3Rivers Archery

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Trad Gang Member of the Week

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Trad Gang 2018 St Judes Auction ~ BIDDING IS CLOSED!!! THANK YOU!!!

Author Topic: 37 lbs. Enough for whitetail deer?  (Read 1450 times)

Online Don Armstrong

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
37 lbs. Enough for whitetail deer?
« on: December 06, 2018, 06:15:46 PM »
I am going to order a Black Widow recurve. I am having a lot of trouble drawing 45-55 bows. Is 37 enough at trad bows distances, for me, of 15-25 yards. Thanks, Don

Online pdk25

• Contributing Member 2018
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 37 lbs. Enough for whitetail deer?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 06:21:51 PM »
There is a mountain of information on this topic if you use the search function, and the consensus will be yes with most making recommendations of adequate arrow weight, tuned setup, and sharp 2 blade broadhead.

Online Bisch

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 06:26:00 PM »
I have a female friend who is deadly as the plague with a 31# at her draw length recurve. She is obsessive about tuning, and will not take a shot past about 12yds. She kills more critters with that bow than a lot of folks I know do with heavier bows.

I would say you should be fine, but with that low of a draw weight, I personally would limit my shots to under 15yds.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Traditional Bowhunters of Texas Life Member
Lone Star Bowhunters Assn Life Member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• Associate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 06:41:08 PM »
Dad killed probably a dozen or so deer, including a couple big bodied ones, with around a 40lb black widow, that he lightened himself, after he had shoulder surgery. He shot them with somewhat cut down Snuffers. I'd be sure to stretch out and get a good full draw, power stroke means alot with light bows, work up a carbon arrow around 450 grains, and be very picky with shot selection.  I wouldn't be afraid at all to use a narrower type 3 blade, if you want, a woodsman size head would work fine.  Picky shot selection is your friend with lighter bows.

Best of luck!

R

Online RodL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 06:45:21 PM »
Make sure to check your states regulations on min. bow poundage for hunting. A sharp broadhead and a well placed shot at a reasonable distance for that poundage will be fine for whitetail. 

Rodney

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 07:08:44 PM »
Yes it will do the job.

Limit shots to 15 and under.

Online pavan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 07:38:59 PM »
38 at 26, that is what my wife shoots.  She has killed a good number of deer.  She has killed one deer that did not have either two holes or a pass through.  A nice sized doe, jumped the string a little. The right wing original Grizzly head on an old left wing cedar arrow penetrated the back right ham, put a cut on the hip bone and stopped in the front left shoulder about a 20 yard shot with about a 100 yard blood trail.   When I tore a muscle, weight lifting, I used a 37 pound Hill, got a big doe at 18 yards out and up 9 feet from a ravine, perfect lung hit with a 140 grain Hill, a short past through, arrow in two corn rows, the doe went down in sight about 160 yards at the edge of the next available cover.   I am sure a 37 pound black Widow will easily out perform the bows that we are using here and I would not go more than 11 grains per pound or limit the shot length because of poundage.   I would suggest a broad head that penetrates better than average, like a narrower and longer or medium sized two blade. 
Pavan

Online Yooper-traveler

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 08:10:53 PM »
After a shoulder injury (now two) I have had to come back twice from basically starting at about 20 pounds of draw weight.  So, I have a lot of whitetail kills at 34-38 pounds.  I also a lot of experience with heavier weight bows.

My experience(s):

My shots are 25 yards and less.

Most shots (excluding poor shots, misses and hitting the opposite shoulder) are complete pass through shots.

Most broadheads are two blade single or double bevel.  Some are there blade and I’ve used 4-blade (2 main with bleeders) several times.

Most of my arrow weights are 9-11 GPP.

Just a thought, nothing makes up for a poor hit.

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit

Online Modad2010

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 08:14:12 PM »
Definately check state regulations first.
You can fix stupid.......but it's gonna hurt!

Online PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 09:13:58 PM »
Ashby was getting complete penetration on cape buffalo with a 40@27 recurve, so yeah, 37 is PLENTY for deer. This is settled science. It's the arrow that matters - durable, heavy, high FOC, and 3:1 single bevel.

Online the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 09:20:58 PM »
Absolutely!  Tuned arrow, sharp broadhead, and accurate shot placement.  When i hunt i shoot the bow that im the most accurate with.  For me its always a Toelke.  This year its a Toelke Pika 40#.  I used it and a Wapiti 5/16" cedar arrow and Grizzly single bevel with total weight around 400 grains to shoot this lil feller.  I watched him drop.

Online Don Armstrong

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 09:08:06 AM »
Thanks guys, my state Virginia only requires a 7/8" wide broadhead, with no other restrictions. Don

Online J. Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 09:23:59 AM »
Is it enough?  - definitely.  However, as some have mentioned, you have to know your state's regulations.  For example, here in NC a longbow or recurve "must have minimum pull of 40#."  How that's tested - I don't know.  I would assume they'd go by the bow markings/label.  But I know I'd rather have peace of mind that I'm legal as opposed to trying to fit into a loop hole.   

If you can accurately shoot heavier poundage, than I'd always recommend shooting the maximum weight that YOU can shoot accurately and comfortably.  If that's 37# and it's legal in your state...then yes, you can absolutely be successful with that weight with all the proper details falling into alignment. 

A perfect example - I shoot bows that range anywhere from 50# to 70#.  Roughly 5 seasons ago I shot a nice buck with a 65# recurve with 680'ish grain arrows but hit him dead center in the shoulder ball joint.  The arrow penetrated the skin only and fell out on the first jump.  I hit that ball joint so perfectly that I may as well had shot a poured concrete wall.  The deer had a minor cut, and that's it.  Conversely, had I put an arrow about 2 to 3" further back with a well-tuned 37# bow and a sharp broadhead, it would have been a buck on the wall on my living room.

Also, knowing the terrain you will hunt are key as well with light bows in my opinion.  It's very likely you will not have a pass through, and even possible you won't get 2 holes.  But if you know the area, know the deer population's habits, etc. then you will have a higher success rate of tracking a mortally wounded animal - even if it has only an entrance hole and minimal blood on the ground.   

"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 09:53:42 AM »
If you go up to 40lbs you'll be able to hunt legally for deer in other states and provinces (if you ever planned to).  40lbs seems to be the minimum in many places for whitetail.

Online Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2018, 10:13:55 AM »
Yes

Online J. Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2018, 11:41:05 AM »
I guess I should clarify - the ball-like head of the leg bone at the upper leg / scapula joint in the shoulder.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline Sam McMichael

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2018, 12:11:38 PM »
Although I prefer a heavier bow, there is no doubt your bow can do a great job. As mentioned above, I would consider 40# just in case you decide to go to one of those states that sets such a minimum. Just keep 'em sharp and pick a spot.
Sam

Online pavan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2018, 01:40:37 AM »
A strong shot from a 37 pound bow puts out a deadlier arrow than a weak shot from a 55 pound bow.   Light bows can shoot an 11 grain per pound arrow faster than a 65 pound shooting a 10 grain per pound bow.   Clean arrow flight is always deadlier than sloppy arrow flight from an under drawn arrow.   The number on the side of the bow is just a number, an abstract, a number that will give no clue to the actual penetrating performance of that particular bow and arrow combination.  There are many 40 pound bows that will shoot the same arrow the same speed as a 50 pound bow of another type.   Even with ASLs, the casts vary from one makers bow to another by more than just a couple of feet per second.   I have personally lugged out 8 deer shot with 38@26 bows shot at yardages beyond what was suggested here and with penetration far greater than what was predicted here, without a single lost deer.   At first I was worried about the results my wife and kids were going to get.  It didn't take me long to realize that my heavy bow ways were maybe a bit of more work than I needed for Iowa whitetail deer.   My son shot two arrows through a 254 pound dressed buck with a slow bow that was 49 pounds at his draw,  the first arrow was a pass through the lungs about 22 yards, the second arrow was over 50 yards and on the move, again a pass through.   He shot a 205 pound buck with that same slow bow this year, a pass through broke a rib on entry and exit and buried the head four inches into hard dirt.   It pulls 49 pounds at 28".  I have a recurve that pulls about 2 pounds less, that will shoot a stiffer and heavier arrow 40 yards farther that that longbow.  A 37 pound Groves can probably out perform a longbow that is ten pounds stiffer with the same arrow.  There are lots of bows that equal or exceed that old Groves, like the Robertson Wolfers and others.     
Pavan

Online gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member 2018
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2018, 06:33:28 AM »
My wife, in her first season with trad gear, shot this doe at 8yds with her 38@27 St Joe River Torrent.
Total arrow weight 415grains.
Woodsman Broadheads.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2018, 07:37:14 PM »
This season for the first time in my adult life I had to drop down to exactly that weight due to illness. I was skeptical until I started shooting it. Although I was unable to draw heavier, my illness did not affect my draw length which is a bit over 30". So this bow I picked up, a galaxy longbow that's 70" long and draws 37@30", is silky smooth and comfortable to shoot with it's long riser, wide limb and mild r/d construction. I couldn't believe the performance. I did not chrony the bow but I've been shooting for 30+ years and I know what deer-killing speed looks like. I was shooting G/T 500s that weigh about 425 grains. I haven't gotten a shot yet but the season is still open and I hope to get out once or twice more.

Over the course of the season my condition improved a bit and lately I've been shooting a Bear Montana that's 41@30" and performs a bit better to my eye. I may use that the rest of the way. I know my draw length has a lot to do with the performance of that 37 pounder but I honestly would not hesitate with it out to 20 yards. I'm that sure it would do the job if I do mine. FWIW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2018 ~ Trad Gang.com ©