Main Boards > PowWow

How to stop the "Pluck"

(1/5) > >>

tim roberts:
Got a problem, I have a plucking (the string) problem.  It just dawned on me that this one could go ugly in a heartbeat.  Back to the problem, it doesn't happen all the time, but when I get to doing it I can't figure out how to stop doing it.  I shoot with a Black Widow tab, split finger.  Shooting a Bear's Paw 58" longbow, 58# at 27",  I draw just over 25".  Arrows, Beman's max 4's 400's with 125gr points.
Thanks,
>>>Tim------->

Dustin Waters:
Depends on your release.. I used to have the same problem and changed to a dead hand release.  By maintaing contact with my face after release (I usually "mark" it with my thumb) This simply ensures that i havent gone away to the right or left ive stayed inline with the string.  That was my solution and it hasnt come back yet.

mcgroundstalker:
Dustin makes a good point there...Although alot of times archers just "hold" their bow out there without PUSHING it toward the target...Gotta Push with the bow hand and Pull with the string hand...If you choose to hold your anchor against your face you still gotta Push with the bow hand and keep pressure up within your anchor... :) ...

Go Get Em!!!  >>-----> mike

Mike Orton:
Tim,
The French thought they had a technique for stopping the English from Plucking Yew,,,,allow me to explain the story.

Before the Battle of Agincourt in 1415, the French, anticipating victory over the English, proposed to cut off the middle finger of all captured English soldiers. Without the middle finger it would be impossible to draw
the renowned English longbow and therefore they would be incapable of  fighting in the future. This famous English longbow was made of the native English Yew tree, and the act of drawing the longbow was known as "plucking the yew" (or "pluck yew").

Much to the bewilderment of the French, the English won a major upset and began mocking the French by waving their middle fingers at the defeated French, saying, See, we can still pluck yew!

Since 'pluck yew' is rather difficult to say, the difficult consonant cluster at the beginning has gradually changed to a labiodentals fricative F', and thus the words often used in conjunction with the one-finger-salute!

It is also because of the pheasant feathers on the arrows used with the longbow that the symbolic gesture is known as "giving the bird."

Is this gesture still an appropriate salute to the French today?  Well, that's a matter of your own political views and I shant comment further.  But in the immortal words of Paul Harvey, "And now you know the rest of the story.... about the History of the Middle Finger".

:thumbsup:

wtpops:
I had this problem now and then. i started bring my hand stright back and tuching my ear lobe. It worked for me

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version