INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Float Hunt.  (Read 588 times)

Offline Cascade Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
Float Hunt.
« on: April 07, 2013, 11:40:00 AM »
I'm kicking around the Idea of floating part of the Moose John this fall.After doing a little homework,i'm looking at getting a flight service to drop me off about halfway up the river on a sand bar.Doing this to be able to spend more time hunting than floating.Closes the 20th of Sept to non residents, so planning on 12-14 days prior.Putting out feelers to see if anyone would be upfor it?
Hickman "Critter Gitter,Lee Thunderbolt.

Offline Frosty the Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Float Hunt.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 12:27:00 PM »
Cascade Drifter,

Man does this sound cool, wish I could join.

Where is the "moose John" located, is that the real name? I googled it and saw a few disagreements as to the name.

Thanks

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 01:44:00 PM »
George, have you been reading some works by Jay Massey?  Doing that will sure get the juices flowing.

I just finished Jay Campbell's new book "Longbow: A Hunting Life", in which he described in one chapter a float hunt down the Moose John.  It will make you realize how difficult it can be as well as how prepared one must be.

BTW Frosty, this river is a just one of the many tributaries in Alaska without an official name.  Jay Massey is responsible for giving it the name after he made famous his floating moose hunts of 30 years ago.  

Also George,  bring a camera, pen, paper, and document this adventure.  Maybe we could get you as a guest speaker at a banquet or rendezvous.    ;)
Lon Scott

Offline Cascade Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 02:26:00 PM »
Yes Lon, if a guy hasn't been on at least one long float, it can be a good education.Nerves can be shot in the first few miles of a 100 mile float.Especially if it is a really braided river with lots of log jams and sweepers.Alaskan Adventure Jay Massey would be a good video on you tube to get the feel of a float.55 minute video.I have had this river on my mind since I floated the Hoho years ago.I never had a clue it was the MJ, as guys are really good about keeping things hushed...a good thing.All I know is every time I asked questions about the river, I'd get discouragement.It wasn't till recently a friend in McGrath and I was talking and I told him I may do the ...river this year, and he said, oh,you mean the MJ.What is nice is being able to pull it up and satellite float it and get topo maps.Don't you love computers.  :campfire:

Offline Cascade Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 02:55:00 PM »
Sorry...Northern Adventure  Jay Massey.

Offline Cascade Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 09:57:00 PM »
Got a friend from Ak interested.Done looking.GR

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©