Author Topic: Island of Kaua'i  (Read 1907 times)

Offline Scott Barr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Island of Kaua'i
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2015, 11:06:00 AM »
Absolutely love this island.  By far my favorite. Great for families and outdoor activities. Way more laid-back than the other islands I have been to.  My wife and daughter like resorts and the pool. I like being active outdoors. There is great hiking here and goats and pigs to hunt. Primarily the former on public land.  So Kauai is an island for all of us to get excited about. Booked a hog hunt through Patrick Fisher, hunting outfitter for all the islands, and for varied game.  Had access and guide on a 16,000 acre ranch.  Saw lots of pigs. Unlike here in California, hunting there is during evening and night using green flashlights that pigs can't see.   Night hunting is not legal in California. Bagged two pigs.  Like game in most warm climates, pigs are smaller than here.  Hundred pounds is a shooter size there. Their behaviors are  different too. Since there are no predators other than people, young pigs run around without their mother. And they don't root up the earth because  because food such as mangoes, papayas and avocados lay in abundance on the ground. Great time and loved the guide.   Working with a traditional bow hunter was new for him and he was quite excited about it. My wife and I are returning in December.  Plan on hunting pigs again and scouting public land on the north part of the island.

Online sheephunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2016, 07:04:00 PM »
Me and my wife will be going in early June and taking our bows! Would primarily be interested in hogs, but goats would be a bonus. Where Doug Campbell and Steve went looked a little to steep for me (afraid of heights). Any help on pointing us in a good direction would be much appreciated! We will be hunting public land.
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 58@28
Black Canyon 62" 3PC LB 60@28
Great Plains 64" 1PC LB 57@28
Thunder Mtn. 62" 1PC FB 57@28
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."-Winston Churchill

Offline Scott Barr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2016, 11:12:00 AM »
Sheephunter,  for hunting public land,  will have to be the very north end of island. Trails are good.  But you'll have to pack in to get away from all the foot traffic.  Bring hiking sandals as trails are often slippery and up to ankles in mud in places and fording rivers.  True rain forest on northern end. For private land contact Outfitter Patrick Fisher.  Lots of pigs on private land. Enjoy. Not very expensive for pigs. Scott

Online sheephunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2016, 08:08:00 PM »
Awesome! Thanks for the info Scott!
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 58@28
Black Canyon 62" 3PC LB 60@28
Great Plains 64" 1PC LB 57@28
Thunder Mtn. 62" 1PC FB 57@28
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."-Winston Churchill

Offline RGKulas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2017, 02:50:00 PM »
I'm heading here for a week in March of 2018. What species can I hunt there in March?

Online slatty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2019, 12:17:02 AM »
I just returned from a week in Kauai, which was great. I didn't have my bow as I wasn't anticipating hunting opportunities but I wish I had it. I think Kauai has some interesting hunting opportunities. I'll write below what I found on my "scouting" trip. Keep in mind the caveat that i'm a Canadian and I have not hunted Hawaii. There likely are some legal or logistical things that i'm not aware of.

On the west of the island, heading up into Waimea canyon, there are numerous "hunter ridge roads" that seem to be only open to hunters. I believe hunting on the island takes place on fri, sat, sun and holidays. These ridge roads seem to run west off the highway up to waimea canyon. I spoke to some hunters and there seem to be huntable populations of pigs, goats, and blacktail deer. I was surprised about the blacktails. I don't know any details of whether this hunting is open to nonresidents or seasons. I saw feral goats on the side of the road on the way up to the canyon. I didn't have optics with me so didn't get a good sense of what's in the hills. On the way up to waimea canyon there is a mandatory hunter check-in station where hunters note their time in, time out, and harvest details. There is an archery log and I noted at least one archer was successful on a goat on the weekend prior to me being there. The landscape is steep, rugged, and thick, and would be dangerous when wet as it is quite cliffy. For myself, I would love the opportunity to spot and stalk hunt for goats and wish I would have done that.

Another reason I would bring a bow is to shoot some chickens. Man those things are absolutely everywhere. I've eaten old laying hens at home and can make a great pulled chicken and I would certainly harvest some there. They are also feral and from what I read, you can shoot as many as you want.

Hope someone finds this useful. I'll post this as well on another thread I started prior to my trip, looking for public land hunting info.
Mike

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©