Main Boards > The Shooters FORM Board

Aiming

(1/2) > >>

BruceT:
    Something that I’ve been overlooking with my shooting woes is the process of aiming .
    I’ve just recently come to the conclusion, that in the past I have not given the process of aiming , enough attention. It’s hard to describe , but I think a lot of the time , I was coming to full draw , doing what I thought was aiming and releasing.
    But I kinda think ,that  process of aiming ,wasn’t getting the attention it deserved. It was kinda like a “Close enough” concept but maybe not really concentrating  on a spot . I think it was partly due to my mind thinking back pressure, shoulder alignment, release and other factors, that are important. But distracted from the aim process.
    I pretty much shoot daily. Nine yards inside the garage . No outdoor shooting in Manitoba, this time of the year. I’m taking more time to aim and trying to put my full contcentration  on the aim . I’m finding when I do this , with the full concentration, the release happens just about perfect most of time. Emphasis on the most !
   My point is , that sometimes maybe there’s to much emphasis on the mechanics of the shot , that we forget to aim properly .
   Finally I would like to acknowledge Jim Castos program , that got me to the point where I actually can aim !!

Bruce T

McDave:
Seems like you're on the right track.  I agree that Jim Casto’s program is great.  Do you aim instinctively or by using some reference point?

BruceT:
   Switch back and forth , from split vision to just trying to concentrate on the spot . Depends if things aren’t working ?? Maybe split most of the time .

McDave:
Because the procsss of aiming is different depending on whether you aim instinctively or split vision. Joel Turner accurately describes the aiming process for gap or split vision: “Draw back and aim, get it done, watch it to keep it.”  Fred Asbell accurately described the aiming process for instinctive aiming: “Burn a hole in the target.”  Couldn't be more different.  Decide which one you want and stick with it.  Trying to mix the two could lead to schizophrenia 😁

Firstlight:
It sounds to me you are on a good path.  I know I shoot better knowing how to shoot both instinctive and split vision.  With SV, and focusing on elements of form, leaving the aim to the subconscious I personally shoot better over time, as in all day at a 3D event.

This season I’m working most on the “mental” part of shooting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version