INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: zwickeys driving me mad  (Read 201 times)

Offline craigski

• Trad Bowhunter
zwickeys driving me mad
« on: August 13, 2014, 03:08:00 PM »
I have decided to make the full switch to trad gear this year. I have great flight and they hit like a ton of bricks but can not seem to get a razor edge on them. they are sharp and it took awhile to get them that way the factory grind was rough to say the least. They are close to razors but can not seem to get them that final hone to shaving sharp and that is no good for me. Any ideas or help is welcome. heads look great and have shot a few woodchucks with them out to 30 yards clean pass throughs but would like a finer edge for the whitetails. If you have a trick or tip please let me know

Offline The Ole' Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: zwickeys driving me mad
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 04:10:00 PM »
Try stropping them on an old piece of leather belt with some jewelers rouge smeared on the rough side of the belt.  That should take off the metal burr while honing them razor sharp.

Offline woodchucker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 05:47:00 PM »
Why??? Sharp is sharp! Either with a "burr" or without.

Basicly, You are trying to "hone" a razor edge,on a piece of sheetmetal. A very keen edge, will quickly become "dull" just by putting them in & out of a bowquiver. Carry a stone or file with you, and touch them up on a regular basis.
There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline woodchucker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 07:49:00 AM »
Hmmmmm, Seems like I kinda shut ya down...

Sorry Craig, That wasn't intended at all!!!

I have a couple good files,a double and a single cut Bastard file. A good Coarse & Medium Grit stone, and a super fine grit Carborundum "Razor Hone" that belonged to my Grandfather. With these things, I can get just about anything, Hair popping "razor sharp" I have been doing it for years,way before "Sharpening Systems" "Diamond Hones" and Ceramic Thingys...

Good Hardened steel stays SHARP, for a long time!!!!! Honestly, The only time I use my Razor Hone, is on my good hunting knives. It usualy only takes a few strokes, to bring back that hair shaveing edge. However... Most broadheads, are not high quality hardened steel!!! They're basicly hardend,tempered,sheetmetal. Yes, You can get them "razor" shaveing sharp... But, they DO NOT stay that way for long!

On Zwickeys, I usualy use just my files. On a new set, I take a short piece of wood shaft and taper one end.(This is my "handle") Then, I take the new head and press&twist it on the shaft, so I can work. I start with the double cut file, to develope a BALANCED edge on each side. Use light even strokes,and make sure you use the same number of strokes on each side!!! The key, is a BALANCED edge! The purpose of "stropeing" is to work the "burr" back&forth, untill it breaks of. Basicly,you are doing the same with the file! Your first stroke, should be acrossed the broadhead and off the edge. This will create a "burr"... Your next,(and ALWAYS your last) stroke, should be into the edge & acrossed the broadhead. This will take off the "burr". Once you have a good edge started with the double cut file, you can switch to a single cut file, for a keener and finer edge. Remember, LIGHT strokes! and ALWAYS, make your last stroke INTO the edge!

Once you get them sharp, it only takes a few strokes now and then, to touch them up!!!!!    :thumbsup:    

Hope this helps, Good Luck this Season!!!!!    :archer:
There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2018 ~ Trad Gang.com ©