National Bowhunting Orgs > Veterans Forum

Hunting while serving

<< < (2/4) > >>

Tradtical Commando:
The only thing I hunted was women and Muslims. It's a regret too because I had the good fortune of traveling all over with a lot of freedom to do as I pleased... And I did. It just wasted hunting critters.

Last time I was overseas I was in Iraq and kept seeing golden jackals (Iraqi coyotes) all over the base. Well I couldn't very well go busting off rounds on a base in a war zone. Thats a good way to get shot. I feigned over how to hunt these things and eventually came to the conclusion that I needed a bow. Well eventually I got home and dug out an old Browning Nomad Stalker out of a closet and wondered if it would do. I got on a local hunting forum and asked and a fella started posting pictures of every big game critter known to man that he had taken with a trad bow. He sold me on the idea and had me to his house and set me up. Great guy.
 BUT immediatly after that I hung up my Spurs. Now I think about the thousands of places Ive been both here and overseas with all the things I could have bow hunted. Now I pay to travel; se la vi!

kevsuperg:
Well being a medic in the USAF was more like a 9-5 job then being in the military.
I mostly gun hunted whitetail in Mississippi and then while stationed in plattsburgh NY I met a lifelong friend and we began our bow hunting adventures together .
 We hunted and fished nearly every weekend .

RonD:
During 1966 thru 1969 the war in Vietnam was getting hotter and hotter and the jobs I did were tied directly to that end and time to hunt was scarce. I was stationed at Fort Sam Houston with the Nursing Department in the Medical Field Service School as the NCOIC. This was after basic and AIT at Fort Leonard Wood, Missour. Once the Army found out I had a college degree they shipped my to the Marine Base at Camp H.M. Smith where I served in the J3 operations Division of HQ, CINCPAC on the island of Oahu, Hawaii. There we worked three shifts 24/7 until I was discharged in 1969. Unfortunately, I worked the midnight to 8 am shift, and fortunately there were no officers around at night. Schofield had game to hunt but the 11th infantry were stationed there and were constantly training so that base had limited access. After discharge I went back to college to get an advanced degree and worked in higher education for about three years before accepting a position at Delta State University where I taught for 28 years. It was in Mississippi that my real love for bowhunting began. Mississippi is definitely a hunters state.

swampdrummer:
Spent about 5 of my 8 years in Fort Riley Ks. The last two years of my enlistment I was attached to the natural resources department. I did quite a bit of hunting and fishing on and around post but some of the stuff I was able to do with the natural resources guys were a lot of fun! Small mammal trapping studies, Hoop nets on Milford and the rivers around base for turtle densities. Massive food plot maintenance. Aerial elk counts. I was there when the feral hogs starting showing up on post and this Florida boy was able to teach those biologists a thing or two about chasing pigs! LOL

longbowman:
Looking back is pretty cool!  A friend I met while in Montana worked in Admin so he saw all the upcoming duty changes as they came through.  When his would come up he would volunteer for duty in a section that needed his rank.  Several times he took a rank set-back in order to stay there and hunt.  He spent 14 mths. in Alaska and 22 yrs. in Montana before retiring.  He loved to hunt that much.  He retired to Idaho.  Quite the guy!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version