INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 2020 MN bunny hunt  (Read 1192 times)

Offline Holm-Made

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
2020 MN bunny hunt
« on: December 21, 2019, 09:30:55 PM »
Well we are planning to get together around Faribault And Mankato to chase bunnies around Saturday January 25th and Sunday the 26th.  One guy has some beagles so hopefully we will have some luck.  Todd in Mankato and John in Owatonna have both said we can crash at their place.
More details to follow.

Offline tod becker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2020 MN bunny hunt
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 01:33:34 PM »
My basement will be open for anyone that wants to sleep over Friday and Saturday.  I have 40 acres and need some of the squirrels removed from my bird feeder.

Offline Gavin Beagles/terriers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 04:52:35 PM »
The beagles have been doing really well. There was about a 3 week period where I was worried about if it would be worth taking them with new people but it seems their noses adjusted to the snow or something and they’ve been pounding them ever since. We are working on scouting spots between here and Mankato so hopefully I have an idea of the general layout. I’m super excited!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tod becker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 11:30:57 AM »
I'll try to get out this weekend and locates some around Mankato. I have 8 squirrels at my bird feeder that need to be cleared out.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 05:33:57 PM »
Between Faribault and Mankato there is a lot of very good public land. I just kinda like to know my way about it if possible. I also have a lot of vacation here so might as well be in the woods following dogs!

Offline tod becker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 01:45:22 PM »
I will check out Dove Lake and Earl Swain WMAs for tracks this weekend.  They are both pretty big, just north of Lake Francis.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 02:26:05 PM »
What did you think of them? Earl swain looked good if I remember right and looks great on OnX. I didn’t get out yesterday anywhere new due to a tracking collar not working and trying to trouble shoot that (ordered a new one) but am going to look at chadderdon, paddy marsh, and Dora lake Friday. Might check out a few others on Saturday depending on if I travel out west or not.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 04:45:00 PM »
Checked out Dora Lake WMA with my little female beagle today. Tons of sign and she got one up and running pretty quickly. Going to have to pay attention to temps here as there is a lot of marsh and the cannon river which makes me a bit nervous due to breaking through possibilities. I was gonna look closer today but we jumped a coyote out of a brushpile and I didn’t want to push my luck with that.

Offline Joe Jewett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 09:40:17 PM »
I was really hoping to make it down again this year but I'm way behind on a logging job that needs completed this winter so I had better work on that. Bummer too, because I cooked squirrels in mushroom gravy for supper tonight and it was outstanding! Good luck.

Offline tod becker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2020, 04:14:16 PM »
I walked around Klondike mountain AKA Dove lake. The snow was to hard to see any tracks but I saw some droppings. This would be a three hour adventure. The cover looked good.
I didn't walk the Earl Swain but it looked ok also. It is a slough with cover all the way around it.
These maps can be seen on the DNR/Maps/Forest Legacy site.

Offline Holm-Made

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2020, 08:37:38 PM »
We should set up a meeting place for Saturday morning in case people are thinking of driving down from the cities Saturday morning.  A place to get some coffee and eggs.  Fergus, you set the place.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2020, 05:24:42 PM »
I talked to a buddy from Elysian, I will admit I’ve never eaten at any of these places but was assured that Fishers Corner Bar in Elysian is solid, depending on what people think with regards to travel we could do the Corner Bar or Bullheads in Waterville or Trail Blazer or the Landing in Madison Lake.

If we want to meet in Faribault Bernie’s grill is also very good. I don’t know where everyone is coming from or if there’s a location that would be more central for people than others. I will gently suggest that if we are meeting in Faribault if everyone would be willing I have two phenomenal spots to hunt near Claremont (way out of the way potentially) that we could hit and I know very well. There’s a couple larger groups of guys who hunt coyotes out there pretty hard so the rabbit numbers are consistently high.

I’m sure people have seen that there is a WMA a mile south of Faribault and I won’t stop any of you guys from hunting that but that’s been the place my dad and I hit quick after work, on super windy days etc so we are somewhat protective of it and we never shoot them out there just so we always have a few easy local rabbits to hunt. Obviously it’s public though so feel free to try your luck at it.

I’m up for any discussions as to where the best place to meet/eat is and will try to solidify a plan hopefully of places to hit after that.

Offline Bucksnort101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2020, 01:36:29 PM »
Sounds like a good time. Wish I could make it, but got other things planned for the next several weekends.    Be sure to post an update so I can feel bad about what I missed out on;)

Offline tod becker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2020, 05:13:32 PM »
If we do decide to start in Claremont, maybe we could do breakfast in Owatonna. Kind of on the way from Mankato.

Offline Holm-Made

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2020, 08:54:32 PM »
How much snow is on the ground, in the woods?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2020, 12:04:32 AM »
I’ll see if I can let you know tomorrow. Try to get out of town and check it out. Drifts at work tonight we’re 2’ or so maybe 3.

If nothing else I’ll swing up to my parents who have a little isthmus of woods behind their house.

The only issue with Claremont is its a bit of a ways from everything else but there are other spots on the way back towards Mankato we could hit.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2020, 09:10:22 PM »
Snow report: mid shin on me so I’d say about a foot. Drifts obviously much deeper. Did some thinking and let’s meet at Bernie’s in Faribault at a time that works for people. No need to be up early for rabbit hunting with dogs so whenever works for everyone. I’m a morning person so I’ll be up at about 5 to get the dogs fed so they can digest well before hunting. We will go south of Faribault here judging from tracks there should be plenty of bunnies and the weather is looking about perfect.

I hope that works for people. I kind of like the familiarity of this spot especially with a few new variables at play and after breakfast it’s about an 8 min drive which makes things easy. Let me know what you think!

Offline Holm-Made

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2020, 11:46:47 PM »
That sounds great.  Thanks for taking charge of this.  Pick a spot for breakfast.  Should we meet at 8:00?

Roll call.  This is what I know for sure.  I will probably sleep in John’s heated garage Friday night.  He said he has lots of room. 

Chad
Jacob
Fergus
John
Jake
Tod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2020, 06:12:29 AM »
Let’s meet at Bernie’s grill in Faribault: 129 Central Ave N #5210.

I’ll be there at 8, looking like a trad bow hunter in wool.

Offline Joe Jewett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2020, 08:19:13 PM »
Good luck guys!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2020 ~ Trad Gang.com ©