Main Boards > The Bowyer's Bench

Tillering Tools?

(1/3) > >>

MN-Tommy:
Hey, just about to start tillering my first bow, and I was wondering what the best tools to use are?  I have a Stanley Surform Rasp, a cabinet scraper and some hand rasps.  What other tools are necessary?

Thanks,

Tommy

Buckeyehunter:
You'll need a triangle and chain saw file to work your limb tips and I really like using a farriers rasp for early tillering.

MN-Tommy:
Actually, I do have both of the files.  Thanks.  I realized I have another question.  Do you know of any websites that have tutorials on how to use the cabinet scraper as well as sharpen it?

Thank you for the help,
Tommy

Pat B:
Dean Torges has instructions about setting up and sharpening a cabinet scraper in his book,"Hunting the Osage Bow". Might be on his website also.
Its pretty easy...square up the edge with a flat file then burnish each edge at about a 2 deg angle(slightly off of flat). This will give you the burr you need.
   I have also just squared off the edge and used it that way.      Pat

Dano:
Once you realize it'a all about pushing a bur over the edge of the surface, it's pretty easy to setup a scraper. A few good books are always good to have around even if just for reference. Traditional Bowyers Bibles, Hunting the Osage Bow, The Bent Stick, ect.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version