Main Boards > PowWow

Inquiry about tradpoints (New Pics)

<< < (3/3)

mike g:
Oh no Ferrets going modern....  :banghead:

Art B:
High quality circular saw blades already have excellent temper in them where as low quality blades you buy these days are made from mild steel and can't be tempered. The old fire-tooth blades are good if you have any of those laying around. But if you have to buy a blade, make sure it says, made from HIGH QUALITY STEEL.

If you can cut your trades out of the good blades without removing it's temper then you can save yourself a tempering job. I haven't found a good high quality circular saw blade that I can't cut out by using those Bi-Metal hacksaw blades that the Napa Auto Parts stores sell. And of course, a good mill file helps for shaping.-ART B

TSHOOTER:
I GOOGLED TEMP CONVERSION AND FOUND THAT 190-210 DEG C  =  374-410 DEG F.  
NOT SURE HOW I'LL PROCEED BUT APPRECIATE EVERYONES ADVICE. THANKS

Allan Hundeby:

--- Quote ---Originally posted by Art B:
...If you can cut your trades out of the good blades without removing it's temper then you can save yourself a tempering job.-ART B
--- End quote ---
However, does anyone know if those circular blades have the same hardness/temper from center-to-edge?  The colour looks different, and if so, you'd want to change your cutting layout so that the front of your heads was at the circumference of the circular blade.

Art B:
Temper seems to be pretty consistant throughout Allen. Most times it's just the teeth that gets a little extra tempering for better wear. But as I mentioned, some of these cheaper blades that are produced today are made from mild steel and can't be tempered. Easy to check and see what kind of steel you've dealing with. Just heat up the tip (cherry red) of your trade and quickly cool in water. If it will then take a file cut then it doesn't have any carbon content. If it becomes brittle and will not take a file cut then that's what your're looking for.-ART B

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version