Author Topic: The set up you're bringing..  (Read 383 times)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
The set up you're bringing..
« on: December 11, 2018, 02:54:50 PM »
Let's talk a little bit about our setups.. Pics are great!  I'll try to get some up later this week!
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Chumster

• BOEUF 2019
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The set up you're bringing..
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 07:48:11 PM »
Waiting to see what you have there Daniel. Of course I'm a little photo challenged so trying to work that out so I can post some pics.
Never wait too long!

Online Fattony77

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 01:29:28 PM »
I'm planning on bringing my Bear TD with a set of recurve limbs & a set of LB limbs (both around 50-55 at my 29" draw), and a Tred Barta 64" longbow that is just under 65# at my draw. I've got one of Chad Orde's leather string-trackers on the Bear and a few different arrow/broadhead combo's that work pretty well on the range. Hoping to test their lethality (is that a word?) on the LA pork population....

I, too, will try to get some pics up when I can.

Offline jbpharmd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 01:30:40 PM »
No new toys for me: Omega original 45lb 62” r/d longbow. 500 spine trad only shafts with 3x5” shield cut fletchings, standard inserts and 175gr zwickey deltas sharpened using Daniel’s Rada wheelie sharpener method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Fattony77

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 01:39:17 PM »
and 175gr zwickey deltas sharpened using Daniel’s Rada wheelie sharpener method.
I didn't realize that this was THE Daniel that did the video about the Rada sharpener..... :notworthy: And here I thought that Randy was gonna be the only YouTube celebrity that I was hunting with.... :jumper:

All kidding aside, that video helped me IMMENSELY! I'm even sharpening challenged with the KME, so to have an option that is effective AND doesn't take me 2 hours per side was awesome. I bought several Rada's after I found out how well it worked.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 09:14:55 AM »
and 175gr zwickey deltas sharpened using Daniel’s Rada wheelie sharpener method.
I didn't realize that this was THE Daniel that did the video about the Rada sharpener..... :notworthy: And here I thought that Randy was gonna be the only YouTube celebrity that I was hunting with.... :jumper:

All kidding aside, that video helped me IMMENSELY! I'm even sharpening challenged with the KME, so to have an option that is effective AND doesn't take me 2 hours per side was awesome. I bought several Rada's after I found out how well it worked.

when I first got the simmons broadheads they absolutely ate me alive trying to sharpen them.  I watched Chris Spike's method and everything else I could find online.  Then I met up with a guy on our hog hunt named Patrick Donovan Kelly, or PDK25 on here.  He is the one who put me on to the RADA and it has changed my sharpening life, literally.  I had purchased everything under the sun, including a $200 KME set up and nothing worked comparably.  I had used the RADA before and didn't have as good of results.  It took me a little coaching.  Now I use the RADA on every head and knife I want sharp.  The key is don't screw up the bevel free handing stuff! 
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Online Fattony77

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 03:50:16 PM »
I will DEFINITELY take any & all coaching that you can give me. And now, I have a whole 'nother reason for looking forward to this trip.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Offline jbpharmd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 07:26:32 PM »
Well I’ve been broadhead practicing and it got me thinking. I have been using zwickey delta screw-in 2 blades for the last 2 years and they fly great. Last week I started messing with some zwickey eskimo glue-ons I had and when I put them on the grain scale I noted they were 10gr. Heavier than the 125gr posted weight. So, being the mathematical genius that I am I quickly did some figuring on my fingers and toes and found that an aluminum long screw-in broadhead adapter would get me close to the same weight of the deltas. Once I put them together the Eskimos weigh 2gr. less than the deltas. That is plenty close for my terrible shooting form so now I have 2 different broadheads in my bow quiver. The deltas still shoot better (on a purely subjective basis), but I was pretty happy with both of them.

Those deltas just look so funky. Looks like I have a hatchet head on my arrow, but they don’t seem to wind plane as much or as often as the eskimos which is counter-intuitive based on their width.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Petrichor

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 08:35:52 PM »
Have a lot of setups. But this year my 1970 bear tiger cat (bow just turned 50) 50lbs at 26 is getting the call. Spuce shafts magnus 2 blade 160 grain broadheads.  Cant wait to show you all how quiet this three under setup is. It's pretty unbelievable. Thinking of bringing a flatline takedown as a backup bow.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Online Petrichor

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2020, 11:37:22 PM »
Unfortunately, I separated the skin from my nail on my right index finger. Mega pain to release..... bringing my lefty setup instead.
Fred Bear

Online Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2020, 06:03:24 AM »
That does sound painful Dave.

Per my sponsor's contract (  :readit: :saywhat: :laughing:  ), I am only allowed to shoot/hunt with my Primal Tech in public or wherever there may cameras. It's a 57# @ 30" 2 piece take down. Predator II 400 shafts with a few Woodsman bh's and one Simmons. I have been able to miss consistently with this rig for several years now. I see no reason to change.

Online Petrichor

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2020, 02:59:03 AM »
That does sound painful Dave.

Per my sponsor's contract (  :readit: :saywhat: :laughing:  ), I am only allowed to shoot/hunt with my Primal Tech in public or wherever there may cameras. It's a 57# @ 30" 2 piece take down. Predator II 400 shafts with a few Woodsman bh's and one Simmons. I have been able to miss consistently with this rig for several years now. I see no reason to change.
Nice!
Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2018 ~ Trad Gang.com ©