INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Setting up a Bear Montana  (Read 288 times)

Offline Rucksack

• Trad Bowhunter
Setting up a Bear Montana
« on: July 10, 2022, 05:38:20 PM »
Setting up my Bear Montana that arrived on Saturday, July 9th.  Shot for fun at my 10-15 yard range.  Next day, removed the production leather hand grip and combined shelf/striker plate.   Removal of the grip was necessary to peel off the one-piece shelf/plate.  The next part was ugly-removal of glue remaining on the bow.  Mine had a very heavy application of glue.  D alcohol, nail polish remover, and some bad language.  An hour later, I installed a new shelf and plate.  Applied some light wax to bow since I scrubbed the heck out of it with chemicals.  Set the brace height and tied on an arrow nock.  It turned out fine, but I was worried for a minute.
 Will add some cat whiskers and a spare string.   Tomorrow, some field shooting and possibly a rodent safari-prarie dogs in the tall grass !!

Online RIVERWOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Setting up a Bear Montana
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2022, 01:47:02 PM »
Love the Montana Longbow !
I have had  4 . A Good friend got one , and like a fool I sold my first 55#er to fund a custom Longbow that didn't work out. Worst part , the New owner took a nice Bear with that Montana and would have no part in selling her back;^}

I really do not find the Bear leather on the grip bad for me. I am chewing on trying a beaver-tail  for looks and durability .   On mine (all purchased used) I simply (gently) pulled the grip leather out enough to remove that rest/plate combo . Then a little barge to hold it back down.

Myself, I always try and keep the plate "close" as in thin to mantain that degree of center before the tune. Seems to allow a greaert range of spines for me.

With a good string , and good weight arrows , the Montana is a dead quiet , stable , forgiving , and a QUICK Longbow .

I think Bear still recommends a 7.5-8.5 brace....Mine all do great in the 7"-7 1/4" range . 50#-55# and 2018 shafts with 175 up front on the buisness end ;)

Best with your quest my friend !

sincerely,
Ralph"Riverwolf"Webb
>>>------------------>
Arrows are the Life-Blood of a hunt........They need a safe place to be until called upon  !
Ralph"Riverwolf"Webb
>>>----------------->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2022 ~ Trad Gang.com ©