INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 2014 Hunting season stories and pics  (Read 2664 times)

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2014 Hunting season stories and pics
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2014, 12:12:00 AM »
So this morning I called and called to that moose and he won't come out of his bush.  So I went in after him it took almost two hours of sneaking through the willows to make it a hundred and fifty yards.  But I almost closed the deal, he winded me at about 18 yards and I still couldn't quite see him in the thick bush.  Tomorrow I'll try coming in from the north, I should have thought of that today, we rarely get a North wind but alswas from the other three directions every hour.  The wind here is pretty frustrating.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2014, 07:09:00 AM »
Tracy I really do not think that a young moose has any natural fear of humans...not sure how much time you have or how much hunting competition for that little bull...the Bowzone seasons are long and it is doubtful he is going anywhere soon...if you are patient and only hunt him when conditions are entirely in your favour you will be eating some fine young moose this winter...ask Randy, the big advantage of shooting a small moose is that they are small (for a moose of course)

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2014, 08:13:00 AM »
I'm pretty sure I heard a cow and bull, so either it's mommy or the little guy has his own cow and that's why he doesn't want to leave.  He was coming in though so I'll have to be patient band keep trying, i really would like a moose in the freezer.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2014, 10:30:00 AM »
I went and sat in my newly hung treestand last night, and just as the "witching hour" was approaching I hear a sound....no!  It can't be can it?  Yup, over the hill comes the swather.  So that area is going to be a no go zone until after they're done.

My moose is still in the bush, but I can't get near him.  My plan is to wait for the rainiest  windiest day there is and go in after him.  Maybe the sound and wet leaves will work in my favour.

Also got stopped by the warden, and she was really nice to deal with.  She didn't hassle me at all even though I'd printed the wrong paperwork off of the relm site.  Apparently I've been hunting without a liscence   :) . I purchased everything just fine but chose to print the wrong pages.

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2014, 03:55:00 PM »
my moose spot is unavailable for another week so I went hunting whitetailed deer in Rocky..shot a suppplemental  antlerless whitetailed doe on Friday night...offered a quarting away shot at 10 yards from a stand..she went down in 80 yards..watched her lie down .....arrow went into the left side near the back of the ribs and poked out the right front shoulder...sorry about the photo...I rushed and forgot to put my bow in the photo..
it was a new kodiak...#60
here are two photos
the doe by herself....you can see the broadhead sticking out the right shoulder
she was about 230 lbs !!!! biggest Doe I have taken
the second photo is at home the next day with the bow...
I usually do great field shots but this is not the case here...sorry gang
dragging her ourt was difficult over alot of logs and brush....think I am getting old

Offline Hardluck59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2014, 05:12:00 PM »
Congrats Brad...Yves has also taken a fine doe.  He harvested her with the " Old Clunker", Jack's old bow. 18 meters shot and She ran 63 paces full out and died running.  
"YOU NEED NOT HARVEST GAME,
FOR A HUNT TO BE SUCCESSFUL"
But it helps, Calvin

Offline Sheepshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2014, 06:55:00 PM »
Congratulations Brad and Yves! Love seeing those pics!

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2014, 04:28:00 PM »
congratulations Yves...nice doe ...good eatin there

After I harvest an animal I switch to another bow...going to use a classic....

a 1970 B riser Bear takedown....I have original #1 limbs but will be using ROSE OAK limbs.. amber colored bamboo limbs that really look nice and perform

here are two pics of the bow...taken it out tonight for a date !!!! I think she is dressed to kill ..LOL

Offline Cowboy Al

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2014, 10:05:00 PM »
I went north with an antlered moose tag in my pocket. The first day brought strong winds so myself and my nephew covered some miles to look for sign. Much like I suspected the usual spots (from year to year) held the most sign. The wind died a bit so I tried some cow calling & had my nephew break some bush. To my surprise I could see a moose running down the cut lien onward us! The little bull got to about 75 yards and then came to an abrupt halt. With the strong west wind he was getting a big whiff of us. My nephew Cody tried to deploy Bert's Moose Umbrella trick the little bull was interested but he trusted his nose so no shot opportunities were present.
The next day the wind was non-existent so we were on our way to try our luck at that same spot but in the predawn light we spotted a decent sized bull with a hot cow in the middle of a small patch of canola. We crept along the treeline and waited for legal light. Try as I might I couldn't grunt the bull (or the cow) closer than 200 yards. The "Uncle" in me took over and I gave Cody the green light to shoot his second moose (with the 300). That partner option is awesome (in Cody's words).
The realization / disappointment on my part was brief as the smile on my nephews face was reward enough.
We had elk tags too but with the rut over no bow shot opportunities presented themselves & of course once the tag was filled everywhere I looked I saw bull moose in callable / stalkable locations

Offline bloubow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2014, 11:02:00 PM »
Thanks everyone.
Brad, same to you. Wow your Doe was at least twice the size of mine. I tought about switching bow,   but I think I will stay with the clunker for the next two weeks. I really like to get a moose with that bow.....
   :goldtooth:

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2014, 01:13:00 AM »
Scott

I use a cover scent when I hunt moose in the rut and it works well. It is a stick you light and I put it in a bottle...have had both cows and bulls walk in directly down wind...I will get you info on them in the furture if you like
 its never written in stone when you are upwind but most the time it works...can they smelll you too...likely but they don't seem to care as much in the rut

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2014, 06:49:00 PM »
Brad...that is about as big as a whitetail doe would ever get...truly a smart old trophy...and thanks for the tip on the Kodiak Deluxe...it went very reasonably but I never bid because I was cash poor

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline adamgti

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2014, 12:45:00 PM »
Connected on a doe at 4 yards on Sunday. Quick clean kill and she only went 60 yards.
Quartermoon 62" r/d longbow 53# @ 29"

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2014, 10:26:00 PM »
You guys are doing well!  I sat in my treestand for about 4 hours today and I had three nice fat does coming in and the wind was right and I was calm as a cucumber and everything looked perfect.  For some reason all three good a different route and I never saw them again which is actually a bit strange because there was no place for them to come out of the bush.  Oh well, my wool si wash was nice and toasty tonight, just gotta remember to bring a wind stopper next time.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2014, 11:16:00 PM »
My September was pretty much a month of lots of time but no money to hunt...my October has been making lots of money to hunt but no time...thank goodness that means I will have both time and money to hunt in November although I might also fit in a bit of elk and mule deer hunting next week...then off to Red Earth Creek for some late season moose hunting...I sold my Blacktail this week so will be stuck hunting with a Dryad longbow, or one of my 1960 Kodiaks...rough life eh?

DDave

Offline outdoorsforlife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2014, 08:41:00 PM »
Hey Adam,

Congrads!

Hey Brad,

Congrads!

How far away we're they?  Did they have any suspicion of a stranger?  Did they move when the string was released?  How did the broadhead / arrow weight do?  What were you looking for in your setup?  Intersection of trails?  Ridgeline? Funnel or finger?

Nicely done.

Gordon

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2014, 12:47:00 PM »
I was out last night in a pit blind that I dug a couple nights ago, the first night I had minimal sucess even thought I saw 11 deer they didn't come cloe enough.  So last night I repositined my decoy with a bit more thought than the first ip night and I had half an hour of pure fun as the deer came and went.  Unfortunately when a big fat doe finally presented herself the correct way at 15 yards I shot right over her back.  That the second time I've missed high this fall and I'm a bit dejected.  Today I'm going out with my metal detector to find a lost arrow so it doesn't end up in the farmers tractor tire.

Offline outdoorsforlife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2014, 07:54:00 PM »
Congratulations Yves,

I really relate to missing deer with and arrow this fall.  That is all I'm going to say about that!

Gordon

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2014, 09:10:00 PM »
Gord

Doe was about 10 yards...I was in the stand about 40 minutes and she was trotting from the east and I thought she would trot on by but stopped giving me a quartering away shot...I waited till she looked north away from me and I drew my bow #60 at 28" I draw about 26 or so so bow was about 55#...and the arrow weighed 600 grains....she did not move as the arrow flew...I have string silencers..beaverballs..on this bow and the arrow entered near her last rib and was sticking out barely on the off shoulder,,,,
the stand is about 60 yards into the trees that boarders a hay field...there are many trails but the stand was set up based on where the deer had been coming out and through on previous years,,,the stand has been there for awhile...I think alot of deer will stage up aways in the woods and look out to the field...then move out....not written in stone....
the arrow was a goldtip carbon with 345 grains up front

the broadhead was an eclipse 145 grain two blade

Offline Sheepshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2014, 11:03:00 PM »
Congrats all. I did some scouting for whitetails last Monday as well as a bunch of missing of grouse. Late in the afternoon but with plenty of light left I saw a big 5x5 whitetail. We watched  each other for about 10 minutes until he decided to carry on. A couple of days later I set up a camera and a stand and noticed plenty of sign including buck sign. I went and sat there for 5 hours yesterday afternoon in a cold wind and didn't see a thing. Checked the camera after I sat and three does went through in the morning.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©