Main Boards > The Dark Continent

Equipment for South Africa

(1/1)

WVbowhunter:
I'm starting to get more serious about planning a trip to South Africa, most likely with Sofala Safaris, and I'm hoping to get some advice from those that have gone before. I'm leaning toward taking one of my go to bows (PSE talon 66#@33" with full length 2318 aluminum shafts and 125 grain Tooth of the Arrow XL broadheads, the solid heads not the vented ones total arrow weight about 670 grains).
The biggest animal on my potential wishlist as of now would be a zebra. Do you think there is any reason to change up my current setup?

Mike Yancey:
That should be perfect. Call me anytime you want to talk about Sofala or and questions on doing it. This year will be my sixth trip to Sofala.
Mike

elkhunter76er:
Hi WVbowhunter
I am planning on taking my recurve in 2027 to Africa. I plan on taking a kudu or gemsbok with mine. I wish you the best of luck Please share pictures when you get back.
Thank you elkhunter76er

acolobowhunter:
You have plenty of poundage and arrow weight.  Where I hunt in Namibia, they won't allow any mechanical broad heads.  Use a good 2 or 3 blade head.  Something you can re-sharpen if needed.
Shot placement is very important.  If you are not already aware, the vitals on African animals are further forward than north american animals.  It would be worth your time to study this out.  There are several books about shot placement on Africa's animals.  Most outfitters charge for wounded animals.  If you draw blood you have bought an animal.  Not saying all of them are this way, but I have heard this from several South Africa hunting operations.
Don't take any shot that you are not sure you can kill the animal.  Where I was at, we had many oppertunities at good animals.  No shots were taken over 20 yards.

WVbowhunter:

--- Quote from: acolobowhunter on July 18, 2023, 05:51:46 PM ---You have plenty of poundage and arrow weight.  Where I hunt in Namibia, they won't allow any mechanical broad heads.  Use a good 2 or 3 blade head.  Something you can re-sharpen if needed.
Shot placement is very important.  If you are not already aware, the vitals on African animals are further forward than north american animals.  It would be worth your time to study this out.  There are several books about shot placement on Africa's animals.  Most outfitters charge for wounded animals.  If you draw blood you have bought an animal.  Not saying all of them are this way, but I have heard this from several South Africa hunting operations.
Don't take any shot that you are not sure you can kill the animal.  Where I was at, we had many oppertunities at good animals.  No shots were taken over 20 yards.

--- End quote ---

The tooth of the arrow are a single piece machined 4 blade head that's fairly easy to sharpen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version