Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: What a difference!  (Read 936 times)

Online Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
What a difference!
« on: May 13, 2019, 11:45:28 PM »
It’s amazing what one small movement can do to your shooting. I started 1962 and there were no coaches within a hundred miles so it was trial and error learning, mostly error. I did “ok” and made improvements over the years by talking to people, reading and getting advice on sites like this one.

A few weeks ago I was re-reading Shooting the Stickbow by Anthony Camera (Viper). On page 246 he talks about pushing the bow toward the target. I had tried this by literally pushing my arm toward the target but with little effect or success. Then I read his description which involves moving the upper bow arm and/or shoulder forward with respect to the archer’s body.  This actually causes a slight push toward the target.

By moving the upper bow arm forward I found my bow arm and both shoulders were in line which gave me better stability at full draw. I have much better alignment, back tension comes naturally, almost automatically and is much more consistent, my string hand comes straight back on release and I have never shot better. All because of the small forward movement of the upper bow arm. This worked like magic for me. If you are looking a step in improving your shooting this is worth checking out.
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Online McDave

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What a difference!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 12:47:32 AM »
I agree. It took me a while to figure this out too. Let's say you face the target with a slightly open stance and come to full draw without moving your shoulders. At this point, your shoulders will be aligned slightly to the left of the target (for a RH shooter).  If you then rotate your shoulders so they are pointed toward the target, you will get better bone on bone alignment, your draw length will increase by a half inch to an inch, and your accuracy will probably increase because you are in a more stable position. It does feel like pushing with the bow arm to me. Of course, we normally rotate our shoulders into alignment as we draw, not as a separate step, but it helps to explain it in two steps. 
TGMM Family of the Bow

Would someone please make up my mind for me?

Offline Bigjackfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 04:12:43 AM »
Is this what expansion is when you get to draw or something different.

Online McDave

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 05:32:42 PM »
Is this what expansion is when you get to draw or something different.

I believe this is correct.  At almost full draw, the string arm can’t draw the arrow back any further if the back muscles have been used correctly.  As the shoulders rotate into alignment, they push the bow arm forward to get the last little bit of draw that triggers the release or the clicker.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Would someone please make up my mind for me?

Online Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 11:56:34 PM »
I agree with McDave. It's almost like you are levering that last bit of draw when you move the bow shoulder forward. Another way I would describe it is that your shoulders seem to pivot around the spine., the bow shoulder comes forward and the string shoulder moves back, bringing the draw arm back with it. When I do a "dry run" of the movement without a bow I can really feel the rhomboids working. A game changer for me.
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline fnshtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 02:34:21 PM »
Good stuff guys! :clapper:
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Online acedoc

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 08:51:12 PM »
It’s amazing what one small movement can do to your shooting. I started 1962 and there were no coaches within a hundred miles so it was trial and error learning, mostly error. I did “ok” and made improvements over the years by talking to people, reading and getting advice on sites like this one.

A few weeks ago I was re-reading Shooting the Stickbow by Anthony Camera (Viper). On page 246 he talks about pushing the bow toward the target. I had tried this by literally pushing my arm toward the target but with little effect or success. Then I read his description which involves moving the upper bow arm and/or shoulder forward with respect to the archer’s body.  This actually causes a slight push toward the target.

By moving the upper bow arm forward I found my bow arm and both shoulders were in line which gave me better stability at full draw. I have much better alignment, back tension comes naturally, almost automatically and is much more consistent, my string hand comes straight back on release and I have never shot better. All because of the small forward movement of the upper bow arm. This worked like magic for me. If you are looking a step in improving your shooting this is worth checking out.
Thanks a ton. Just read a few parts of his book late last night and realised I was having a floating anchor in addition to my other sins.
Nice read
Toelke SS recurve
Sky Wildfire ilf with foam carbon xxl limbs
Big Jim's??????????????

Online slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 10:26:36 PM »

"I believe this is correct.  At almost full draw, the string arm can’t draw the arrow back any further if the back muscles have been used correctly.  As the shoulders rotate into alignment, they push the bow arm forward to get the last little bit of draw that triggers the release or the clicker."
X2.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 07:41:36 AM by slowbowjoe »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©