Main Boards > Dangerous Game

Black Bear

<< < (2/4) > >>

goingoldskool:
I've hunted 'Blackie' on and off for about the last 10years or so...  The camp that I've been to has guided since 1968 and has never had an incident....  charges, yes, but no harm to any hunter....  that being said, a gut shot one would not be fun to follow up on!  I've only lost one due to a low impact and have been on many a blood trail.  If hit right, they go down quick!  My son's arrow shot bear from this spring went a total of 9 yards!  Try to stay away from the front shoulder!  You will have a VERY hard time getting through it.

Good luck,shoot straight and God Bless,

Rodd

V I Archer:

My first black bear way back in 2001. 54 pound 21st century constellation, 2016 xx78 arrow and a Zwickey Eskimo broadhead.  Shot at 8 yards.  Bear ran straight up a tree, hung out for a few minutes and dropped.  No blood trail to follow.

Bears are pretty thinned skinned and fairly easy to punch through, but the heavy hair can soak up a lot of blood before it hits the ground.

JohnV:
Pretty much any large animal can be dangerous under the right circumstances.  That said, I am more concerned being attacked by a wild dog or escaped convict than I am a black bear.  And yes, I have hunted black bears multiple times and have encountered them while hunting other animals like elk.  Healthy respect for them?  Yes.  Afraid of them?  No!

Your best bet to learn more about bears may be to go on a bear hunt with an outfitter so when you finally draw that Wisconsin tag you will know a bit about hunting them.

beendare:
Those are my thoughts too, John V

Bears are taylor made for stickbow hunting....

Joseph71:
black bears are indeed dangerous animals to hunt...a big, mature, and smart, poorly hit black bear if not dealt with wisely after the shot, can cost a man his life for sure!
55 pds with at least 10 grains per pound will punch right through any large black bear... if hit in the lung/heart area...the key is practice with a 3d life like target with bow set up properly, then start the mental challege by daily watching footage of black bears in the wild, put a pic on your wall paper, everytime you look at it note the vitals, do this daily, once your bow is right until your hunt...it will all come together with the right outfitter and Gods blessings!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version