Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Stiffening carbon arrow dynamic spine via cutting  (Read 222 times)

Offline Sologuy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Stiffening carbon arrow dynamic spine via cutting
« on: July 26, 2022, 07:03:32 AM »
Guys... I have a 52 lb rd longbow, 28.5 draw length, and need to slightly stiffen arrow spine...
I'm shooting 400 spine Gold tip traditional shafts. Can anyone clue me in about how much say 1/2" will stiffen shaft dynamically...is it pretty noticable...  btw,I havex100 grain inserts,and 200 grain heads and do not want to lessen weight
Appreciate every day....take nothing for granted

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stiffening carbon arrow dynamic spine via cutting
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2022, 04:33:43 PM »
The only way you will know for sure is to bare shaft tune, but I realize that many people are reluctant to go down that road.

Cutting 1/2” off the shaft will stiffen it considerably.  Probably as much in your case as reducing the point weight by 50 or so grains.  I normally trim in 1/4” increments, and there have been times when I have agonized over whether to take another 1/4” off, because if taking another 1/4” off makes it too stiff, I have no easy way of adding it back on, because like you, I usually don't want to change my point weigh.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online Sojurn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stiffening carbon arrow dynamic spine via cutting
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2022, 01:32:40 PM »
You can always add wieght to the back of the arrow as well.  There are several ways to do it. If you're just testing,  I'd recommend using tape.
 Cut an inch of duct tape,  and weigh it,  now you know how much it weighs per inch.  Now you can decide how many grains/ inches of tape to add to the back of the arrow to stiffen up the dynamic spine. 
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2022 ~ Trad Gang.com ©