INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 2018 pictures and stories  (Read 2265 times)

Offline outdoorsforlife

• Trad Bowhunter
2018 pictures and stories
« on: August 17, 2018, 02:34:32 PM »
Well another year is upon us.

What trips are forming up?

I'm using a very short range in my garage to practice (to ensure anchor consistency) to maintain confidence prior to the season.

I found the movie "the push" on YouTube helpful for a few pointers on my anchor.

I'm planning a trip with a guy I met at the Heritage jamboree.  This is another great reason to go.

How are trips forming up for others?

Gordon

Offline outdoorsforlife

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2018 pictures and stories
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 06:12:17 PM »
I'm headed up to 326 this weekend. 

I will sit in a tree Sat evening.

I'm getting things together in the basement and I'm excited.

The week after will be a trip for Bears north of Grande Prairie.

I will try for Moose after that (417, 420).

I may even get a trip in before that to SE BC;).

Good luck everyone.

Gordon

Offline Deertaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 07:38:43 PM »
good luck! I am not going to be doing anything super special this year. Just go out for some deer and see if I can get one!

Offline outdoorsforlife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 08:24:19 PM »
Well I went up North with a friend I shot with at the Heritage classic Jamboree.   I left Wed am and it was approximately ten hours north with stops and purchases.  I was tagged up fo deer, bear, moose, elk, grouse and cougar. 

We got out hunt four days in a row.  There were sightings of Mules, Bear, Crain, Geese and a grouse.    Weather varried quite a bit... but was relatively good. 

Offline outdoorsforlife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 11:20:06 PM »
Planning on possibly heading out Sunday afternoon.  Maybe 410.  I will put a few pics up of the four day trip.

Any suggestions in 410?  Can I hike past the Nordic center tracks and go off their property towards the river like it shows in I Hunter?  I will buy a new land owner map for the county out their... Any suggestions for the right map?  Things change put there fast.

Offline outdoorsforlife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 10:25:18 AM »
I went up to 410 the last week.  Met a few other bow hunters.  I helped a friend sit for his first traditional treestand hunt.  He didn't check out his tree stand before that and didn't have a safety belt.  I had an extra.  We had elk calling around us in three directions, but one of them seemed to be archery hunters.

I got out West of Cow Lake for Moose Saturday in a valley where I have seen moose before.  As soon as I pull out of my Dad's  yard a little wt buck jumped
Infront of the truck.  Of coarse there was lots of Elk sign and no Moose in the valley.  I saw a Martin.  It was a good walk. Surprisingly low deer sign.

Sunday I fastened my Dad's favorite stand on a clearing.  I saw some deer tracks in the snow and trailed them into the bush.  They did a huge circle and came out right under the stand while I was following them.  That of course is where I spooked them.  It was nice to see three WT's ( one medium buck ).

I have set up a couple targets in the garage.  I put up a ladder beside my bow with a camera on it.  It sits right at the end of my bow hand  to film the draw length. I have put some tape on the arrow and marked off 1/2 inch increments.  Been filming my draw length and practicing my shot sequence.  This has helped me ensure that I am loading the back.
 Seeing small groups.

It's a confidence boost adding shoulder forward, and bow elbow back to load back to the shot sequence.    On the camera I have decreased variation in draw length by loading the back.  Anyways seems to be working for me today.  We will see when the animal appears ;).

Good luck everyone!

Gordon
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 01:26:57 PM by outdoorsforlife »

Offline Deertaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 10:30:37 PM »
Sounds like you have been out and trying! I have been working lots and not able to shoot the trad bow as much as I wanted to, that and my girls have started ringette again so busy running them around. I was able to sneak out and shoot some arrows today, but not happy with my abilities. I hope to go to the range and see if I can get the kinks worked out and maybe try for some spot and stalk mulies soon. Also maybe hope to get out and try for moose in the bow zone, but again my shooting needs to get better first!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2018 ~ Trad Gang.com ©