INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Moved from Idaho to Battle Creek. Hunting?  (Read 541 times)

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
Moved from Idaho to Battle Creek. Hunting?
« on: January 04, 2019, 08:19:51 AM »
Hey fellas,
I've never posted here on the Michigan forum, that I remember, only in the Pow Wow,  and I find myself in a pickle sort of. We left the mountains of Sandpoint Idaho, where hunting was as easy as stepping out the front door, and moved to Battle Creek, to get my wife and boys closer to family in metro Detroit yet still be employed with the railroad in the Chicago area. I am able to practice shooting the longbows at home but am unsure of places to hunt. I drove around Ft Custer rec area yesterday and that looks inviting but I'd like to get some experienced opinions of anyone in the area. That rec area is the closest to me, we live in Emmett Charter Township a bit south of the city. Ft Custer looks like they have some great land to hunt but I have no idea if they allow veterans to hunt it or just active military. Any help is appreciated!
All the Best!
Todd Z

Offline finkm1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Moved from Idaho to Battle Creek. Hunting?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 08:22:29 AM »
Welcome to Michigan! Fort Custer recreation area should be State Land open to hunting for everybody. The actual military base may be closed to hunting, I'm not sure. You will be able to go to the Kalamazoo show in a couple weeks.
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Online last arrow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 03:44:07 PM »
Welcome, hope your move meets your families expectations.  Private land in the Battle Creek area should provide great hunting if you can get access, which can be difficult.  Otherwise there is a lot of public land available, especially if you are willing to drive a bit.  Northwest of battle Creek is the yankee springs recreation area, it has good hunting opportunities.   I grew up in the Jackson area and occasionally hunt private land there with old friends but mostly hunt public land in north central Michigan near Manistee, which is closer to my current home in Holland.  Not a lot of deer up there but not a lot of hunters either.  I would be happy to help out in Manistee National Forest if you would like. 

There used to be a pretty good group of trad shooters at the Wilder Creek Conservation Club in Marshall.  They may be able to help out.  Also plan on attending the Kalamazoo expo, it is close and you may meet someone from your area.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline Jon Stewart

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 09:12:35 AM »
Todd, I posted on a couple other posts you made. I forgot to mention Marshall. That is a primitive only shoot but a GREAT shoot and it takes place in May. There will be selfbow makers, flint knappers and a few vendors there. It is a great place for your  entire family to go to and have fun.  You can camp for a small fee and they do have a couple of bathrooms with a shower.  Make sure you check out the Michigan Longbow and Michigan Bowhunters web sites they have more activities.

Offline Msgt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 12:08:38 PM »
Todd, Kellogg forest between BC and Richland is open to bow hunting and has a few different separate areas

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©