INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 2014 Hunting season stories and pics  (Read 2229 times)

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
2014 Hunting season stories and pics
« on: August 21, 2014, 02:26:00 PM »
Oh with less than 2  weeks to go...lets rev it up.....I am starting the season with the new Kodiak bow that replicates the 1959 Kodiak..(last year I used a QUARTERMOON Mongoose recurve )
My freezer is almost empty of game meat...so the theme in 2014.....

no mercy...

lets hear the stories as they happen...and what bow you use or are planning to use

KODIAK 60# 60 inch (will switch bows after the first harvest)

Ok Albertans lets get it started...the campfire is lit....

Offline Cowboy Al

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2014 Hunting season stories and pics
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 08:37:00 PM »
"(will switch bows after the first harvest)"
Love the optimism!
I'll be using my Quartermoon Red Baron Recurve. 63#
29" arrows, 200gr broad heads, 75gr inserts, 700gr total.
September Elk & Mulies. (bought a Montana cow elk decoy to try)
October Moose.
Whitetail opportunities might materialize as I pursue the others.

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 03:10:00 PM »
Scott my main hunting area holds mostly mulies and moose,,,,a few whitetails,,,no elk....will start the first week at my close spot with maybe an evening trip to rocky mountain house area..more whitetails there

there are doe tags for both areas....and I am liken doe meat more than bucks....but any whitetail I see I will hunt.....any early season muley...and bow zone moose ..both cows and bulls open,,,

using 600 grain carbons..... 145 grain Eclipse broadheads........no mercy.....

good luck out east and post your pics...

Offline Bert Frelink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 06:47:00 PM »
I don't swing as easily as Brad, sticking to the same bow I start with.
It's kind of ironic but I purchased a new bow this summer from a good friend and fellow bowyer Mr John Strunk,I bought one of his newest models a "Mollegabet" , it's just over 50# at my draw.
Here's a picture of the "new" ammno   :scared:  

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 01:24:00 AM »
Bert your a bowyer and an arrowsmith...if I could make them that nice I would hate to shoot them!!!!!!
looks like turkey and goose....very nice

Offline Cowboy Al

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 10:40:00 AM »
Nice looking darts! Bert you still giving the "primitive" broad head a go?

Offline Bert Frelink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 12:34:00 PM »
Yes Scott for sure, one of these will be "first" in my Quiver.

Offline Cowboy Al

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 04:42:00 PM »
Cool! Did you knap them yourself?
I stole a few minutes today at lunch and shot. Felt good to get arrows flinging! Visualized each one right in the pocket behind the shoulder of a nice bull elk.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 11:50:00 PM »
Mark, tucker and old chef went back packing into a secret spot in the mountains last weekend for an overnighter and some scouting because we all have elk task and a couple antlerless whitetail tags.  We had a fun trip but only saw a couple elk, a handful of deer and a grizzly.  Grouse numbers seem to be very good this year so a licence and a judo are a good idea.

Offline adamgti

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 12:03:00 AM »
I zipped out to my elk honey hole and put a camera up on the ridge they travel on.

I'm kicking myself for not purchasing the a tree stand for 90 less then the same one goes for here while I was down in Wyoming.

September 1 ill be out on the river glassing for a Mule deer and his girlfriends.
Quartermoon 62" r/d longbow 53# @ 29"

Offline Cowboy Al

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 12:40:00 AM »
I'm kicking myself for not putting up a trail cam in the area where I intend on pursuing elk. I prob would have put it over water and got a couple thousand pics of black angus cows but maybe the odd elk would have appeared too.
I'm really enjoying shooting with the 5 arrow bow quiver that Dennis sold me. From the first time I put it on & shot with it I find it adds just the right weight for a perfect cant & a steadier bow arm.

I'm also pumped that I just started scheming to possibly seeing the Caribou migration up close next year with a trad bow in hand, hopefully with a good friend or two alongside!

Offline adamgti

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 01:54:00 PM »
Cowboy!

Ill be back in the Yukon hunting next fall as well.

Offline adamgti

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 11:24:00 AM »
Just spotted a dandy buck in my mule deer spot. Ill see him on Monday. Anyone else see any velvet this week?

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 02:11:00 PM »
Anyone else happen to be hunting WMU 542 for moose in November...lots of undersubscribed bull tags this year

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 02:16:00 PM »
Just checked and there are still 278 tags available in WMU 524...I would have obtained one of those but 542 is closer...should be lots of lease roads for access around Red Earth Creek

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline adamgti

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2014, 07:33:00 PM »
Just chased mule deer. Wow how much I missed doing that since the draw came into effect.

I had three stalks in the morning to within 15 yards of nice bucks that all resulted in no shot opportunity as the deer used the same cover I had stalked them through to leave with.

Glenn put a dandy stalk on a nice buck and had him at 12 yards. The buck stood and walked away and he missed it low. It was a fantastic sight to see it all unfold my my high vantage point. He stalked another bedded for to 4 yards. Might have been to close as he had to almost jump over here to get from the down wind position to a shooting position. Great stalking and hunting intuition shown by a very junior hunter.

All in all it was awesome and we basically had 100 mule deer around us all day.

Now it's elk and sheep season so see you next year mule deer.

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2014, 02:34:00 PM »
moose magic (thursday sept 4th)

the wind was steady making the leaves rustle..great for stalking

had a small bull in velvet at 12 yards and could not pull my bow as a tree was in the way to extend my arm...the bull was broadside and then walked two steps as i stepped back to pull my Kodiak recurve and the shot opportunity was lost..then he button hooked and came back but 3 yards further and a small willow covered the vitals....he walked away

then later in the day snuck in on a cow and again at less than 15 yards ..she got up and went to my right where the were trees blocking a clear shot..if she had gon left ..I would have had a close broadside shot..she was with another cow and the bull I had seen earlier was bedded in the willows just to the NE and they fed in front of me at 20 to 25 yards but the willows were their friends that day and no clear shooting lanes to the vitals....great day...I was burnt out from the adrenaline of the morning and headed home

on friday I went out and could not locate any moose....saw mulie doe with fawn...very warm and quiet making stalking difficult...

...will be back looking for more moose in the next week...

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 05:28:00 PM »
more moose stories (Sept 8th)

I went out yesterday and thought the trees would still have mostly dark even though it was snowing...the snow was sticky and the trees and everything was white except the off side of the trees where the solar heat could touch the trunks...I was wearing timber ghost plaid which is great when when in the shadows of the forest or even in open areas when there is browns .....

I was walking in the snow and because of the depth of the snow...I could not walk without some noise underfoot...I spotted two bull moose in the open at about 200 yards and cow called to them. It is early for  the best calling ...but they responded and came about 90 yards...they stopped and would not come any closer...I was upwind and tried to light a cover scent and looked up again and they were gone...
Knowing the area I felt they might still be coming....... but using the cover of the trees to the west....I moved to the edge of the trees to the west and waited...giving one more cow call. Although on the edge of the trees I did not have any trees giving me shadows....two calf moose appeared  and came to the edge of the trees at 7 yards..... and out of the corner of my eye I saw the two bulls also coming..they were 40 yards in the trees. I drew on the first calf and picked a spot.....I could see the bulls still coming so I let the tension off the string....the calves moved to the east and one bull with a slight drop point came to 15 yards an was behind some poplars on the edge...the bull looked directly at me and seemed tentative...I waited and the bull started to step out..as the shoulder became exposed I drew my bow and the bull responded by turning to the north as he caught the movement and was already unsure of what I was...he walked north out of bow range....at one point as he turned I may have had a brief moment when the ribs were exposed but the shot would have been hurried...I followed the two bulls but could not sneak up on them due to the noise in the snow...the snow was very wet and I cannot remember being that wet....I moved way north and circled the area to avoid the bulls and tried calling them again ...but they did not show up.

After any encounter I debrief what happened in my mind and always try to figure a better way for future success...but what a great time anyway....
here is my conclusion....with what I was wearing I needed to use the cover of shadows and was essentially caught in normal light....this exposed me and made the bull uneasy,,,here is the difference of using shadows ...look at the two photos...they are only ten yards apart .....one in the shadows...the other in the open...
this is not where I was for the story above ....for the moose I was kneeling on the OUTSIDE edge of the trees in another location and I am sure I was easy to see....if I moved in to the woods 10 yards without detection I believe I could have drawn on that bull undetected....

[/URL]

Offline Cowboy Al

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 11:25:00 PM »
Great account of your adventure trublx2! I concur with your assessment of the shadow / camo

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2014, 09:54:00 PM »
Shoot the calf next time Brad...really a trophy with a stickbow and awfully good eating...plus a lot less work to deal with...and realize that in your situation I would have done exactly what you did...I am a meat hunter only until antlers show up...then I very quickly become a trophy hunter...sounds to me like you are about to harvest a nice moose...may the force be with you

DDave

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©