper like this...

Then after lining up the splice where you want it ( a couple pencil marks...One on the feather, and one on the chopper...go a long way), give it a little "Love" tap and then Voila...

It really is that simple.  Not including dry time, it is under 30 seconds, and that's with not to much practice.

Just for craps and grins, I did this while the glue was drying before I chopped the other feather, and while I wrote this, the glue dried enough for me to chop it to show you that you are only limited by your patients, and creativity.  Enjoy, and please post your pictures of the splices you do.  I along with everyone else, would love to see them...

Cookus:
You da' man Mike! Thanks for the tutorial and Merry Christmas brother!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version