Main Boards > The Bowyer's Bench

Dulling Bow Finish

<< < (2/4) > >>

Jack Denbow:
Gun, you might try those Scotch Bright pads. That is what I use on my personal arrows. I get mine from Lowes, but I would think you should be able to get them from any paint store. I like the way things look when using the pads vs steel wool.
Jack

Kirkll:
I’ve used the ultra fine scotch pads for years and they are fine for hitting finish between coats, but I wouldn’t use them to tame a gloss finish down. The  0000 steel wool is the way to go for giving you a hand rubbed satin finish. After you rub it down use a cotton rag to polish it. You won’t damage your finish rubbing it down by hand. Been doing it for many years….

I use a high gloss auto clear coat to spray all my bows, but I spray a fine Matt finish which gives it the satin look. Occasionally it’s a bit too shinny and can be easily rubbed out.   The last thing I’d do is spray a satin poly over an existing finish…. You are just looking for problems there….

Kirk

Crooked Stic:
YeahI been using 0000 for years on Krystal. Witch is not a super hard finish.

Mo_coon-catcher:
I scuff with 0000 steel wool followed by a quick spray of satin lacquer to full the shine from truoil. It works well for me.

Kyle

Gun:
Thanks guys. I'll give the steel wool a shot first and see how it looks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version