INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 2015 Hunting season stories and pics  (Read 1998 times)

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2015 Hunting season stories and pics
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2015, 03:21:00 PM »
thanks Randy for the Heads up !!!!I went and bought 3 of them....had two from last year....they are soft and warm and wick moisture...love em...made in Canada too!! i wear them around the house on cool days too. seem great quality....you pay 80 bucks for one anywhere else

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2015, 08:00:00 PM »
It would be nice if they got some merino drawers!

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2015, 10:26:00 PM »
Maybe someone should start a "underwear" thread. FOCUS guys   :dunno:
Genesis 1:1

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2015, 12:39:00 PM »
went out yesterday...in a treestand ...had a big whitetail coming by at 60 then walking away....I rattled and he came into 35 yards looking for the fight...I let loose and he jumped the string..I think he was on edge looking for the other deer..I think he was listening intently because he couldn't SEE the deer..and the "thunk" of the string was all he needed to turn quick that may have caused the miss....the arrow looked good but who can say when they move..Whitetails are tough at the best of times....got out of the tree and grabbed my arrow...was going to stay on the ground and set up north of my stand in the willows ..decided to go back in tree ......and moose walked by right where I was going to set up !!! that hunting for ya...
what did I learn....when whitetail are standing and alert looking for the other deer....they are on ALERT..don't shoot unless they are occupied ALREADY with other deer or scent or focused on another task....or relaxed...
JMHO

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2015, 09:02:00 PM »
Alert deer...sometimes if you scratch a little hole with your boot they will have a smell of the fresh dug earth and that can divert their focus for a couple of seconds.

Offline Sheepshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2015, 04:27:00 PM »
I just got back from 2 weeks of hunting whitetails in the big bush. The numbers in the last few years are really down and there seem to be more predators than deer in some areas. I scouted hard last year and found some areas that held decent numbers of deer. A lot of scouting is required in the big bush in even good years as finding deer and especially finding places to intercept them with the bow is a little like finding the proverbial needle in the haystack. I had some success last year in seeing deer in my spots and so concentrated on those.  Trail cameras were set up and i got some decent bucks on them.

I set up a couple of tree stands a couple of weeks before my hunt. One on a big scrape that has been there for at least the last 3 seasons and that I got some daytime pics of bucks on last year. The other stand I set up in a little funnel in the spruce that the deer feel comfortable in during the day. Here are the highlights (and lowlights) of my two weeks.

The first day I opted to sit on the big scrape stand. About an hour after first light I caught movement on the cutline behind me and saw a mature buck come out on the line. He had a nice 5 point frame on his right side and just a big fork on the other. I had a few pictures of this buck and knew I wanted to shoot him. He worked his way towards me raking every little sapling in his way with his good antler. When he got within range he stopped to sniff the doe in heat scent I had laid down. The sun was in my eyes but I could see him pretty well. I picked my spot and let fly. I lost the arrow in the glare of the sun and wasn't sure if I had even hit him. As he ran I could see my arrow in him but with very little penetration and I couldn't tell where I had hit him so I left him for 3 hours and went back with help. To make a long story short we tracked him for a long way in the fresh snow and didn't find any sign of a hit. He didn't bed down either. I can only surmise that I hit him high and hope that he is ok.

I was very disappointed with this outcome. I decided to sit my spruce stand the next day. Running a little late, I was climbing into the stand when I heard something behind me. I turned just in time to see a young but nice 4x4 running away at about 35 yards. He ran out but then circled and came into 15 yards with me halfway up the ladder. He never did notice me and eventually moved on. They sure are dumb during the rut sometimes. About half an hour later I had a lone doe come in and when she was about 15 yards out I took my shot. I was bummed to see my arrow go high again. 20 minutes later I got my chance at redemption as a nice 5x4 came in to my doe bleats. He seemed pretty relaxed when he hit the doe in heat scent I had laid down. I focused and aimed low. He never moved at the shot but I shot high again. I was choked! Obviously I need to work on shooting from a tree stand although I've had no problem hitting moose from a stand the last few years.

The next evening I was back in the spruce stand after an uneventful morning. About and hour before dark I had a small but wide 4x4 come in to my doe bleats. He came to 12 yards and decided to bed down facing me. I had my bow in my hand and couldn't move to put it away. By dark my hands and the rest of me were freezing. I slowly shuffled my feet in the stand and he stood up and eventually moved on.

The next morning I was up in the same stand again and had the same buck from the night before come in behind my stand but he was out of range and had no interest in my bleats or grunts.

Friday morning I went for a walk and found a great funnel between a road and a beaver dam. Saturday I took a break from the big bush and accompanied a friend of mine to his property. He is also a stick bow hunter and had some great stands set up. I got in a stand he suggested before first light and shortly after had a buck coming in. He was grunting enthusiastically until he got down wind of me at which point he started snorting and left. Later I had 3 does come in but a little out of my range. I saw a couple more does on my way to the stand that evening but that was it for the day.

After a couple of days break, I headed back to the big bush. I set up a new stand in the funnel I'd found and had a nice buck come in not 5 minutes after I'd settled into the stand. Unfortunately I made a little noise in the stand and he busted me without presenting a shot.  The next morning I saw 5 does from the same stand. I sat there for 5 hours in the freezing cold the next day but only saw a cow moose. When I checked my camera the next day I saw that a real good 5x5 came by the stand not an hour after I left.

Long hours were spent in various stands for the next few days but the deer didn't cooperate. I didn't get out as much this year as I usually do until the last couple of weeks but had a lot of fun and had my chances. If it wasn't for my bad shooting I would have had my deer. My season was very enjoyable as it should be any time you get out there and I learned a lot more about my area. I can't wait to get out there next year as the pieces to the puzzle are slowly coming together. I think as the population hopefully rebounds a little I will have even more success in seeing deer and if I can solve my shooting problems I will have some deer meat in the freezer next year. You can bet I'll be working hard at it!

Offline Cowboy Al

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2015, 12:32:00 AM »
I enjoyed hearing of everyone's adventures. This season like the past couple I find myself regretting not getting out enough. I look forward to Sep, Oct, Nov every year & I find myself feeling bummed that total I maybe got out 6-7 days. I have good intentions but work / home life seem to curtail my plans & recent losses of family & friends who passed far too early have me wondering if I'm waiting for a time in my life that might never come. So it's with that in mind I'm going to book a "trip of a lifetime" & it's my plan to go on more then one of these.
First up woodland caribou & moose in Nfl. I'm just in the initial stages of figuring it out but I'm looking forward to the journey!

Offline Sheepshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2015, 10:08:00 AM »
Sounds awesome Scott.

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2015, 02:25:00 PM »
sounds like you had an enjoyable week there Randy....I wish I had gotten out more. Many factors changed my season. my favorite spot was ruined by new hunters ( way too many and very inexperienced and selfish),,,,thats life

Agree with you Scott...go for it any time you can. I have a new challenge as I will be a BC resident for next season and will have to discover all new spots and access... When i come home to Alberta I will have to be hosted.....but I know that will not be a problem.
time to put the bow away and ice fish ...although I will try and find a good spot to shoot my bow in the winter

Offline Hardluck59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2015, 09:37:00 AM »
A friend of ours Yves Blouin (bloubow) has asked me to post the story of his Elk Hunt that was written in our last newsletter "The Quiver"
Enjoy it...I certainly did.
  A Lifelong Dream  
"YOU NEED NOT HARVEST GAME,
FOR A HUNT TO BE SUCCESSFUL"
But it helps, Calvin

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2015, 11:35:00 PM »
Good job Yves! Nice story. Well deserved Bull

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2015, 04:21:00 PM »
Yves, that's a great story.  Im so happy for you to get a beautiful animal like that and to be able to use Harold's knife like you wanted to.  Thanks for taking us along on the ride.

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2015, 07:56:00 PM »
nice story Yves..great hunt that you and Randy had....glad you hung it that night....predators are a problem these days....congratulations on some finr eating elk and a great trophy to boot !!!!

Online HARL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2015, 08:04:00 PM »
Great story Yves !!!!
62"63@28 Zipper Nitro
62"60@28 Zipper Nitro
A Doz. Hill Longbows

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2016, 11:10:00 PM »
Well I had a pretty good season for a change. I managed to get this Bull on Oct 4th. I set up and was just waiting for things to calm down a bit before calling. After about 20 mins I caught a glint of antler and soon this Bull was coming right to me. As he passed at about 15 yds I shot him thru both lungs. He went about 130 yds.
 46" spread

Sorry about the pix quality. My daughter had the good camera and all we had were cell phones.

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2016, 11:18:00 PM »
Before:

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2016, 11:22:00 PM »
After:
Got him 3 days later.
10 yd shot. Double lung. Went about 60-65yds.
Bear "A" Riser Mag TD 54#

Offline Hardluck59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2016, 12:15:00 AM »
Congrats on both Gun. Time spent scouting can have huge benefits sometimes.
"YOU NEED NOT HARVEST GAME,
FOR A HUNT TO BE SUCCESSFUL"
But it helps, Calvin

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2016, 01:47:00 PM »
great stuff...story..and equipment used...looks like a Bear mag riser ?

Offline bloubow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2016, 09:12:00 PM »
Gun, congrats on both animals. I like the moose rack.
Are you doing a European mount?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2018 ~ Trad Gang.com ©