Main Boards > The Bowyer's Bench

Self bow beginner tool set

<< < (2/3) > >>

Pat B:
Only use dead hickory if it was stored properly since death. Standing dead and dead on the ground for only a few weeks can make the wood worthless for bows by the time the wood dries. Fungi loves mistreated hickory.  :dunno:
Hickory does like to be dry but unlike other bow woods hickory likes 5%-6% M/C but will still make a good bow at 9%-11% M/C like most other bow woods..

Mo_coon-catcher:
If you’re using hickory, I would harvest the wood in the spring or summer so the bark just pops off. Then you won’t need a leave knife to establish a back and you can do all the rough out with a sharp hatchet. Then a Ferrier rasp for profile cleanup and early tillering, then a flat scraper of any kind for final tillering. Then a chainsaw file for the nocks. Harder that it’s just sand paper for cleanup. Yo me that’s a good minimalist setup. Though all work can be done with just a good heavy knife or sharp hatchet. If you’re gonna work something you need to chase a growth ring then get a draw knife as well. A bench vise or set of c clamps will make working the stave easier but not necessary. And a hard smooth rod to burnish an hook onto your scraper.

So I’m list form:

Hatchet
Ferrier rasp
Scraper
Chainsaw file
Hard smooth rod for sharpening scraper (screw driver shaft works)
Oh and a pencil, you need something to mark your lines.

Kyle

John Scifres:
Hand tools: roofer's hatchet, 10" drawknife, sandvik or bahko cabinet scraper, Nicholson #49 and/or #50 rasps, mill-bastard file, chainsaw or rattail file, measuring and marking tools, sharpening stones, burnishing tool, sledge hammer, wedges

Sandpaper and finishing materials

Power tools: chainsaw, bandsaw

Good luck, have fun!

darin putman:
Radford what would seem to be the hardest part of making a selfbow for most is learning proper tiller. A tillering gizmo is my most important tool when making a bow, it will help to teach what proper tiller should look like if trusted and used correctly. Simple to use on straight staves, plenty of info available on its use also.

Radford:
Thanks everyone. I’ve got a good start here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version