INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Teatown Reservation in Westchester  (Read 371 times)

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Teatown Reservation in Westchester
« on: September 05, 2014, 01:49:00 PM »
Having lost my hunting spot of the last 6 years I was excited when a friend told me that Teatown Reservation was opening its land to bowhunters this season. I sent their contact person an email last night inquiring into the specifics of their program and the required proficiency test. Here is the reply I received.

Hi Fred,

Thanks for contacting me and for your interest in our program.  I spoke to a number of colleagues about your request as I wanted to get a better feel for this.  All agreed that managing deer with traditional bows is much more of a challenge than using compounds.  As the primary goal of our program is to reduce the deer herd as efficiently as possible, I don't think we will be using traditional bows at this point.  However, this may change in the future.

Mike

While I can appreciate their wanting to decrease the size of the herd the fact that they think that traditional bows are incapable in fulfilling that goal really ticks me off.
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Online kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Teatown Reservation in Westchester
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 02:30:00 PM »
what did your email to them say about your bow of choice. did it mention trad bows as being a challange.
 do they have a requirement as far as yardage is concerned.
 dont see why they would discount a traditional bow as far as its ability to reduce a deer herd.
 seemed to work pretty well for our ancestors
USAF Medic 1982-1992
BHA,RMEF,PBS,Compton

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 03:05:00 PM »
In my email I told them that I used traditional bows and that In doing so I liked to keep my shots to 15 to 20 yards and asked about the specifics of the proficiency test which they did not provide in their response.  I plan on writing a reply.
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Online kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 03:20:00 PM »
probably time to buy a crossbow. LOL
 hopefully they will see the err in their ways.
 good luck brother.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
BHA,RMEF,PBS,Compton

Online Cyclic-Rivers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 10:22:00 PM »
Fred.  If their proficiency test is 25 or 30 yards and you pass it, who cares what you use?

Sounds to me they are ignorant but if you change your approach perhaps you can teach them and sill get to hunt there.

Good luck, I hope every thing goes better.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 09:15:00 AM »
Charlie, I guess it was my mistake telling them that I shoot trad bows and should have shown up at the proficiency test with recurve in hand. I still don't know the specific requirements for the test but I checked with a county owned park that allows bowhunting and theirs is 3 out of 5 arrows in a nine inch target at 30 yards. I did send Teatown a reply but am not holding my breath that they will reconsider.

Hi Mike, I appreciate your getting back to me. While I fully understand the desire to decrease the herd size the notion that traditional bows are incapable of helping achieve that goal is bothersome. Traditional bows are quite capable of shooting at greater distances than my self-imposed restrictions and taking deer. I choose to limit my shot distance for a few reasons.
                       1. It increases the challenge of bowhunting which I believe is part of the sport
                       2. I enjoy watching deer undetected at such a close distance
                       3. It decreases the chance that my arrow gets deflected by an unseen branch or that the deer moves or jumps the string before I get off the shot
                       4. And finally it increases the percentage that the shot I make will be a clean kill shot and not that I have to try and track a wounded deer because my arrow was off target because the shot was far, I didn't hit the deer in the vitals or my arrow penetrated poorly.

Good luck with the program and I hope that at some point you reconsider.

Offline Tony Z

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 11:52:00 AM »
Hey guys I just saw this. I attended this "test" once. Not one applicant showed up shooting a stick bow. As you can imagine all the latest gadgets were seen. Didn't seem to help a few guys as they missed the whole target. A lot of guys could flat out shoot as well. But all that aside, I truly believe that the organizations involved in this management hunt already have hand picked the hunters they want long before the shooting test ever occurs. Tony Z.

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 12:49:00 PM »
Tony, what distance did they have you shooting at? Fred

Online Cyclic-Rivers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 09:32:00 PM »
Well thought out response Fred.  I still think the organizers may be too dense to get it.

Either way I hope it works out for the best.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Tony Z

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 04:52:00 PM »
Fred, it was 25 yards with broadheads at an 8" paper plate.

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 06:17:00 PM »
Thanks Tony.

Offline craigski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 08:09:00 AM »
If they think that they are helping there cause by excluding the trad archers we all know they are wrong. You will not find many wheel bow shooters who practice as often who work as hard the perfect arrow flight and general woodsmanship as the trad community so I guess I see it as there loss and who knows maybe one day the real game managers of the world will get involved and keep the polititions and the uninformed out.

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 08:25:00 AM »
I believe Tony hit the nail on the head with his assessment...

", I truly believe that the organizations involved in this management hunt already have hand picked the hunters they want long before the shooting test ever occurs. Tony Z."

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2015, 10:46:00 PM »
It's a fine line. These programs are looking to reduce deer. Period. If they can provide some recreational opportunities for some people, thats great. They are looking for people who can put down lots of deer. The best way for them to do that is have guys whose comfort zone for shooting is double or triple what you said yours was. I think if you showed up and qualified they would not have said no. I have been involved in a few programs for many years, I see both sides. I decided against hubting teatown because of the micro management. I have been involved with the county program for 5 years and enjoy it. I hunt with both wheels and stick there. There is s push to kill deer and would love everyone to shoot 10+, but they are happy if you only get one or two. It looks like it might be opening back up this year for new applicants. If you can pass the proficency test they have no problems. Another program to looks into is the Angle Fly program in Somers. They take anyone who can pass the test. No micro managing whatsoever. It's s tough place to hunt but I've take a pile of does and a few really nice bucks there.

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 08:39:00 AM »
Greg, I've been in touch with Bob Mendoza at Angle Fly and intend to take their proficiency test. Unfortunately right now I am recovering from having 3 tears in my retina lasered this past week and will have to see how I progress.

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2015, 09:17:00 AM »
I hope the healing goes well and quickly for you! Bob is a great guy to deal with, he's very layed back. Since the state helped the town buy Angle Fly it mandated that it be hunted. So although they want deer reduced it's really more of s recreational opportunity which is great. I'll post on here when the county figures out what they are doing this year.

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2015, 09:39:00 AM »
These are my 2 best deer taken on Angle Fly. I missed one that was way better and my buddy took one very similar to the 8 point I got. It's not easy hunting there but there are some nice deer if you think outside the box a little.

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2015, 10:30:00 AM »
Nice deer? I'd say!!!! Congrats!

Online Cyclic-Rivers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2015, 05:59:00 PM »
Great Deer Greg!

Fred, I hope the healing goes well.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2015, 06:14:00 PM »
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the well wishes. Seeing as how I lost the vision in my right eye years ago I really need to baby my left eye and be aware of any changes in my vision.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2018 ~ Trad Gang.com ©