INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 2014 Hunting season stories and pics  (Read 2635 times)

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2014 Hunting season stories and pics
« Reply #100 on: November 12, 2014, 12:22:00 AM »
Brent I am guessing you will get that buck scored...I would love to know what it scores as it looks very uniform...I have a special interest in entering an animal in the Pope and Young records as the current President, Jim Wilhems, and his brother Dan, hunted moose with us near Edson back in 2012...Brad we definitely need to get together this winter to do some exchange shooting...I have a very interesting string on my lefty 60 Kodiak that you will like the (read lack of) sound of...and I still intend to pick up a Takedown riser and have Brandon Stahl build me a set of limbs...kind of put buying on hold for a while as I still have a Robertson Wolfer to pay for...sorry the Wolfer is a righty

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: November 12, 2014, 03:50:00 AM »
nice buck Brent.....got to like it when they go down quick like that ..crongratz
great season for you..
 abd Dave
never met a lefty bow I didnt like ....

Offline Sheepshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: November 12, 2014, 10:53:00 AM »
Congrats Brad and Brent! Man you guys are kicking butt this season!
Took my 85 year old dad out yesterday and while he was rifle hunting, I did miss a grouse with my recurve so technically I can call it a trad hunt. Lol.
Late in the afternoon while driving down a rough trail I spotted something on the trail ahead. I stopped and put up the binos and was thrilled to see a cougar. While I was addmiring the first one, two more walked out. Dad and I watched them for about 15 minutes while they groomed themselves and enjoyed a bit of sunshine. My dad had never seen cougars in the wild before so it was a real treat for the both of us. Made the lack of game the rest of the day ok.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: November 12, 2014, 12:40:00 PM »
Some fine vittles being taken lately, it's nice to see!  Brad and Brent seem to be the prolific killers this year and its nice to hear talk on bbq steaks. I followed a set of cougar tracks into my hunting spot a few days ago,  it's nice to have apex predators around and it quickens the spirit and enlivens the step knowing that we aren't the only ones skulking the bushes.  

I've been hitting the mountains pretty hard the past week, so taking a breather from hunting although I'd like to get out tonight I'm physically tired so need to take a break.  Tomorrow I'll be after deer and I think things have the possibility of turning out well with a bit of luck and trickery.

Offline Cowboy Al

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: November 20, 2014, 09:55:00 PM »
Congrats Brad & Brent! You two are indeed flag bearers for the rest of us this season.

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: November 24, 2014, 11:38:00 PM »
6 days left for general hunting season in Alberta...good luck gents..may your arrows fly where intended and your  critter drag out of the woods go easy and your coffee be warm at home...

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: November 25, 2014, 09:54:00 AM »
Thanks Brad...hoping to shoot a big stupid whitetail sometime today...or a smart mulie doe that is not paying attention...I got beat by the weather on my Slave Lake hunt...never got past Edmonton

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: November 27, 2014, 06:15:00 PM »
aweful quiet out there..any stories ??????

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: November 29, 2014, 08:01:00 AM »
This weather is sure not helping our end of the season hunting

DDave

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: November 30, 2014, 12:29:00 AM »
yup weather is brutal...I am done...been sick all week and don't think I will go out on the last day ...I think in the last 18 years I have missed the last day only once...this makes two....
one of my hunting partners was out there today and saw  a fair amounr of critters...one very very large bull moose and one very large muley buck ..but not close enough to loose an arrow...
was a good season and alot of guys got nice critters..now we hope to hear a last minute success  story.....

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: November 30, 2014, 01:07:00 PM »
I was going to go out today but I'm gonna wimp out and stay home.  I'm just so tired of being cold....   A high school friend of mine was found outside her house a couple days ago, frozen to death and it's got me a bit spooked.  I've pushed the boundaries a lot this year with the cold I might have used up my seasons worth of luck.

Next season, I'm gonna shoot straighter, think more about stand placement and hopefully get access to some better spots close to home.  Maybe we should share a hunted group near calgary and really concentrate on  tying up a decent spot for ourselves.  I don't know how to accomplish that but it would be a dream.

I had a fantastic season and I've hunted more than I ever have.  Now it's mgoing to be coyotes and bunnies I think.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: November 30, 2014, 02:33:00 PM »
And the foam hunting season will start soon...hope to shoot in Calgary quite a bit this winter...and do my part to help get things ready for the NALS

DDave

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: November 30, 2014, 02:34:00 PM »
Our friends from South of the border think they are hunting in the cold when it is just a bit below freezing...that is pretty close to shirt sleeve weather for us

DDave

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: December 01, 2014, 01:16:00 PM »
It's interesting isn't it?  The more we're exposed to the cold the more we can tolerate it.

Offline Dog Walker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: December 01, 2014, 11:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by calgarychef:
It's interesting isn't it?  The more we're exposed to the cold the more we can tolerate it.
As I grow older, I find I can't take the cold as I could when I was younger.  Three years ago, up a tree, frozen solid, with 3/4 mile to cabin, I came close to buying it. I was weak, disorientated and very scared. Thank God I stoked the fire before I left! I pulled a sleeping bag over me, lay on the floor in front of the fireplace and basically, passed out.  I lived (obviously).

Did research but it was a guy at work, a cross country ski racer, who told me the secret.......FAT! Yep, fat. He eats 4 eggs,  6 slices of bacon, 6 pork sausages AND 1/2" slice of pure lard, before a cold weather race.

I couldn't come close to eating that amount but I tried the heavy fat breakfast many times and you know what? It works!  You have to eat just before you start your walk, or you may decide to just have a nap instead.    ;)   If you study what the Inuit eat, it makes sense.. High fat diet. Although older, now, I feel I can "give 'er more".  Don't worry about putting on weight, it doesn't happen, you burn this fat fighting the cold combined with the excersise.
Cari-Bow Tuktu Ex 55#@28"
TT Pinnacle II 55#@28"

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: December 02, 2014, 10:47:00 AM »
You're right about the fat I think.  I made a batch of pemmican this fall for hiking and hunting and I think it's just about the perfect hunting food.  Sitting without moving is a tough way to stay warm though, and as our bodies slowly cool our extremities become very prone to freezing.  I really think that an additional heat source is a good idea.  This year it's been lots of hand and boot warmers.  Next year it's going to be something else that I've been thinking about . A feller had lots of time to think of ways to stay warm while he's freezing in a tree  :)

Offline Sheepshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: December 02, 2014, 02:27:00 PM »
Had the last two weeks off. First 5 days were spent bowhunting big bush for whitetails. Let's just say I should have had two deer down. I missed a doe the first day. Shaved hair off her back. The third day I had two bucks come in at the same time. They were walking fast and I stopped the second one with a grunt. He looked right up at me in the stand and ducked when I released the arrow. I called another buck in an hour later and passed him up as he was just a spike. I had a camera out in front of the stand and got a lot of pics. I can't wait to hunt this stand next year. Hopefully it'll be good agian. We packed up and went east to hunt mule deer for the next 5 days but I was packing a smoke pole for that so that is a story for a different forum. When we got back I was hoping to get out some more with the bow but between the weather and funerals etc. I didn't get out. I didn't get out as much as usual early in the season and the deer numbers were definitely way down in my hunting areas but I feel like I had a good season. Gonna practice more in this off season and hopefully nail that Whitetail buck next year.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: December 02, 2014, 08:40:00 PM »
I am looking forward to seeing all of you over the winter

DDave

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: December 27, 2014, 08:08:00 PM »
We all know that hunting never ends.  Today I went to pull a treestand and thought what the heck, I'll bring a coyote call.

I had a stinky whitetail hide that I  tied onto a string and dragged behind me on the walk in then I put it not too far from the base of my tree and climbed up.  I use an old bellows style rabbit in distress call and within 5 minutes had a coyote show up.  He could smell me obviously but the deer hide had him interested, just not interested enough.  He wandered away but awhile later he was back on the edge of the bush so I called him back in.  This treestand doesn't have a long shooting lane and things have to be pretty close to the tree to be able to get a shot off and he didn't come close enough.  I called a second one in about 10 minutes later and the same thing.

So I didn't get a coyote but I still had a fun couple of hours.  I did see a pretty nice whitetail buck that I didn't see at all during hunting season.  I might go out tomorrow with the binos and see if I can get a better look at him, he's pretty nice.

Offline Sheepshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: July 03, 2015, 06:06:00 PM »
Hey guys, The new season of The Replacements starts this week on Wildtv. Episodes are also available on Wildtv.ca but you must subscribe. I'm not sure which week my moose hunt will air but keep watching! I'll keep you posted.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©