INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Future plans.... Arizona! Come along with me!  (Read 883 times)

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
Future plans.... Arizona! Come along with me!
« on: August 23, 2008, 08:56:00 PM »
Hey, I am in the infant stages of planning an Arizona coues-desert mule deer and hopefully javalina hunt sometime in the next two years... I was stationed in Yuma for four years and I am familiar with the southwest corner of the state, but might begin looking outside of that area.  The mule deer rut is actually in January and into February down there so it would be a real nice respite from a cold winter up here (although it does get cold down there in the desert).

Anyway, I am looking for one or two other dedicated friends to make this trip with me.  Anybody interested?  While I am not going to deny anyone who wants to go and makes the sacrifices needed to get down there for a successful hunt, here's what I am looking for in a hunting buddy or two:

Good shape.  You don't have to run marathons, but you can't be a slouch either.  I know the desert is tough in AZ.

Willing to shoulder their fair share of the load.  Money wise, camp chores, meat packing, etc.  

Enthusiasm.

Independence/ self reliance.  

Anyone interested?  Lets get this ball rolling!

Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline greenhed

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Future plans.... Arizona! Come along with me!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 12:24:00 AM »
do you have a ballpark cost yet?  I would love to go....
"Do justly, love Mercy, walk Humbly"

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 10:12:00 AM »
I am going for budget.  I'd like to camp out the majority of the time, but as far as licenses go , the combo hunting -fishing license is $225.  The tags for archery deer (OTC by the way, where the rough plan has us going) I am not sure on the price right now, but it is fairly reasonable and in line with other out of state deer tag prices.  
I am hoping to stay under $1500 for everything.
Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline runamuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 08:43:00 AM »
$1500 should be do-able, the total for a deer tag, javi tag, and lic. is $481,50.. if you draw..
i just got back from a javi hunt at San Carlos
Apache rez. really had a great time, three of us went, and was able to keep it under $1000 each..
i am sure i could have done it for less than 6 or 7 hundred bucks,, but i brought back 500 pounds of oranges and grapefruit, and a few other souvenirs that i didn't need..
ended up eating out more than we planned and ended up bringing food home..
$270.00 for javi tag and lic. plus they throw in a Mt lion tag at no additional cost,, seen lots of cat tracks but no cats.. you can quail hunt for 15.00 bucks a day and is well worth it, lots of quail there..
no draw there, they have 400 javi tags available
first come first served, but they never sell out,
we only seen two other hunters in eight days..
all in all it was one of the funnest hunts i have ever been on..

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 06:59:00 PM »
Sounds like fun. Hope you can get someone to go with you and good luck.

Offline Foxbow45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 12:30:00 AM »
I would be interested in going. I was just talking to someone last weekend about doing a javalina hunt. Are you more going after deer or javalina?

Eric

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 08:44:00 PM »
Both.  I haven't taken a javalina, which is typically a draw, but an easy one, and I'd love to have a coues buck hanging on the wall as well.  

I am looking a ways down the road.  I have a year left in my current nursing program then hopefully just another year in a bridge to RN program after that.... so start saving those pennies and quarters!
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

-Abraham Lincoln

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2021 ~ Trad Gang.com ©