INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 2014 Hunting season stories and pics  (Read 3184 times)

Offline Sheepshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2014 Hunting season stories and pics
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2014, 02:39:00 AM »
Great harvests Brent! I just got back from a hunting trip north of GP. I was hunting with some friends who also happen to be hosts and prostaff for the show The Replacements on Wildtv. Most of the guys were hunting elk but because of an oversight on my part, I was hunting moose with the bow before it closed.

Day one was spent travelling and setting up camp after which we went for a quick hunt. I walked up to 25 yards of a small, bedded mule buck within the first 200 yards but I didn't have the draw required to shoot him. There was some moose sign in the area but nothing wanted to play that evening.

Day two I went to a different area and there was more fresh sign. I did spot a cow, spike and a mature 5 point bull elk but they were approximately 600 yards away and I had no tag. The evening was uneventful.

On day three I had a good feeling and I made the comment that someone was going to harvest something. I went back to my spot from day two and set up to call. I had just finished my third sequence of calling when I got a reply. By the time I located the direction he was in I realized that he was coming FAST! I quickly setup and he showed up at the edge of the pipeline I was on. He was a young bull, the kind I don't mind eating! He was cautious and stood there for a while checking things out. At one point he stared at me and I was sure it was over. When he did move he started trotting across the pipeline and although he was broadside at 15 yards my window of opportunity was closing quickly. I drew and grunted to stop him but he didn't like that too much and busted outta there hard. It was a close encounter and really got the adrenaline going!
That evening was a bust again.

Day four started with a long hike and a grouse harvested but no big game spotted. That evening I decided to do a little scouting for elk for next year since the wind was blowing at around 60 km/hr. I found a good elk trail and was seeing where it led when I noticed movement on the trail ahead. I stopped and realized the movement was a cow elk at about 15 yards and closing fast! There was some long grass on the trail and I think that's why she didn't notice me right away. She finally did notice me at about 8 yards but the wind was blowing steady from behind her and in fact I could smell her. Well, She stood and stared for about 3 minutes until I felt the slightest breeze on the back of my neck. She busted out hard taking a spike that had been behind her with. Exciting stuff and I did find a heavily used area that I put on the back burner for next year. That evening another cameraman showed up in camp which freed up a cameraman. My friend Dave. He had been itching to sit a stand he had set up that had a lot of elk and moose coming into it.

Day five Dave and I headed into his stand with the deal that if a moose came in he would film me and I would do the camera work if an elk showed up. Near the stand we bumped a moose and called to it to try and calm it down. It ran off and we made our way into the stand. There's lots to set up when you are filming a hunt and it took us about 15 minutes to get everything ready. We hadn't even sat down when I heard a moose grunt. Dave spotted him almost immediately and I grabbed my bow. Well he walked by at 80 yards and kept going so I gave him a couple of grunts at which point he shutup. I thought he must have moved on but soon we could hear some movement in the thick alders and spruce in front of us. The cameras were rolling as we waited for what seemed like for ever for him to make his way closer. He finally committed and stepped into the open. Unfortunately there was a scrawny little alder covering his vitals. He finally moved again and gave me the shot I wanted. I drew and released. The arrow hit right where I was looking and as he turned to leave I knew he wouldn't go far. He didn't run hard and stopped 25 yards from where I shot him when I grunted at him. We watched him go down and started celebrating. He is a very wide bull, as wide as the bull I got last year but with smaller antlers but what really impressed me was the shear size of his body. Biggest moose I've ever seen.

I know many of you don't care much for Wildtv and I mostly don't either but I hope you tune in next summer when my hunt will be aired on The Replacements.

Offline Cowboy Al

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2014, 12:26:00 PM »
Congrats! nice write up & I look forward to the pics.
Was one of the Replacements Chad? I used to work with him...

Offline adamgti

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2014, 12:31:00 PM »
That’s awesome!!!!

Love seeing a trad guy get it done year after year man. Congrats

I had another chance on a buck last night.

I glassed him bedded in the mid-section of a mile long coulee that dropped down into the river valley. I was able to move down wind of him few coulees down and put the creep on him. Well I came around the boulder I thought he was bedded behind and at 12 yards he stood up behind the next boulder over. Damn.

He never saw me and just stood there at 12 yards. A small rock covered his vitals and no shots were taken.

He walked off with rocks between him and me as two does jumped up and got out of dodge.

Very exciting 30 minute hunt. Best mule deer spot I have and it’s a dandy. Basically a bed at the base of every boulder along the coulee edges.

I closed it off with the best shot I have ever made in my life.

Somewhere between 45-60 yards downhill, from the top of the coulee to the very bottom. A Badger!

Turned into a rodeo as I didn't want to lose it down the hole. I was wearing my sock with no shoes as i had just been stalking that buck and needless to say my feet have more than a few cactus spines in them from the frenzied sprint down the coulee.
Quartermoon 62" r/d longbow 53# @ 29"

Offline Sheepshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2014, 07:11:00 PM »
Thanks Adam. Yeah, Scott, Chad was up
for a few days. Never met him before but liked him right away. Seems like a pretty nice guy.

Offline adamgti

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2014, 05:33:00 PM »
8 bulls and 30 cows last night. They started calling at 7:30pm and kept going deep into the night. Rut is in full swing, hunt accordingly  ;)  hahaha

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2014, 10:04:00 AM »
Wow if this does not get me motivated nothing will...Randy once again I am advocating for a username change to mooseshooter...I think you have that one figured out...great animals all and thanks for posting the pictures

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2014, 01:41:00 PM »
congratulations Randy...love to see pics of the moose...making the shot with cameras on is awesome too...hope you post photos

Moose hunting 101 ..the journey continues PART 2

been out of the picture fore a week as I somehow hurt my back and have been healing...but tomorrow the moose hunting starts again...I have a friend coming who has not had much chance to hunt moose before so our goal is to get him one...
where we are hunting is mixed farmland...the moose are not as plentiful as up north...but they are around...you can go three days without seeing one and then on the fourth day have 5 bulls in the area...so we will see how it plays out....We will post as the hunt progresses...likley we will be getting back late each day so will post as we can and  if  we not to tired...
plan for tomorrow is setting up in a known location where there has been success before and calling lightly.....and if no response...a little louder....then of course wait it out...sometimes it takes a moose over 30 to 45 minutes to show...their hearing is Exceptional....likey the best of all ungulates.... so here we go
lets have some Moose mojo ....to be continued

Offline Hardluck59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2014, 08:40:00 AM »
Congrats Randy...great looking moose. I posted your picture on your original post on page 3 for all to see.
"YOU NEED NOT HARVEST GAME,
FOR A HUNT TO BE SUCCESSFUL"
But it helps, Calvin

Offline Sheepshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2014, 08:38:00 PM »
Thanks Cal!

Here are some more.

Offline Sheepshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2014, 08:40:00 PM »

Offline outdoorsforlife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2014, 10:22:00 AM »
Wow Brent great job!

Randy Nicely done!

Adam good shot.

I am finishing up two papers for this weekend and the, I can get out next week.  I'm missing it so much.  The thing that is getting me through is reading your stories, and I just got a message from  Jack Kemp in Sherwood Park that he just put something in the mail for me... Kwickstyk 52lbs @28 Inches bamboo with a new style riser. I'm headed to 410 with an nontrophy sheep tag.  Goodly k everyone

Offline adamgti

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2014, 01:11:00 PM »
Well I got an early evening off from work the other day and made a mad dash to the foothills where I have been hunting elk. I decided to go into a bowl I have never hunted before as I felt the area was least pressured. I hiked 12-15 km back away from the nearest point I could get my truck as the old road had been washed out for a while in there. At 3:30 I started to climb into some higher timber in hopes to get into better wind and an area where I could also hear the bulls that may or may not have been in the area. Old faithful blew at 4:30pm, which is basically the same time as years prior for that area. I was approximately 800 metres from the elk when I first heard him. Moments later 2 more bulls started to bugle and I knew I was in them. Fortunately I had the wind I need and I only had to run a short distance to get to better wind and more cover.

The first bull I called into 50 yards and he hung up in some willows while 3 mule deer does walked between him and me at 20-25 yards. I’m not sure if that shut him up or my calling and set up, but he never made another noise and seemed to disappear.

10 minutes later the area seemed to have cooled down and I could still hear the heard bull about 200 metres away but still upwind of me. I quietly moved in his direction with my decoy in front of me. I saw him at 60 yards on the other side of a small 10 metre wide clearing. He walked over the other side and out of sight and I made my move.
I got hunkered down in some talk coniferous trees and setup my decoy on their edge. I was then able to over the course or 20-30 minutes call the heard bull, a 6x6 twice as wide as his body, to 35 yards and a lone cow to 25 yards. The other 2 bulls were off the perimeter and never came into sight. Approximately 15 other cows were feeding another 30 yards past the lone cow and the single bull. No shots were taken on the cow as I felt I had a really good chance on the bull and also the bush was too thick for me to take the shot at the moment she presented me one.

After 20-30 minutes the strong prevailing wind died and for 5 seconds I could feel it at the base of my neck. BOOM they blew out of there and I was busted. I stayed behind the heard for the next few hours and eventually had a nice bull at 60 yards eyeballing my decoy.
I shut the night down early as I was 25 or so km into it already. No elk on the ground, but every time I get closer and closer. Sooooooon!

Recap: I feel my cow calling is letting me down and will continue to practice as I think it needs to be more nasal at the end. Decoys work! Set up in the shadows and in front of cover not behind it as I was restricted by branches between the elk and I.

Offline Dog Walker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2014, 08:21:00 PM »
Super nice moose, Randy. Congrats!    :thumbsup:
Cari-Bow Tuktu Ex 55#@28"
TT Pinnacle II 55#@28"

Offline bloubow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2014, 09:39:00 PM »
Well done Randy! Again. Nice bull and story.  
I went out this week for two days. Sat a new stand the second am and had a small bull come in to the call. Well for that little guy presented  me with only two perfect sides  looks at 18 yards or so. But the spruce branches where in the way as I didn't trim it hi enought.  GRRRR!!!!  
First time out this year,  but we had a surprising reminder to play safe. My friend fell out of the stand as he was reaching to get in it. He managed to hug the tree all the way down 12-14 feet or so. He had forgotten his wrench to back off    :knothead:    :knothead:    the bolts that the steps go in to. So he was thinking that his weight would push them in. Well he his pretty cut up in the hands and scraped good in the face and gut. His eago his bruised and he need a new set of hunting clothes as well. But lucky that it was not worst. So all of you out there play it safe and don't take any chances.

Offline outdoorsforlife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2014, 02:12:00 AM »
Nice job Adam!

one more paper to go and then I'm making tracks.

Good Luck everyone.

Gord

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2014, 12:41:00 PM »
nice try adam.

that's alot of hiking my friend......wish  I was young again....remember you get one you got to get it out....

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2014, 01:17:00 PM »
moose hunting 101 (week report)
well myself and Dave were out  all week and the results are no meat hangin
we had a good time comraderie wise and being outdoors but the moose hunting was pretty dismal
day one we saw a cow moose at 150 yards at 6 pm and shortly before that a large whitetailed doe and her yearling at about 90 yards....
Dave has  a bull tag only licence and on day two
after some calling a cow moose and a second year calf came in..the cow offered a fine 25 to 30 yard shot but Dave as  previously stated can only take a bull...I can shoot either sex where we were but was in the background aways doing the calling....we also saw two whitetailed bucks and three mule deer bucks...one of the whitetailed deer had bale twine on his left antler and appeared to have an injury to his other eye from the past that prevented him from growing a right antler...we had him at 25 yards but looking right at us....
the next three days we did not see a moose..the conditions were poor except for one day that was ideal and yet no moose....
one day six Kevin joined us and he saw a cow and missed ....Kevin is an accurate bowhunter but sometimes these things happen...
The area we are hunting is hit or miss as it is in the bow zone ....it is becoming more developed and more hunting pressure as well giving a synergistic  negative effect on the number of game over the last 18 years we have hunted it.....it can be good or bad... depending on the day and week
I plan to recharge and go this week a few times...the weather is still too hot here but gotta give it a shot..
I think in the future (2015)  the north is where I anm going for the majestic moose

here are a few pic of the week

Offline Sheepshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2014, 10:15:00 AM »
Thanks everyone! Sounds like everyone is seeing stuff and having fun and that's what it's all about. I love reading all the stories even when there is no "success". Keep posting the adventures!

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2014, 02:46:00 PM »
Brad...there are some good general tag opportunities north of Edmonton but there were also lots of undersubscribed tags this year...I have one for November north of Slave Lake...not as exciting as calling season but still a good chance for one

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2014, 11:31:00 PM »
I don't have a good moose story like Randy but I did find something interesting today.  My spot in the bowzone never has moose, it's just a corner of a farmers field but today I was looking for a new stand location and I scared up a little bull!  I backed off for a couple hours and tried calling him in but to no avail, he's pretty small so maybe he doesn't know what to do with a lonely cow yet.

I'll go back tomorrow and try again, only problem is wifey is in Edmonchuck on business so I've got to try during the daytime hours while the kiddos are in school.  It's a super thick stand of willows so maybe I can get in there and stalk the little guy, I'm not sure how else to approach this.

I did manage to call in three white tails with my lonely cow calling and I got a shot at a great big doe.  I wasn't sure if I hit her or not, couldn't see the arrow or blood on her, after awhile I did a search and found an arrow with no blood and a bent head where it hit the rock it was beside.  Dang!  

It was a great evening even if I didn't score, I had lots of close encounters and it was nice to get out.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©