Main Boards > Dangerous Game

Black Bear

(1/4) > >>

Captain*Kirk:
I was just notified by my son that his landlord offered him (and me) access to his private property in Northern WI. Says there are very few, if any, deer there, but plenty of Black Bear. Not sure if black bear is considered 'dangerous game' but a gut-shot blackie seams like he might be reasonably dangerous to me...
I've never hunted any large game other than whitetails, and since it's getting late in the year for a 'pop-up hunt', am somewhat setting my sights on 2017 if the opportunity still exists. What would you guys recommend to someone who has never hunted bears in way of equipment, prep, strategies, etc?
Thanks in advance.

Sam McMichael:
I have never hunted bear, either, so this thread will interest me also. From what I have read, the same equipment used on deer should be quite adequate for bear. Essentially, tuned gear, sharp broad heads, and accurate shooting are paramount, the same as in all hunting.

Scouting, stand selection, and bait preparation are all interesting aspects. I look forward to the various bait smells that people find effective. This should be educational.

larry f:
Not to burst your bubble but you need to apply for preference points in order to get a kill tag. It has been taking about 6 - 7 years to get a tag.

Captain*Kirk:

--- Quote ---Originally posted by larry f:
Not to burst your bubble but you need to apply for preference points in order to get a kill tag. It has been taking about 6 - 7 years to get a tag.
--- End quote ---
Good to know, thank you! I will look into that. In the meantime, still looking or those tips and suggestions!

Captain*Kirk:
Hmm... by the lack of responses, maybe black bear is not considered dangerous game? If not, moderators please feel free to move this to a more appropriate forum.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version