INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: TBONY 2015 Hunt*** 1st TBONY Hunt Success!  (Read 799 times)

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
TBONY 2015 Hunt*** 1st TBONY Hunt Success!
« on: January 28, 2015, 09:06:00 AM »
Happy New Year folks hope all is well with you all. With the deer seasons over Ive been hunting bunnies but still can't get deer off of my mind. October is a long way off but its not to far off to start planning for.

The Moose River hunt is something that I enjoy immensely and will probably still be doing that but we have some other plans in the Adirondacks so an official group hunt as in years past might not happen. Not to say we won't be hunting there but we won't be calling it "THE" annual hunt.

With that in mind, Sean B and I have been discussing a Catskill hunt for the annual TBONY hunt. I hope this will accommodate you more southern fellas who don't hunt the Dacks. I shamefully have zero experience hunting the area but Sean has been hunting those woods his whole life so he is the man with the plan. Mid October is the plan. This will be a camping hunt and Sean will fill in the details.

This weekend will find deer, bear and small game in season as well as the bearded devils known as turkey. There is also an AR program in the region.

Only requirements are to have a license, trad only and have fun. Lets make it happen.

Online kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TBONY 2015 Hunt*** 1st TBONY Hunt Success!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 11:45:00 AM »
barring any unforeseen circumstances , i'm in.  
 i had fun at moose river last yr so lets do something again.
 never hunted the catskills either but ive spent alotta time in roscoe flyfishing.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
BHA,RMEF,PBS,Compton

Online ronp

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 06:16:00 PM »
You know that I'm definitely in for that, Izzy!  

I think it'd be a real good idea to move THE annual TBONY hunt around a little.  I sure love the 'Dacks and want to get back over there, but would also really look forward to a new area, especially the Catskills.  I've never hunted anywhere near there.

So let's do it!
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 06:21:00 PM »
You can bet I'll still be going to the moose, I need that hunt every year. I agree that we should move the annual hunt at least every other year.

Online ronp

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 06:30:00 PM »
Man, now you got me looking forward to October already!  This sounds like a really good idea.  Nothing better than camping out and doing a little huntin',
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Online Sean B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 07:13:00 PM »
Ok guys, here's the details of the October 2015 TBONY hunt:  the hunt will be the weekend of the 17th and 18th in Delaware Co.  The WMU is unit 4P and will be in its 3rd season as a QMA with antler restrictions of 3 pts/side.  Theres a lot of land owned by NYC that's open to the public.  There's a farm that I used to hunt that has been sold to the city and is open for hunting.  You will need a NYC DEP Access permit.  I will include the website to down load the application and mail it to Kingston. The permits are free.
 http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/html/watershed_protection/recreation.shtml

There's also state land not too far.  In years past, there really hasn't been a lot of pressure from bowhunters in these areas, hopefully there still isn't.  I'm also going to look into some private property that I may be able to get permission to hunt.  

Now, as far as camping, we can set up camp on my parents property.  it won't exactly be the wilderness camping that the 'Dacks have to offer, but it'll be home for a weekend. I will try to either leave work early Friday the 16th to bring every one in, if not, It'll be later on in the evening.  Any questions, feel free to ask!  

We should have a good chance at Turkeys possibly a bear, some good bucks and there's usually a good amount of fat does.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
Tall Tines
Robertson Tribal Styk

Online Cyclic-Rivers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 09:49:00 PM »
I hunted this area once and saw a lot of deer. It is beautiful and hope I can make this hunt.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online ronp

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 07:39:00 AM »
I'm looking at some maps and WMU 4P looks to be about in the middle of the Catskills.  Nice looking area.  Is there a village nearby or a road or intersection nearby where we would be hunting?  I'd like to zero in on the specific area to look at some online topo maps.

Thanks!
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Online Sean B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 07:58:00 AM »
Hey Ron. Theres a buch of places I'll be scouting. One piece of DEP prop hasn't even been posted yet.  Look around the town and village of Andies. Shaver Hollow rd area.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
Tall Tines
Robertson Tribal Styk

Online ronp

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 08:09:00 AM »
Thanks Sean, I will check them out.  I'm already looking forward to this!
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Online Sean B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 09:02:00 AM »
Great. I pretty confident we'll have some action. I can make some ground blinds. Climbing stands would be the way to go for those who want to hunt from a tree. If I can get some private land, I'll put a few hang on stands. Dicks has the ladder stands that Guru likes on sale.  I may buy one or two of them.

The terrain is mostly hilly farm country.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
Tall Tines
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 01:49:00 PM »
I'd be glad to meet up with you over the summer Sean. A scouting/fishin mission.

Online Sean B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 02:15:00 PM »
With out a doubt bud. Bring the boys!  The Popacton res has some great smallies.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
Tall Tines
Robertson Tribal Styk

Online PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 05:51:00 AM »
I'm in, please include me in on any summer scouting outings.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
Bear Take Down 50#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2015, 06:04:00 AM »
My bow and tent are at the ready! Were getting closer.   :campfire:

Online PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2015, 06:57:00 AM »
Hey Izzy can you fill us in on any info as to the specifics. Where, when, etc. I'm really interested in being included in the hunt
Predator Hunter 46#@28
Bear Take Down 50#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2015, 09:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by Sean B:
Ok guys, here's the details of the October 2015 TBONY hunt:  the hunt will be the weekend of the 17th and 18th in Delaware Co.  The WMU is unit 4P and will be in its 3rd season as a QMA with antler restrictions of 3 pts/side.  Theres a lot of land owned by NYC that's open to the public.  There's a farm that I used to hunt that has been sold to the city and is open for hunting.  You will need a NYC DEP Access permit.  I will include the website to down load the application and mail it to Kingston. The permits are free.
  http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/html/watershed_protection/recreation.shtml  

There's also state land not too far.  In years past, there really hasn't been a lot of pressure from bowhunters in these areas, hopefully there still isn't.  I'm also going to look into some private property that I may be able to get permission to hunt.  

Now, as far as camping, we can set up camp on my parents property.  it won't exactly be the wilderness camping that the 'Dacks have to offer, but it'll be home for a weekend. I will try to either leave work early Friday the 16th to bring every one in, if not, It'll be later on in the evening.  Any questions, feel free to ask!  

We should have a good chance at Turkeys possibly a bear, some good bucks and there's usually a good amount of fat does.
It's all right here bud. Post any specific questions here and we'll see if we can narrow it down.

Online Sean B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2015, 11:30:00 AM »
It's looking good, I'll be doing some scouting with in the next month/month and ahalf. Lotta heavy trails during the turkey season.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
Tall Tines
Robertson Tribal Styk

Online Sean B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2015, 05:36:00 PM »
Ok,its getting close!!  There's been a few big bears that's been sighted on the mountain. If just like to get a head count. I need to plan for food.  I apologize for not updating the post more often, but it's been a busy summer for me.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
Tall Tines
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2015, 08:01:00 PM »
I might can talk Cuz into coming along. Hes going to Moose River with me this year for his first tent hunt, he'll probably be hooked.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2018 ~ Trad Gang.com ©