INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: A cougar was seen in the wild in Veron Parish....  (Read 554 times)

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
A cougar was seen in the wild in Veron Parish....
« on: August 31, 2011, 12:46:00 PM »
I thought I saw one once , scary 40 yds. away from me, people thought , I was seeing things...For Louisiana thats news...any thoughts..thanks mark
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Don Stokes

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A cougar was seen in the wild in Veron Parish....
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 02:16:00 PM »
I've seen two where they're not supposed to be, both clear, unquestionable sightings. One on the MS/AL border on highway 78, and one in SC crossing the highway right in front of me. The one on the MS/AL line was sitting on a high bank over a road-killed spike buck that it had been feeding on after dragging it into the ditch. It looked like a big, mature animal. The one in SC looked younger and rangy. It cleared the pavement of a two-lane highway in one jump, shoulder to shoulder! Two more jumps put it into the crop field bordering the highway. In both cases I looked for tracks with camera in hand, but found nothing to prove what I'd seen.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Rookie@51

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 07:15:00 PM »
I have seen 3 of them in the area where I live. We took plaster cast of the tracks two times. I was 18 years old the first time I saw one. I'm 53 now. I have a buddy that saw one about 5 years ago while hunting. Not to long after that his father n law found tracks outside his shop and took cast of his feet. The next morning he heard this cat scream out as he was walking out to his shop. The LDWF said there were not any of them in the state. I laughed... It has been a few years but we would find where they had killed hogs and would eat what they wanted and then would cover the rest with leaves. We have them here in Louisiana.......Dusty
66" Shadowcast Longbow 58# @ 28"
 By Tree's Custom Bows.
60" FireFly take down Longbow 54# @ 28" By Mr. Jim Jones

Be the kind of man that when your feet hit the floor
each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, He's up!"

Offline ARCHER2

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 01:38:00 PM »
Dusty,
You are exactly right! We do have them in LA.
Me and a buddy was hunting Tensas a few years ago and saw two walk across a wide open woods road. There was no mistaking what it was, but as in your case, the wardens said no, there were none there.Wrong! I've seen a couple at different times down around Winnfield when I was younger.
                 Charlie
But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength:they shall mount up with wings as eagles:they shall run and not be weary:and they shall walk and not faint......Isaiah 40;31

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline rod251

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 05:16:00 PM »
Saw one in northern Winn Parish when I was riding my 4-wheeler as a teen.  This was about 18 years ago.  I got about 75 yards from it before it darted into the pines, but I got a good look at it.  Haven't seen one since.

Offline BowPlinker

• Associate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 12:56:00 AM »
What bar was she in or was she just walkIng in in the woods?
I saw a few the other day in hobby lobby myself!!!!!
     :laughing:
Acadian Woods 56" 3pc Tree Stick
Acadian Woods 56" 1pc Tree Stick
Pine Hollow Osage. 58" longbow
Owner of Calumet Trade Goods
   http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=162;t=000031

Offline donnyjack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 07:49:00 AM »
One of may co-workers has a picture of one he took in his back yard late one evening about a 2 months after hurricane Rita. He lives just north of the Ellinder bridge going over the inter-coastal on hwy 27.
Ive heard of some more being seen in this area by different folks so i have no doubt there are some big cats around.
Love Life, Bowhunt, Flyfish, and Play a Martin Guitar                        :thumbsup:

Offline BowPlinker

• Associate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 01:27:00 AM »
Unreal after this post,,, last week a big bobcat walked right under me,,, first cat ever seen in the wild,,
Acadian Woods 56" 3pc Tree Stick
Acadian Woods 56" 1pc Tree Stick
Pine Hollow Osage. 58" longbow
Owner of Calumet Trade Goods
   http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=162;t=000031

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 12:14:00 AM »
I saw one in N. St. Landry Parish almost 10 years ago.  Was clear as day about 40 yards crossing a trail to a dead doe we had unsuccessfully tracked in the rain the day before.  Almost nobody believed me and probably still don't.  But it was long, lean, looked like pictures and had a long tail.  The rancher nearby said they thought one was in the area around that time.  Now that LDWF has confirmed I don't question what I saw as much. But I still wonder whether it was some kind of mutant bobcat - my memory of it isn't what it used to be.   :D
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©