Main Boards > PowWow

Which Spokeshave?

(1/3) > >>

Red Dwarf:
I am looking at getting myself a spokeshave (late Xmas present!) and was wondering which makes & models you experienced bowyers use and would recommend?

Thanks and all the best for the New Year

Red Dwarf

Dano:
The Bowyers edge is a good investment.
 http://www.bowyersedge.com/pdfs/BEInstr.pdf

AkDan:
I'll second that!  Much easier to sharpen to boot!

Sneakypete:
How much does the BE cost? I popped $18 for a spoke shave from another well-known and respected distributor, and got what I paid for: a rough-cut handle with a screwed-on, non-adjustable piece of angle steel that's impossible to sharpen and doesn't work for beans. So for now I'm back to scraping with old hunting knives.

Jeremy:
The Bowyer's Edge is from Dean Torges.  It's a nice tool, but it's not a finished tool.  He leaves it to the buyer to shape the handles. For the same $$ you can get the Scrapershave from Veritas Tools and get a more refined tool.  I have them both, as well as one I made.  Though I just got the Veritas tool a few days ago.

As for spokeshaves, you really do get what you pay for.  The flat and round spokeshaves from Veritas are top notch, but @ $70 each you may want to consider a different brand (I wouldn't).  The Stanley tools are pretty inexpensive (and usually need LOTS of work to get cutting nicely).  The Record models are slightly better than Stanley's.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version