Topic Archives > Hunting

Wind direction and whitetails

(1/5) > >>

jonsimoneau:
For the past few years or so I have recorded wind directions as they coincide with big buck sightings.  
I must admit that trying to find out how to set your stands according to wind direction is not as easy as it seems.  For example, I have seen alot of big bucks moving directly downwind.  They do it all the time.  
When a buck is going to enter an open field to feed, many people say that he will want to approach the field with the wind in his face.  Yet all the time I see bucks in fields where they would have entered with the wind at their backs.  I shot my biggest buck as he was quartering downwind.  How do you guys set your stands?  This year I will be experimenting with setting my stands so that bucks can quarter into the wind to get to me.  Basically, for October, I have stands 100 yards or less from buck bedding areas, and will hunt those stands when the wind allows a buck to quarter into the wind while making his way to a food source.  

Wind is a frustrating thing to figure out.  What do you guys think about how whitetails use wind? Maybe a little insight from Uncle Barry?

2Blade:
My guess for the reason the buck had the wind to his back is because he could see any danger in front of him and he was using the wind behind to cover his back trail.

As far as deer using wind I think it varys for deer I think older bucks along with wind use other deer to their advantage to check for danger. A good example I heard was a buck bedded on a cliff with the cliff behind him because nothing approach from behind and he had the wind in his face and he could see both sides. Even more interesting is the buck walked past a snow patch and went on bare ground to NOT leave a backtrail.

StickBowManMI:
I have seen the same thing. Bucks traveling with the wind at their backs and using their eyes to detect danger in front of them.

woodslinger:
Don't overthink this. The minute we start to think deer always do this or always do that, is when we get into trouble. In my opinion you should place your stands so that on your approach your scent isn't being blown to where you think they are or where you think they are coming from. Put up a couple stands to cover different appraoch scenerios and then play the odds.

Orion:
I agree with woodslinger.  I've seen bigger bucks, and other deer, too, for that matter, move every direction possible re the wind.  However, since the wolf population has exploded in northern Wisconsin, I find the deer  quartering with the wind a lot more(so they can smell the wolves coming in from behind), and just generally a lot more cautious.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version