INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Newbie Information  (Read 481 times)

Offline Chumster

• BOEUF 2019
  • Trad Bowhunter
Newbie Information
« on: December 13, 2018, 12:23:35 PM »
Looking for some insight from you veterans of this hunt.

* I can GPS the Boeuf WMA but are there specific coordinates for the camping site? Would like to arrive the evening of the 16th.

* Do most, ground hunt, use climbers, spot an stalk??

* Your best advice for foot gear, leather, rubber, snake boots etc?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rick,
Never wait too long!

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Newbie Information
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 10:10:59 AM »
Rick,

I don't remember the address, but I went on Google Maps and this should get you there:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/31%C2%B055'42.1%22N+91%C2%B055'24.1%22W/@31.9283526,-91.9246228,383m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d31.9283505!4d-91.9233626?hl=en

My truck knows the way by itself now, LOL.

Most everyone has ground hunted, but I know some climbers have been brought before. The terrain lends itself well to spot and stalk but the stalk part is sometimes a little tough.

Snake boots not needed, IMO. It's always been too cold for them to be out. I'll bring my hikers and my rubber boots and wear whatever makes the most sense. Depending on water levels I may take my waders as well.

Offline Chumster

• BOEUF 2019
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 11:14:33 AM »
Again, thanks Darren!

I thought I noticed three primitive camp areas in the WMA and didn't know where you folks stayed.
Seems I remember last year maybe there was a lot of rain and possible flooding so was unsure as to the foot gear used.
I hunt southern Texas for Javelina in February and snakes usually aren't an issue then either but was not sure about Louisiana.
Since falling out of a tree a couple of years ago while putting up a stand, I like ground hunting a lot better now. Doctor says, I was one lucky guy!

Thanks again sir!
Never wait too long!

Offline jbpharmd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 01:10:13 PM »
The last few years I hunted mostly on the southern end of the WMA. It is the epitome of bottomland hardwoods/swamp. Mostly old growth timber with a fairly open understory. Most everyone stays on the ground because the primary focus has been hogs. I would definitely recommend rubber boots. I have yet to see a snake, but I’m sure they are there somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Chumster

• BOEUF 2019
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 02:09:45 PM »
Thanks Jacob,

Looking forward to it!
Never wait too long!

Offline jbpharmd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 07:40:34 PM »
Forgot to mention, as far as how to get to the camp: head south on Hwy 559 until you lose cell reception. When you hear banjo music start looking on the left for Old Horseshoe Lake Road and pass it up. The next time you come to a road on the left it is probably Old Horseshoe Road again but doesn’t have a road sign, so keep going until you get to a ferry. Turn around because you went too far. Take the first road on the right and tell the first people you see that you hunt with a traditional bow. If they try to feed you, you are at the right camp. If they tell you “you ain’t from round these parts is you boy” run.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 09:08:04 PM »
Forgot to mention, as far as how to get to the camp: head south on Hwy 559 until you lose cell reception. When you hear banjo music start looking on the left for Old Horseshoe Lake Road and pass it up. The next time you come to a road on the left it is probably Old Horseshoe Road again but doesn’t have a road sign, so keep going until you get to a ferry. Turn around because you went too far. Take the first road on the right and tell the first people you see that you hunt with a traditional bow. If they try to feed you, you are at the right camp. If they tell you “you ain’t from round these parts is you boy” run.

HAHAHAH!!! that's pretty accurate directions! 

In the past we have all pig hunted as much as we desired.  This year I will be trying to kill me a deer as well so i'll be packing around my stand equipment.  When stalking for hogs, you can find some GREAT spots for deer.  I wont wont be able to be there until thursday evening due to work. 

It is ALWAYS a good time!  I'm ready! 
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Chumster

• BOEUF 2019
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 10:43:53 PM »
That's good Jacob  :biglaugh:

Can't wait!!
Never wait too long!

Offline jbpharmd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 07:18:59 PM »
Based on the rain we have been getting I would say it’s gonna be a wet one again. Down in south Louisiana it has been raining constantly for about 2 weeks. If this continues it will be a mudfest.

I’ll be sure to tote my poncho around this year. It didn’t help much last year since it was in my truck when the downpour started and I had to huddle under a blowdown.

Offline Chumster

• BOEUF 2019
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 11:05:57 AM »
I have been watching the weather and you guys have been getting plenty of the rain.

The rain suit will be packed.

Thanks,

Never wait too long!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2021 ~ Trad Gang.com ©