INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 3 Rivers scores again!  (Read 2142 times)

Offline Angus

• Trad Bowhunter
3 Rivers scores again!
« on: April 03, 2019, 10:21:49 PM »
a recent purchase of one of their Old Mountain Mesa deflex/reflex bows has impressed me.  I've shot my 45# for about two weeks now, and still am blown away at the quality, lack of hand shock and stacking, as well as the general finish and ease of shooting.  This is one very nice bow!  Especially when you consider the $260 price tag.  I suppose you could call this an "entry level" longbow, but it compares so favorably with my Toelke Whip in terms of shooting, that I'd say there's absolutely nothing "entry level" about it other than the price.  The Toelke is hands down more beautiful in the riser area than the OMM, and certainly is quicker, but that's my elk bow, and the new one I'll take out for grouse and deer this Fall.  Y'all might take a serious look at one, if you are looking to go with a 64-inch longbow![
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington

Offline bigun

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3 Rivers scores again!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 08:43:12 PM »
certainly due like mine,

Offline Linc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 04:15:54 PM »
Now you done it. I have been hemming and hawing trying to decide on whether or not to get one the last few days. I have quite a few selfbows but with just getting back into archery after 10 years their poundages are to heavy for me.
Lincoln E. Farr

Offline Linc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 01:38:55 PM »
The Old Mountain Mesa arrived today. I was very pleased with the looks and finish. Light as a feather in the hand and no noticeable hand shock. I ordered 45# and checked on my scale. The bow was spot on at 45#@28"  and 47#@29". I shot about a dozen arrows in my basement just to start stretching the string.
  The only negative thing I have to say is that there should be an owners manual or information sheet with bow. It would be nice to know the recommended brace height. I have mine set at 6 3/4".
Lincoln E. Farr

Offline Lefty38-55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 01:44:16 PM »
The only negative thing I have to say is that there should be an owners manual or information sheet with bow. It would be nice to know the recommended brace height. I have mine set at 6 3/4".
FYI, I know this is an older post, but 3Rivers has updated the info on the OM Mesa on their website and they now recommend a brace height of 6-7". (I know, very road range, huh?)

That said, I just picked one up and here's my review, from 3 of us shooting and testing it:

Old Mountain Mesa R/D Longbow Review

I had a VERY interesting night last evening at our indoor archery range where my new 64" Old Mountain Mesa ($280) reflex/deflex longbow from 3Rivers tested extremely favorable whilst compared to a custom longbow, that being a 66" Toelke Whip ($925) reflex/deflex longbow.

We had setup a chronograph. My arrows were both 28" long and also had white rings of White-Out correction fluid painted on the tip end at 1” increments to ensure we weighed and drew the shafts to the same point for the bow weight and the speed tests – to strive for consistency. All tests were repeated numerous times and averaged, and then even compared between the three of us left-handed shooters present, as my bows are LH bows.

BOW WEIGHTS – PULL
Both bows were pulling 43#s at my draw length @ 27”.

BOW PHYSICAL WEIGHT
OM Mesa - 1-pound, 6-ounces
Toelke Whip -1-pound, 9-ounces

ARROW SPECS
Big Jim 'Dark Timber' carbon, spine 700, total weight 321-grains, 7.5 GPP
Gold Tip 'Traditional' carbon, spine 600, total weight 374-grains, 8.7 GPP

Both shafts configured with 100-grain Saunders Combo-Points field tips and three 4-1/2" shield-cut feathers, where all nocks were sanded to fit the strings, so they did not clamp onto the strings with excessive grip.

APPEARANCE/HANDLING
The Toelke Whip is absurdly striking in looks, truly custom in all regards, and everyone who picked it up was immediately impressed by the workmanship, design, fit and finish. They even further remarked on how thin (width and thickness) the limb tips are, especially the small point of the upper nock end. If all fairness, for a mass produced ‘factory’ bow, the OM Mesa itself is a good looking bow with light colored limbs as contrasted by the speckled, almost pileated riser section, with overlays on both sides. All archers felt that the contrast of the light-colored limbs and dark riser section gave it a unique and pleasing appearance.

Handling of course, is very subjective and varies from person to person, but all of the LH’d archers with me (two others) all felt both bows handled really well. The Mesa grip is also well proportioned and draws the bow hand right into a consistent and comfortable position.

DRAW/SHOOTING
Neither longbow was felt to stack during the draw either, although admittedly there wasn’t a lefty archer standing over 6’ tall in the group.

NOISE
Probably a ‘draw’ here, no pun intended, as both bows were quiet and for full disclosure they were setup with the heterodyning method of string silencing, with the top silencer placed a quarter of the distance down the bow string from the top limb and a third of the distance up from the bottom limb tip. This process cancels out both the even and odd harmonics generated from the bow string.

SPEED
OM Mesa - GTs 175 FPS, DTs 185 FPS
Toelke Whip - GTs 170 FPS, DTs 180 FPS

SUMMARY – A BEST BUY?
Now not that I'm possessed by speed per se, but the others in attendance were thinking that the shorter-limbed Mesa bow, which definitely has more reflex/deflex to it (when strung), was perhaps more efficient for me with my shorter draw. This may be why the Mesa clocked a little faster for me in this testing. I do think though, that I will go up in my point weight and use 600 spine shafts, so that I’m not too light on the grains per pound (GPP).

Our conclusion is that if one were either a beginner to longbows or had a limited budget, the OM Mesa certainly appears to be a viable ‘Best Buy’ candidate based upon the performance, overall value and price.

Offline charlie chocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 07:45:35 PM »
When I saw the Mesa line up on 3Rivers a while back, I really liked the 60" Mesa II. But before ya know it, they were "gone"...aka unavailable. The other model, the 64" Mesa was still available. Welp, I figured I "done missed the boat" on a Mesa II. Low and behold a really clean, barely used one showed up a few days ago on another forum and it's now sitting in my foyer! It's a 45# model and I'm hoping my 31 5/8" 500 spine Goldtips with a 150 grain point will fly okay at my 28.5" draw length. We shall see but yep...for a "production bow," it sure is purty!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2020 ~ Trad Gang.com ©