INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Dang Deer Cost Me A Squirrel!  (Read 286 times)

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Dang Deer Cost Me A Squirrel!
« on: September 10, 2014, 07:59:00 PM »
Finally got out after squirrels today although I was distracted by picking mushrooms.

Missed one by a hair and had about 10 other encounters that just didn't pan out.

I finally found a youngun of the year who wasn't too spooky and allowed me to put on a good stalk. Just as I was about to get my shot 6 deer came trotting up the hill nearly running right into me. By the time they cleared the flat, the naive, easy squirrel musta had enough and had disappeared.

White oaks are falling finally and I hope to get another crack at a squirrel or two, as long as the deer won't interfere.    :knothead:

Offline Tony Z

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dang Deer Cost Me A Squirrel!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 08:37:00 AM »
Usually it's six squirrels to one deer. Great acorn crop down here in the lower Hudson Valley too. Keep after 'em. Tony Z

Offline The Ole' Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dang Deer Cost Me A Squirrel!
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 07:41:00 AM »
Same here up in Saratoga County...lots of acorns on the ground thanks to the windy conditions we have been experiencing lately. I'm seeing squirrels but not the numbers I've seen in the past couple of years however like you Izzy, I'm looking foward to a tasty squirrel pot pie or hearty woodsmen stew.  Keep at, it'll soon come all together.  Also, I've been trying to arrow a nice, acorn-fat turkey as well.  Tried luring in 7 longbeards the other day but they only gave me a glance or two when they heard my course yelping.  I'll keep at too, because I also enjoy turkey pot pie as well.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©