Main Boards > The Shooters FORM Board

Arrow woods/Spine and 1970's arrow charts

(1/7) > >>

Don Stokes:
Frequently there are questions on these forums about how different arrow woods compare to each other. A decade or so ago I wrote an article for "Longbows & Recurves" magazine, and I thought I'd share the table from the article, since the magazine has been out of print for some years and this is probably new information for a lot of the TradGangers. The units for the column headings got scrambled in publication.

The far right column is a spine rating number based on specific gravity and bending strength (MOE). Port Orford Cedar has a rating of 4.O, and Osage orange (for illustration) is 1.6. Everything else falls in between. I also included the calculated weight of a 29", 23/64 shaft for each species.

Disclaimer: These numbers are based on averages found in the Wood Handbook, a publication of the USDA Forest Service. The coefficient of variation for some of these data is on the order of 40%, so there can be a lot of overlap between species. A good arrowsmith can pick lighter or heavier sets for any species.

Enjoy!

ALSO....

Dave Worden submitted these "old time" arrow charts (mostly for stickbows) as a valid comparison against todays modern (compound) arrow charts - much obliged, Dave!

The charts below are from the Anderson Archery catalog from about 1973 ...

Old York:
Neat!

Any guess as to what
"Spine Rating million psi"
means in laymen's terms?

Thanks

Don Stokes:
That's what got scrambled. The headings for the columns should read:

Specific gravity
Modulus of Elasticity (MOE) (million psi)
Calculated weight of 29" 23/64 shaft (grains)
Radial toughness (in-lb)
Spine rating (MOE/SG)

Sorry 'bout that.

Rob DiStefano:
summer '98 l&r ... (sorry, couldn't get the magazine moire off) ...

Broken Arrows:
All that info is great but for the person who wants to go with wooden arrows for the first time, how does the info help them choose the wood arrow that best suits them?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version