INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 2014 Hunting season stories and pics  (Read 2217 times)

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2014 Hunting season stories and pics
« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2014, 12:34:00 PM »
Went out yesterday with the metal detector and looked and looked but couldn't find my arrow, so it's gone to the arrow gods I guess.  I did find a musket ball, and it looks old and no rifling on it so maybe a trade gun fired it. It's flattened and has struck something.   I've always wanted to find a musket ball on Canadian soil, I guess the gods do  reimburse..  

The funny thing is I had thought about bringing my bow and decided against it, y'all can guess what happened, a nice fat doe wandered out to see what the crazy human was doing.  Deer are funny that way, it seems when we're preoccupied they don't see us as a danger.   I was gutting a deer a few years back and two does wandered out (individually) and checked me out, both were easy shots if I had my bow handy.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2014, 10:27:00 PM »
I was just checking yesterday on the price of tags and what I can hunt in WMU542...cougar season is open and a tag is less than 21 bucks...does anyone carry a cougar tag "just in case"...yes I would love to shoot a moose or a mule deer or a whitetail on the trip but I would hate to have to pass on a shot at a cougar because I had no tag...I know some guys who will pretty much guarantee you a cougar for the measly sum of 4 grand...I would love to tell them how it cost me an extra 21 bucks to be able to shoot mine

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Cowboy Al

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: October 29, 2014, 11:32:00 PM »
Stumbling upon a cougar would be a longshot but I've spent a lot more and got a lot less before ;-)

A guy would most likely have to find a kill and camp on it. I don't know if I'd have the stones to do that with just a longbow in my lap.

Offline Cowboy Al

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2014, 11:34:00 PM »
Congrats to everyone on their success. I'm still hopeful I can at least creep around my whitetail spot close to home before the snow flies.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: October 30, 2014, 01:33:00 PM »
Scott you just gave me an idea...I am going to take a varmint call along...might as well get some use out of these eyes I have tattooed on the back of my head...hunt is on delay right now...I got a full day of driving truck and staff party on Saturday...I need some snow in my hunting area anyway

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2014, 02:02:00 PM »
have a friend in the states who says they were calling in cougars with predator calls and alot of cats were taken...guessing with firearms though.....have a video on calling in bears....with predator calls...you also carry pepper spray and put your back to a large tree so you will hopefuly see the predator from the front or side...if one comes in

my "go to" area is inundated with new hunters..it is very discouraging..the landowner allowed too many new hunters...the area gets no rest and the solitude I enjoyed besides the hunting is gone....
it seems good things don't last for ever...if you have a nice spot..enjoy it while you can...
I met one of the new hunters and he says to me...man there are too many guy hunting this area...I can't help but wonder how he does not realize he is one of the too many...there were basically only a few of us for nearly 20 years...now there is 15 on a piece of land that can support about 4.....

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: October 31, 2014, 02:28:00 PM »
Brad as much as I would like to take a cat with my bow I really have nothing against shooting one with a rifle...they seem to be overpopulated...this is going to be a learning experience for me and I need to get started...I still have some pretty nice property in this area for bow season and I am only a couple of hours from you...too late for this year I guess but something to consider in the future...we could do elk, mule deer and whitetail on general tags this year

DDave

Offline hightop_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2014, 07:34:00 PM »
HI All
haven't posted on the forum in a while. I got the chance to head back to Alberta for an early season September moose hunt. I had a great 5 day hunt and saw quite a few moose to far of in the bush to shoot. But the land is good and scout now. Maybe my dad will have some luck sneaking in on the 2 bulls that roam around. im going to fly back to Alberta in December for a snowy week of hunting closer to christmas. Hopefully help dad and find some deer on a new piece of land we have never hunted.

Good luck out there you guys

Offline Cowboy Al

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2014, 12:09:00 AM »
Awfully quiet....anyone hunting anything?

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: November 07, 2014, 03:37:00 AM »
as you can see by the late hour...I just got back from a successful moose hunt...details next  week...going to Lethbridge tomorrow so I have plenty to do before I go.....

cow moose ...about 3 years old...will be good eatin...

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: November 07, 2014, 04:04:00 AM »
Brad you are having a great year...lots of meat for the freezer

DDave

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: November 09, 2014, 12:08:00 PM »
I think I'll go for a sit tonight, this fees snow might have covered up the grassy field the girls aphave been feeding on.  I don't have permission in that field so it's been a bit frustrating.  I've spent so much time on elk I 404 this year that the deer have taken the "backseat." Tomorrow morning bright and early in going after elk again, after this storm I have a hunch I might see some, it won't be a "traditional" hunt but I do badly want some elk steaks.  The magic time for deer hunting is here guys, hit it as hard as you can in the time we have left.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: November 09, 2014, 10:28:00 PM »
Well a safety warning for everyone.

I sat in my treestand tonight, I was wearing fleece  which isn't a problem usually because I've got a fancy "heater suit" that I use to keep warm with.  It usually allows me to wear light clothes for the walk to the stand and then I put it on and I'm pretty warm.  The suit is fleece too and with all the snow on me it got wet, I used some handwarmers but they petered out fast, I think because they're a few years old.  So I sat and was cold, not a big deal usually, it's uncomfortable but not life threatening.

When I was ready to get out and go home my hands were too cold to even feel my haul rope in my fanny pack, so under my arms they went until I could feel the rope. Then I got it out and couldn't tie it to my bow, had to warm up my hands again, now I was a little hypothermic and beginning to shake.  Got he rope tied onto the bow and dropped it down, kicked my other stuff off the stand and began to get my mitts on.  Once again my hands were too cold to get the mitts on and it took a good 10 minutes to accomplish.  Mitts on, I needed to untie my teather 5 minutes for this.  Wow, things get slow when you're cold. Finally I could climb down and once i got onto the ground and walked a bit I was totally fine and warmed up.  That's when I noticed that my mitts were backwards, I was so cold I hadn't even noticed.

So the moral of the story is be careful out there, bad things can happen faster than we think.  If I was much colder I'd still be in that tree...stuck.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: November 09, 2014, 10:29:00 PM »
I forgot to mention, I saw a buck a ways away and he had his host to the ground cruising!  I love to see that, it means they're gonna get goofy and careless.

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: November 10, 2014, 04:02:00 PM »
Tracey
when I am in the stand I get out as soon as I think I cannot get a crisp release off the string...no sense being in the stand if you cannot pull your bow easy and release the string....I usually check this every 15 minutes...if I spook something...oh well ...but everyone should remember you have to be funcyioning close to 100 percent to climb down your tree safely

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: November 10, 2014, 04:07:00 PM »
Moose story

I decided to hunt a half day as I had a very busy weekend ahead of me playing in a hockey tourney out of town and wanted to  have a little energy left for it.  I had to decide whether I do the morning hunt or the evening hunt. We had just received about 6 inches of snow two days prior and each day the temperature was up around 10 celsius ( 50F)  and the snow would melt during the heat of the day...making walking in it  quiet. I decided to hunt the afternoon hoping most the snow would be gone and the ground damp making the leaves less dry and quiet.
I left the house at noon and was hunting by 1250 pm . The wind was out of the SE and i worked my way south of the place I parked....
  The landowner was riding her horse right in the area I was planning on spotting and stalking . So I decided to sit in my tree stand hoping she would push game past me. I saw three mule deer does  trot east from where she was riding through the willow and then a large bodied deer...likely a mule deer buck as he was very big in the body but I could not see the head of the deer...After the owner left the area I headed south.
I walked just under a  1/2mile  to the south end of the property and set up a hammock seat and put on some leafy camo and waited . The area holds moose mule deer and a few whitetailed deer   . I saw a cow moose run out of the trees south of me into a clearing and into a set of trees to the west  that are  run north south for 400 yards and east west for about 90 yards...we call it the west finger.  I quickly snuck into the west finger hoping to intercept the moose... I waited on my  knees  arrow  ready for 25 minutes and the moose did not come  through. Either it got past me before I   arrived ..or  bedded south of me in the trees and out of view. I decided to sneak   south  and see if I could spot her. After about 75 yards I spooked 3 mule deer does up at 25 yards I did not see bedded in a depression and they fled south. This would put the moose on alert if she was still in the finger so I decided to go back to my original position...I stayed there for awhile.  As the afternoon progressed I decided to go back to my stand for the evening. Moose will walk through at times or even bed in this area in the late afternoon and they head to a spring sometimes to the east.  The wind stayed out of the SE but picked up to about 16 kph... The tree I had my stand in is not big in girth so I decided to stay on the ground...besides this whitetail deer I was planning on making a BBQ out of was always skirting to the east and north of me while in the stand . Deciding to stay on the north edge of the trees I thought I might get a crack at the deer if it followed the route from the previous times I sat. The sun set and after a period of time I looked at my watch. Itr was 528 pm and I figured I had two minutes left to hunt.  As I faced north I heard a twig snap behind me. While on my knees I slowly turned my body south and saw a cow moose coming   from the west... because the wind was SE I would be okay till she passed me....  picked an opening in the trees and waited for her to walk into it .  I looked  for  a line behind her shoulder as the lighting did not give me a “spot” .  The shot would be 30 yards. I released and the arrow looked good and settled in right behind the shoulder best I could tell...she took off like a shot and head straight east down the coulee behind the stand and I watched for her to appear on the hill on the other side of the coulee...She did not. Thinking this is either real good and she did not make it to the bottom of the coulee or bad she turned south at some point and ran towards the back and much thicker willows and trees.  I marked the spot she was at when I arrowed her and waited ten minutes as I was confident of the arrow placement. I walked to the edge of the tress and looked down the coulee and saw a brown patch of something halfway down the hill. Pulled up the binos and saw an ear....YAHOO....the bbq will be getting some use .... I called Kevin a good friend and he and his fiancé came out and helped me bring the moose home   and skin it.
The equipment I used.
1970 B riser bear takedown with #53 lb bamboo limbs by Rose Oak. The arrow was 610 grain carbon with an eclipse two blade . The arrow hit the center of the vitals and broke off inside her leaving about 12 inches of arrow and the broadhead  inside as she ran. She went about 75 yards   in all.
Fate is a funny thing. I cannot help but think is she did not step on that twig she would have passed me unheard or I would have seen her too late to get a broadside shot.  I have a few bows I really like. All my Quartermoon bows and my original bow I bought and a couple  of self bows I have made are special to me. This bow is a piece of archery history. I bought it used and I wish I knew of its journey before I bought it...has it been hunted with before.. where and the stories ????.... it now has another to tell.... and will stay with me till I cannot hunt anymore.

Offline albertan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: November 11, 2014, 01:21:00 AM »
A few years ago I started to use a lifeline rope on every treestand I set up - have one for all eight treestands.  No one sits one of my stands unless they have a full body harness and use the lifeline.  No exceptions.  You are tied into this lifeline from the time you leave the ground till you get down.  The majority of treestand accidents happen getting in or out of a stand.  Only takes a second to have something serious (or deadly) happen.  Being that cold like Tracey was makes it even tougher to move and descend safely - especially with bulky cold weather gear on etc. I have a similar suit but have found that it bulks up if you need to turn to shoot and make the shot.Bin there, dun that lol. I now use Cabelas Stand Hunter bibs/parka and they work awesome.   Be safe and be hooked in all the time -  gives you added insurance.
Brent
2015 Alberta Bowhunters Assoc. President

Offline albertan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: November 11, 2014, 01:47:00 AM »
Sat a stand this afternoon where I rattled in 2 small bucks yesterday.  Got into stand at 2pm (-18C but sunny and clear) and after getting everything organized (rattling horns, grunt and can call, Ozonics up in tree, handwarmers in muff, electric insoles at the ready) I did my first rattling sequence. Nothing.  Two series of grunts had the same result.  I was looking at my iPhone and taking a few pics when I looked up and a buck was walking down the cutline.  When he hit the trail the one buck from yesterday had used he turned and headed towards my stand.  As his head went behind a tree, I shifted and started getting tension on the string.  As he cleared the last tree at 10 yards and took a couple of sidesteps, I hit anchor and released.  The hit was high as he ducked but I got great penetration.  He took off hard but only made it 75 yards.  No more sitting in the cold!!Caribow Slynx longbow - 51#. Grizzly Stiks/150 gr Silver Flame broadheads (total 703 gr).  Worked great!
Brent

Offline albertan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: November 11, 2014, 01:58:00 AM »
Brent

Offline Hardluck59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: November 11, 2014, 01:48:00 PM »
Congrats Brad and Brent sounds like you guys are having an awesome year. I'm sure it is a result of many hours spent scouting, walking and sitting. Time well spent.
Tracy...Glad to hear your OK. Been there done that myself. A good lesson for all.
"YOU NEED NOT HARVEST GAME,
FOR A HUNT TO BE SUCCESSFUL"
But it helps, Calvin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©