INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Longhammock campfire thread  (Read 6099 times)

Online gnome

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Lossing arrows since 1966
Re: Longhammock campfire thread
« Reply #80 on: September 04, 2020, 03:17:03 PM »
There is going to be one more Sunday shoot on 9/6/20..... This will be the last one until spring 2021...

I hope everyone who can make the trip comes out..... even if you aren't shooting.... 

The currency of War, is not money, but the lives of our sons and daughters. Spend wisely. - gnome

My opinions come from experience, common sense, and scar tissue. - gnome
Proverbs 21:9,19

Online gnome

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: October 31, 2020, 07:51:35 PM »
Mini update…. The VIP  tent is back up, but I got no idea where I last saw the camera… It’s probably next to one of my tabs.... Can’t seem to keep track of them either...Everybody has gotten busy with work or hunting, so the Wednesday night shoots have fallen to the wayside…… it’s just me and Tom, and we just shoot when we feel like it…..We’re both trying to get ready for the TBOF charity shoot in February…. On a personal note, my balance has improved a lot since August, still a little weak on the left side....I'm not quite back to where I was, but making good progress…. Stand by for news….   :coffee:
The currency of War, is not money, but the lives of our sons and daughters. Spend wisely. - gnome

Online gnome

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2020, 07:54:28 AM »
Ouch!…. A hard slap of reality up side the head… I have a full blow case of CHS…. (can’t hit shit)…

When I was 8 years old I started my lifelong love of squirrel hunting….that was when Granddaddy gave me my first rifle…. It was a single shot Winchester model 67 youth model…. The kind where after you closed the bolt, you had to pull back the  firing pin to cock it….Granddaddy said he had bought the youth model , sometime in the 1920’s, because the short stock fit underneath the buggy seat….I was a very good shot with it …. with the eye sight and enthusiasm of youth, one shot = one squirrel... I still have that little rifle…. Then when I was 19 or 20, I bought a used Colt Python for $200…. you could go to the police pistol range, in St. Petersburg, and buy a 50 round box of 38 wadcutters for $2.00…..back then I could clover leaf groups a 25 yards…. A 38 wadcutter, it turns out, is an awesome squirrel  round…. Most always got my limit with it.….I still have the Colt, and some of the enthusiasm, but the youth and the eye sight are long gone!…..  fast forward  to yesterday…. With general gun opening I pulled out the 22’s….. Iron sights, rifle or handgun, are now just a fond memory…. My other squirrel pistol is a Ruger 22/45 airlite .22, with a Simons 2X scope…. Even with glass on top, I can’t hit shit...it looks like handgun hunting for squirrels, is now in the realm of fantasy …..  Ouch, reality hurts… oh I have other stuff, like a really nice double trigger, double barrel 20 gauge, choked full & full, that is my favorite squirrel knocker downer, as far as shotguns go, but nothing beats squirrel hunting with a pistol…… hows that song go?… “I aint as good as I once was, but I’m as good once as I ever was”… or something like that….

...and this is Maynard, my fat little dachshund ....life is good...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 01:25:57 PM by gnome »

Online gnome

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2020, 01:20:13 PM »
Flying Eagle WMA had a small game hunt this weekend…… There is still to much foliage left on the trees for it to be good for .22 rifles yet…Yes, I can still shoot a rifle (with a scope, and a tree), I just don’t have a steady enough hold with a pistol anymore, so I ended up using the 20 gauge…. I got seven, but only collected six, with one getting hung up in a fork about 15 feet up, and no way to get it down….. hate when that happens, but it happens to the best …. if it didn’t, it wouldn’t happen to you or me.... All in all it was a good morning in the woods… but as fun as it was, I’m going back to using a .22…. cleaning shotgun squirrels has a negative fun factor … sheesh what a mess, and you still got to pick pellets…. Like granddaddy always said…. Head shot or no shot….  Half Moon in Sumter county, opens for small game in two weeks…. Stand by for news...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2020 ~ Trad Gang.com ©