INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Stump Shooting On NY Watershed Property  (Read 458 times)

Online PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
Stump Shooting On NY Watershed Property
« on: March 29, 2016, 08:16:00 AM »
Really love roving and stump shooting but only have access NY Watershed open to hunting. I went out this weekend and had 200 acers to myself. It was the end of crow and coyote season. I'm in Westchester County, a bow only suburb 50 miles north of NYC. It's my understanding you can only be in the woods on this property with archer equipment during legal hunting seasons and with appropriate licenes. As per the DEC, red squrriels are available to hunt year round with no limit. I'm not looking to really hunt I just want to get on the Water She'd property legally.

Any advise or thoughts?
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Online PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stump Shooting On NY Watershed Property
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 08:16:00 AM »
So here's a quick update for anyone interested.
Call the DEP for my area. Their answers was " as per the our website Red Squirrels are not protected so they are available to hunt all season with the appreciate license, muskrat can not be hunted with gun or bow, only trapped. But you need to check with the DEC as watershed property is directly controlled by that agency."

OK

3 calls later to the DEC.
Call one - "You need to call the DEP."
Call two - "This is NYC DEC and I have no idea about hunting. But I can tell you there is no hunting aloud in New York City."
Call Three - directly to law inforcement at the DEC.
You should be able to hunting for Red Squirrels with the appropriate licence, muskrat as well. BUT you should call the DEC."

Very frustrating that it takes 4 called to government agencys that control the environment and land in NYS and can't a a definitive answer to a simple question. All I'm doing is trying to abide buy NYS hunting regulations.So I will be out this weekend licence and back tag on, armed with my bow and copies of the NYS Water Shed rules hunting rules and red squirrel regulations just in case. All of this for a 3 hour rove!
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline Tony Z

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 11:20:00 AM »
A lot of these guys don't know the laws. They are just waiting for the next "real" police job to open so they can transfer. If you are talking about the land around Croton reservoir there is no small game hunting permitted. It's only open for archery deer. Hope this helps. Tony Z

Online PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 02:06:00 PM »
Hey Tony Z,

Thanks. I've hunted the New Croton unit during deer season. No turkey hunting aloud there either. I'm looking at a couple other units that look like they are open for small game. I'm really just looking for an accuse to get on the property to go stump shooting. I just don't want to have any hassles with uninformed neighboring landowners or DEP agents.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Online Cyclic-Rivers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 10:30:00 PM »
Its best to get a number for an encon officer and speak with them since they are usually the ones enforcing the laws.

I tried to pick up a road kill this year and the sheriff office told me to call DEC when I wanted it legally Tagged.  DEC told me they cannot tag a road kill carcass tag because deer season was over 2 days prior.

I watched that deer rot on the side of the road when I had an empty freezer.

Make sure you get the name of whomever you speak with if they tell you Its ok to do something.  it may not help but cant hurt.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 09:25:00 AM »
Hey Charley,

I printed out all the rules and regs I could find on DEC website as well as the name and number of the DEC person I spoke to on Wednesday. She said confirmed red squirrel is unprotected and can be hunted all year round. More then that I can't do.
I just hope the DEP agents know the regs!
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Online Cyclic-Rivers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 09:52:00 PM »
Good thing you have the name of whom you spoke with and printed regs.  carry them with you but I am assuming you will not have much if any issues.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Shinnecockfly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 06:12:00 PM »
Called last year about stump shooting out here on the island talked to 3 different people till the receptionist boat or person working there put me through to an officer who patrols the area I hunt. Said they never heard of stump shooting and that it's target practice which is illegal, so I just wait till small game to stump unfortunately so at least I can't get in trouble. Amazing how with each question I got multiple answers!!!
Trad titan 62" 50#
Northern mist classic 68" 52#
Martin hunter 62" 50#
Martin savannah stealth 62" 40#
Bighorn ramhunter 62" 60#
Bismillah

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©