INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS
RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Non-Resident Hunting License  (Read 501 times)

Offline Chumster

• BOEUF 2019
  • Trad Bowhunter
Non-Resident Hunting License
« on: December 13, 2018, 06:15:13 PM »
Okay fellas, here is another question with regards to the subject line above. I am going to buy my licenses on line but was a bit confused with the options.  :dunno:

What I'm understanding from the Louisiana DWF, to hunt deer and hogs, you need the following:
1) Daily Non res. small game license - to hunt hogs
2) Daily Non res. deer license - to hunt deer
or
Yearly licenses for both Basic Hunting and Big Game. For this option you would also need the WMA permit.

Past experience and input appreciated.
Never wait too long!

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Non-Resident Hunting License
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 08:36:37 AM »
Rick,

I'd have to check to be 100% sure, but I think you understand things correctly.

In past years I've simply purchased enough daily deer hunting licenses to cover my hunting days. My understanding is that hogs can be taken with any valid license while that species is in season. Below is the note from LWF website:

"1 Nonresidents may purchase temporary hunting licenses to hunt small game (including migratory birds), deer (with any approved weapon), and turkey for one-day periods. These licenses are all inclusive—you do not need any other license—and are valid for one day only."

Offline Chumster

• BOEUF 2019
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 08:55:21 AM »
Thanks for the help Darren,

Thought perhaps you or one of the other returning out of state hunters would be able to verify.

Looking forward to meeting you and the others next month! 

:campfire:
Never wait too long!

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 09:05:34 AM »
Same here, Rick. This hunt is my favorite event on the calendar every year.

Offline Chumster

• BOEUF 2019
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 03:59:48 PM »
Okay, just got off the phone with the Louisiana WF and they verified that I would need the below two licenses if I am hunting both deer and hogs. The deer license didn't cover hogs, only your WMA permit.

1) Daily Non res. small game license - to hunt hogs
2) Daily Non res. deer license - to hunt deer

Depending on what you are hunting, you would need to purchase either a daily small game (hogs only), or deer(only) license, and or turkey(only) license. They verified that purchasing the deer license would not include the killing of hogs.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse.

Never wait too long!

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 06:46:11 PM »
Rick - and anyone else reading this,

This is from the Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries website. Also see the link below.

"Holders of a valid Louisiana hunting license may take coyotes, feral hogs where legal and armadillos year round during legal daylight shooting hours"

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/hunting/outlaw-quadrupeds

This is what I, and several others, have based our license purchases off of the last several years. Definitely something we need to get cleared up.

Offline Chumster

• BOEUF 2019
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 07:26:19 PM »
I'm with you Darren and believe me, that's why I kept questioning the two LFW employees I talked to.
Hunting feral hogs in my home state of Oklahoma only takes a valid hunting license and I was surprised that a special license was needed in Louisiana. Was it due to hunting within a WMA?

Being a newbie here, not trying to stir the pot but do want to stay legal. I sure hope others with investigate and report their findings here as well. I would like nothing better than to only need one license$$$.

Thanks for you input!

Never wait too long!

Online Fattony77

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 01:08:37 PM »
Yeah, if it's 2 licenses/day that I'd have to buy, I'll probably just limit mine to Hogs & small game....

Offline jbpharmd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 01:24:20 PM »
My understanding is the same as Darren’s. “Outlaw quadrupeds” are considered non-game animals and can be taken all year by any hunter with any valid license using any legal weapon.

I would not put too much stock in what the LDWF employees tell you, as I have been given multiple answers to the same question by calling different field offices. Stick to what you find in print in the pamphlet which is backed by state law. (Disclaimer: I do not say this to disparage the men and women who serve at LDWF, but the law is complicated and I would expect very few people to be able to apply it correctly in all circumstances)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Chumster

• BOEUF 2019
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2018, 02:11:48 PM »
I completely understand and do appreciate yours and Darren's input and clarifications.
Never wait too long!

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 09:22:22 AM »
i'm going to have to validate this in the pamphlet, but, i'm almost positive there is no license for a "hog" as there is not a season for Hogs.  They're all able to be killed anytime there is a season in with the legal weapon for that season.  For example, if its squirrel season, I can kill them with any legal weapon for squirrel season. 

If rifle deer, I can kill them with any legal weapon to kill a deer with.  I'm going to get some clarity from this as well.  It may not be until wednesday though.  My days are pretty full at this time, but our basketball season ends tomorrow night so then i'll have my evenings back. 
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 09:31:17 AM »
Per page 6 of this pamphlet. 

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd592600.pdf

You'll only need the big game license that's $36/day.  Buy as many or as little as you'd like.  As stated above.  I wont be able to make it until Thursday evening. 

BUT,
I can see where they can draw that from. 

" Basic Season License is required of all
persons hunting quadrupeds and resident game birds. Additional licenses are
required for deer, bobcat, and turkey. See
page 10 for exceptions and exemptions."

I can assure you there isn't a game warden in the area that doesn't like the idea of killing the hogs out of this area.  I will try to speak to any friend I can. 

If it were me and I were in the OOS boat, I would still use the option I mentioned earlier and just kill a hog if I saw it.  I feel this is a gray area and all you'll have to do is let me come get it.  They are tagged or anything like that, so it wouldn't matter.   I have never noticed this before and I know guys in previous years have just purchased the deer hunting license and hog hunted.  They've also been checked by wardens and they never mentioned a thing..  :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

Online Fattony77

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2018, 09:15:26 AM »
http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/hunting-licenses

According to this page, under the "Licenses and Permits Types and Fees" section, the first footnote says, "1Nonresidents may purchase temporary hunting licenses to hunt small game (including migratory birds), deer (with any approved weapon), and turkey for one-day periods. These licenses are all inclusive—you do not need any other license—and are valid for one day only."

That leads me to believe that the $36 Deer License is indeed sufficient for us to be legal to hunt hogs, squirrels, etc.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2018, 08:20:31 AM »
http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/hunting-licenses

According to this page, under the "Licenses and Permits Types and Fees" section, the first footnote says, "1Nonresidents may purchase temporary hunting licenses to hunt small game (including migratory birds), deer (with any approved weapon), and turkey for one-day periods. These licenses are all inclusive—you do not need any other license—and are valid for one day only."

That leads me to believe that the $36 Deer License is indeed sufficient for us to be legal to hunt hogs, squirrels, etc.

That’s wha everyone has done in precious years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2020 ~ Trad Gang.com ©