Author Topic: On the hunt of MY lifetime...  (Read 3001 times)

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: On the hunt of MY lifetime...
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2012, 05:04:00 AM »
Looks like pretty wild Country there   :D  

Good luck, if you survive it, we'l follow along.

:thumbsup:
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline wooddamon1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2012, 05:15:00 AM »
Be careful over there, looks treacherous!   :saywhat:    :campfire:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2012, 05:52:00 AM »
How did you get a picture of your mirage? Keep your chin up you will get thru the first tough stretch.

Hint, get some sunglasses so the mrs does not see where your eyes are looking.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2012, 06:30:00 AM »
Nice job convincing the wife this wasnt a hunting trip, nice diversion move. I would like to add though you should connsider some lightweight camo on those legs the sunglare might effect your shooting. Good luck with the goats and the roosters, looks like alot of fun to be had by the whole family. Don

Offline oklahomaleatherman

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2012, 07:39:00 AM »
I'm in.  Shoot straight and good luck in those canyons!

K.C.
Oklahoma Selfbow Society member
Oklahoma Bowhunting Council member
Comptons Traditional Bowhunting member

Online pdk25

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2012, 08:25:00 AM »
Good luck, Mike. Should be an awesome trip.  Looking forward to the rest of the story.

Online Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2012, 06:08:00 PM »
Good luck, have fun.

Scott
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2012, 06:50:00 PM »
Oh the humanity! Glad to see some one willing to take one for the team  :rolleyes:
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »
Temporary setback today.  I went to purchase my license, and the area we were going to hunt is closed due to wildfires.  So my buddy came over and we poured thru the topo maps of the different hunt areas, and picked a different area to get our goat stamp for.  Going to hunt the cliffs where it is all goat trails and drop offs.  I should have some good pictures come Wednesday of the area we are going to hunt.  I'm planning a recon trip there to get a good lay of the land.

I got a few bites on doing some Rooster sticking, now to see if the tips pan out with permission to go on their property.  Only time will tell.  It's all coming together, now it's time to go view the daily parade of silicone.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2012, 07:21:00 PM »
Enjoy the parade Mike, must be rough.
I remember when I use to have dreams of silicone.     :saywhat:

Online Cyclic-Rivers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2012, 08:58:00 PM »
Mike, I am looking forward to pictures.  Good luck with the cocks.

I want to show you my arrows. I am fletching them as we speak.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2012, 02:27:00 AM »
Sorry guys, but photobucket is down for site maintenance right now, so the pictures will have to wait.  To bad, because I had some of Topless Tuesday, but I need the storage space for other things.  So place all the blame on Photobucket for you missing out on those.  I will have some of the rest of the trip though coming at a later date when they are up and running again.

As for the hunting, I have not killed (or even shot at) any "Foghorn Leghorns"...YET.  Honestly, hunting them in the populated areas would not be a challenge at all.  If there are people around, the chickes have grown used to them.  I have taken my longbow and arrows everywhere we have gone, and my boys are really wanting some fresh chicken, but I just can't bring myself to shoot something that walks right up to you.  To show my boys how easy it would be to kill a chicken, we were at Spouting Horn (a place where the ocean waves flow thru the lava tubes emitting a loud moan, and spitting sea water straight up into the air), I dropped a corn chip, and chickens came from everywhere to get it.  I had to be quick, but was able to pin 2 down to the ground with my hands.  I did make sure to watch out for some of the larger Foghorns though.  You see the bigger ones have up to 1 1/2" spurs on them, and they look needle sharp.  I don't need any of those sticking me.

I have not given up on my quest of a P&Y Foghorn, but I want a true wilderness one (read that as a challenge), not a citidiot chicken like most of them that are here.

As for the goats, today I went on an aerial recon mission.  I wanted to get a good look at the terrain we will be hunting so what better way to do it than by a single engine prop plane?  I simply cannot wait to get in the mountains to goat hunt.  Waimea Canyon is trully one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen on earth.  Once again, once Photobucket is working, I'll get some good pics up for your viewing pleasure.  

Tomorrow, it's one more day of relaxing/snorkeling on the north side of the island (near Na Pali coast) before going on my excursion.  Originally I had planned on going to the Na Pali Coast to do my part on getting rid of an invasive species (hunting the goats), but the State has performed cull hunts recently and they were near 100% successful, so I had to go with option B, and I'm kind of glad I did for various reasons.  Hearing the goats were nearly all killed off of the Na Pali, was bittersweet, but being an invasive species I can understand.  But on the other hand it is hard to accept that another game animal is gone from such a beautiful location.  

Anyway, I'm going to sign off for now, and will be without internet till Next Monday or Tuesday when I get back to the resort (I know, I'm really roughing it), so there will be no updates from me unless I get cell reception and can phone a friend to let you know how I've done.

Online Bisch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2012, 08:57:00 AM »
Good luck, Mike!!!!!

Bisch
Traditional Bowhunters of Texas Life Member
Lone Star Bowhunters Assn Life Member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2012, 09:09:00 AM »
I love a parade...

Good luck, see you next week.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline kibok&ko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2012, 09:16:00 AM »
:campfire:
save a cow eat a vegetarian !

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »
Good luck Mike and can't wait to hear back from you about your adventure.

Online pdk25

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2012, 08:29:00 PM »
Should get good from here.  Good luck.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2012, 02:23:00 PM »
well, here is the rest of the story...

I rented a cabin in the middle of Heaven...

My buddy that lives on the island arrived a couple hours after I did.  He was a compound shooter, so there will be no more about him in this story, except to say that he is a VERY skillfull mountain climber (which I soon learned is a good trait to have on this hunt), and a true sportsman.

We started the 1st of 2 days of mountain goat hunting by getting up at 4 AM (didn't matter, I couldn't sleep, because all the roosters up crowing all night).

Got in the truck, and went to the hunter check in Station to sign into the unit we were going to hunt.  I asked the purpose for this, and was told that if I don't sign out, they know where to start looking for the body.  "Body"? I asked. Well, that got Mike's mind to thinking...Did I prepare good enough for this trip or not?

After signing in, we drove downhill a little farther to our designated Unit, got out, loaded up our packs and bows and headed out to the Canyon Rim to sit and glass for Hawaiian Mountain Goats...

It didn't take long for me to start hearing the vocal sounds of the goats, but I quickly found out that sound travels for ever here.  What I thought was a goat a few hundred yards away, ended up being 2 ridgelines over.  So from looking at the terrain, I weighed my options, and decided that there has got to be something in one of these valley's.  Well within about 20 minutes, I spoted a couple that were out on the right side of the large outcroping at the end of the ridge in the pictureabove...and so the first stalk commenced.

For those of you that have never been to Hawaii, and hunted mountain goats, your probably much like I was, and think you just wear your swim trunks and flip flops, walk over and stick one and go back to seeing the latest style of bikini on the beach (and yes there are plenty, except for "Topless Tuesday").  Well, that couldn't be farther from the truth.

I set out to get on these 2 goats the easiest way I could figure, and that was by walking the ridgeline I was on, and dropping down and around to get a arrow into one if not both of them, then get back to the beach...Right?  Well, I quickly found out that there was absolutely nothing in the state of Michigan that could prepare me for the terrain I was now hunting, except possibly getting up on top of a house roof that is a 12/12 pitch, or in laymen's terms, a 45* angle with shingles on, but NOT nailed down, and a bunch of loose bolders along the ridge ready to dislodge at any moment from the slightest pressure.  I had to stop 1/2 way thru to not only ask myself why I wanted to do this (answer was simple...I'm a hunter, therefore I hunt), and to get a picture to remind me why I actually do this...

Let me back up a for a second, at the Koke'e State Park, there is a General Store, and on of the items they sell is a stick from the forrest to be used as a walking stick for $7.  I laughed at that and said I would never spend that much on a stick.  Well, my NEW Tall Tines longbow saved my arse more times than I could count in aiding me from going tumbling down the cliff and having a search party come and "find my body".  $7 sounded pretty cheap the first time I had to use my longbow, but then again, they are memory marks, right?

I made it out to the right side of this ridgeline in a little over a hour and more than once I used every muscle in my body to hug the cliff walls. (same pic from above)...

and to my surprise, the 2 goats were still in the same general location, only problem, is I went to far to go any further, and now had to backtrack to get to withing my predetermined hunting distance of 20 yards or less.

Ok, sorry guys, but it's 8:20 in the morning here, and I need to go stake my claim on the beach.  There is just way to much to see, to spend the daylight in the hotel.

:bigsmyl:    

More to come tonight...

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2012, 02:54:00 PM »
that's not right

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator