INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Grand Junction Area, Co.  (Read 1867 times)

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Grand Junction Area, Co.
« on: October 24, 2018, 09:53:00 AM »
Hi all, I am a central Illinois longbow hunter.  My daughter and grandson live around Grand Junction, and he is old enough to start getting into traditional bowhunting.  I am beginning to plan to teach and hunt Mule deer out there with him maybe next year.  I tried looking for public land to get tags for and start the process, but little confusing to me.  I would appreciate any information or idea's of public land to hunt mule deer on the western slope.  Thanks.

Online monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grand Junction Area, Co.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 10:07:06 PM »
The western slope is approximately 75% public land so finding a place to hunt should not be too difficult.

Colorado mule deer populations are at a low point and Parks and wildlife don't really have a handle on why.  GJ is near the Piceance basin that has always been good mule deer country.

A good place to research is the Colorado hunting atlas.  It takes some time to learn your way around it but it's worth the effort.

Here's a link. https://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/indexM.html?app=HuntingAtlas
Monterey

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grand Junction Area, Co.
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 11:25:19 PM »
OMG thank you very much, I have been trying to cipher it all out, thanks for the link.  I did see the Mule deer was low, but am sure would still accomplish what I want, just a week camping in tent and teaching him to bowhunt, and stalk.  Thanks again

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2018 ~ Trad Gang.com ©