Trad Gang Highlights > HIGHLIGHTS 2013

Oklahoma Buck Double

(1/5) > >>

Michael Arnette:
My biggest buck ever! The 7 point was actually heavier than the 10 point! The 10 point at 174lbs and the 7 point at 179lbs. I used a Talltines 69# at 28", GT 75/95 Shafts, 220 gr Muzzy Phantoms...Story below

This year has been a great year. I have seen more buck sign than any other year and Oklahoma's deer management system is doing good work to provide a very healthy deer herd! This years rifle season ran a little late due to the calender which gave me a few more precious days to hunt without the guns.
I have been really busy with work this year so it made it feel all that much sweeter when I climbed up into my stand on the morning of November 18th. Everything was perfect and I felt that tingle! You know what I mean.
Anyway, my morning started out watching a scrape I had doctored up just upwind of my stand. This is the first year I have ever found a scrape line on our farm in 8 years of hunting and is testimony to the outstanding work of our states management, I hope things continue to get better and better.

At about 7:00 I heard my first stir and a yearling forkhorn chased a doe passed my stand within good range. 7:30 or so I saw another buck cruising well out of range and in the brush. At 8:15 I heard trotting hooves and a 7 pointer chased a doe passed my stand, I made a 22 yard shot and hit him a little far back so I waited a few minutes before tracking. I was about ready to go down to track my buck at about 9:30 when a huge buck came in right along the scrape route, the only problem was that he came in on my downwind side.  He was angling towards me and I knew he was going to hit my scent so a took an 18-20 yard shot before he made it but missed over his back! My arrow hit a sapling before it reached him and he startled about 20 yards to my upwind side. I had a split second and used it to slip an arrow in through some cover hitting him a bit low at about 35 yards. I watched him run for about a hundred yards before I lost sight.

Two intense/white knuckle tracking jobs later I had two bucks on the ground and a very long drag! Both had run over 200 yards before going down and left very poor blood trails. This was my first double kill ever. Although I kinda wish I would have let the smaller buck walk after shooting the big guy.

:
Wow! Great morning in the woods!

Congrats on the double!

Bisch

Jayrod:
awesome for sure doubles are hard to beat!!congrats

Basinboy:
It doesn't get much better than that! Congrats

SAM E. STEPHENS:
Great shooting and a great hunt, Congrats.....

,,,,Sam,,,,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version