INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: What did you see today? 2016/2017  (Read 10788 times)

Online Cyclic-Rivers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
What did you see today? 2016/2017
« on: September 27, 2016, 07:03:00 AM »
Good morning Friends.  As NY bow season kicks off for some up north and soon for the rest of the state, I would like to start this great idea of a thread which Izzy conjured up last year.  

Its a great way to see if deer movement is the same state wide which would help determine if poor movement may be weather related or spot specific due to food or pressure.

Plus I enjoy hearing about all the other stuff, Owls, Fishers, Bobcats, Pine Martins, heck even squirrels.

So good luck guys this year, and What did you see today?
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online ronp

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What did you see today? 2016/2017
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 10:03:00 AM »
So far only my computer screen and visions of this, in the Moose River Plains:

I'll be there in the morning!
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 10:05:00 AM »
Light rain here this morning. I don't normally hunt in the rain but decided since I was up anyway to give it a shot. Had a lone doe feeding out in front of me for about 35 minutes. First saw her around 7:20am. Would catch occasional glimpses of her through the heavy undergrowth. No shots but glad I went out.
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Online Sean B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 08:07:00 PM »
Passed on a straight down shot on a fat Delaware County doe.  She came in on my "tree" side. A few more steps and I would have had her at 15 yards broadside. She turned and csme in straight at me head on. She came right to the base of my tree. She walked off never offering up a shot. Saw two more doe's and two grouse.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
Tall Tines
Robertson Tribal Styk

Online Cyclic-Rivers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 07:40:00 AM »
Saw a doe this afternoon on public land.  first time hunting the spot and she came in from  a direction I didn't expect.  My wind was every which way anyhow, something to keep in mind when the forecast says SE wind.

she came and went, winding me every time 3 times then must have come back because she blew when I shouldered my stand.  closest she came was 40 yards. she badly wanted to be where I was.  squirrels were busy moving acorns.

My buddy watched a Bobcat ambush and kill a housecat.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Online PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 12:08:00 PM »
Hunting in the Catskills Saturday. Heavy mist all day long. Temps in the 50s and totally overcast. On  stand at 6:30 - 10:30, Nada, nothing, zipo. Hunted again from 3:00 - 6:00 close to a field. Had a mangy coyote come in from behind me. He was at 5 yards before he turn to and walked away. Had no idea I was there. Slow start.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
Bear Take Down 50#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline woodchucker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 09:54:00 AM »
Went over to the cabin and hunted the mountain in Deleware Co. for the weekend. Looked like a wash out, but hey, you don't know... If you don't go!? Sat morning, Little Bear (Tyler) saw a doe & 2 fawns, but didn't want to shoot them,LOL!!! (they looked so cute!!!) On the way down the mountain for lunch, he kicked a spikehorn out of the mountain laurel, but couldn't shoot him because of the stupid 3 point antler restriction!!!   :mad:  This however, proved to be a good thing.....   ;)  

Sunday morning, I told Tyler to go up and sit where he shot his 6 pointer last year. I told him I was going to sit on the lower logging road below him until about 10;30, then swing around the mountain up to him and see if I could move something his way. Preffering to walk around, he was not thrilled with my plan...!! I got up and made my swing up toward him, and as I got up on the flat, he saw me and quickly come walking over..... (something's up? He shot or missed something...)

"What'd ya see???" he asked. "Nothing but squirrels" I replied. "What'd you see???" I asked. (I could see he was busting,ready to say something!) "I SAW A BUNCH OF DEER!!!!!" He blurted out, LMAO!!! He walked up on 2 Does with 2 fawns each, when he come up onto the flat where he sits... They scattered when they saw him!!! About an hour later, he had 2 twin spikes, come down off the bench above him. With the wind in his favor, they had no idea he was there..... 1 stopped about 5 yards away, wondering what this "blob" under the Hemlock was...?? He sniffed & snorted, but couldn't get his scent. Then he stepped closer... Sniff & Step... He closed the distance. Little Bear, never moved..... About 5 feet away, Tyler said "Hi"... The spike dropped in a squat!!!!! Sniff, Snort, Stomp... "HI" The spike squatted & backed up... Then trotted behind a clump of laurel. Peering through and over the laurel, he still couldn't figure out what that "thing" was...?? He started to sniff & step his way around, trying to wind him. The other spike, wondering what the excitement was, decided to follow... Finally, the little Buck, Got Little Bear's scent... With a loud snort & spin, they both headed back up the mountain from where they came.....
There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Online Cyclic-Rivers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 07:23:00 AM »
Hey Chuck, It sounds like you and Little Bear had a  great weekend in the Catskills...
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline woodchucker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 10:18:00 AM »
Thanks, Charlie!!! Wish we could have shared more hunts together, but the ones we had, will always be cherished memories for Tyler & I..... You will be missed, My Brother!!!
There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Online Cyclic-Rivers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 06:57:00 AM »
Thanks Chuck    :campfire:  

We will hunt again someday, and we will always be hunting in my fond memories of trips to your place.

Charlie
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Online Cyclic-Rivers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 08:54:00 PM »
Yesterday I saw Nada.  Thats not entirely true, I saw a fox on the way to the woods and a squirrel in the parking lot as I was leaving.

a good buddy of mine shot a doe with his vintage recurve today.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Online glenbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 04:55:15 AM »
Boy it has sure been a while since anyone has posted here. Deer sightings have been at an all time high this year. I have been into deer every sit but haven't drawn my bow yet. The best is yet to come.

Online Cyclic-Rivers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2018, 12:18:42 PM »
Go get em Glen!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Online huntmaster70

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2018, 02:06:34 PM »
Its been a real slow season for me but the deer were moving yesterday. I was blessed with an opportunity at a 6pt from my Waldrop Pac Seat & made a good shot. Fresh ven. liver & onions for supper! :thumbsup:

Online ronp

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2018, 08:03:58 PM »
A little late but, Congrats Terry! 
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Online huntmaster70

• Trad Bowhunter