INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Any truth to this?  (Read 364 times)

Offline Frosty the Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Any truth to this?
« on: March 27, 2013, 06:22:00 PM »
Hey, I have heard from a few people, but am not sure if the information is accurate.

Could someone please let me know if there is any truth the the stories I have heard that we might some osage growing in some parts of Washington?

If we do, does anyone know what area or where it can be found?

Also, can anyone please send me some directions and info on where on the westside I can find and harvest some Yew wood, please?

Thanks guys

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any truth to this?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 11:05:00 AM »
I suspect guys who know where yew or osage (if any) can be found are keeping their mouths shut and fingers off the keyboard.
Lon Scott

Offline Cascade Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 06:20:00 PM »
The best yew would be in the Lake cushman area.The only osage I know of is growing within 35 miles of Leavenworth.
Hickman "Critter Gitter,Lee Thunderbolt.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 12:17:00 AM »
Thanks guys, just was wondering if someone was blowing smoke up my @#$ or not.

Looks like time for a few road trips  :thumbsup:

Offline Treekiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 08:38:00 PM »
The only Osage I can confirm growing in Washington is in my backyard.  Sprouted from "hedge apples" and planted by me.  Should add it's an estimated forty years short of harvest.  Have heard of some in another part the eastern half of the state but have not located it although I have a couple of "apples" that are said to have been harvested from them.  Never have figured out why the fruit from the Osage Orange is referred to as an "appple" though.  Go figure.  Another mature specimen is said to be growing on the capitol campus in Olympia.
As to Yew.  The wet side of the cascades is your best bet.  Far as the dry side of the state is concerned I've found pockets of it scattered around in various areas from Spokane, Ferry and Stevens Counties to Whitman and Asotin Counties.  Forest Service or DNR foresters are sometimes good sources of information but usually tend to be rather tight lipped.  Frankly, though, nobody's going to give you GPS coordinates.  Wear some leather out searching.
Keith

Offline tannerdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 12:52:00 AM »
I have harvested yew from N Idaho (North of Sandpoint above the 3000 ft level,or higher-I think) some years ago, and I have family who have cut when logging. It may be restricted as to harvesting, since it has been a source  of the chemotherapeutic drug taxol. I know that the tree is very sparse, and tends to grow near red cedar where there is moisture in the summer time.

There is one osage orange tree that I have seen when growing along the Snake River a few miles west of Lower Granite Dam, (along Almota road). I have not seen any other trees of this type in Washington. They were quite abundant in Oklahoma where I grew up.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 11:23:00 AM »
I believe there is now a synthetic drug replacing taxol and the yew trees are no longer used for cancer treatments.  When this was used in the 80's or 90's, I recall reading that it took several of these 100 year old yew trees to treat just one patient.  

I believe any bans would most likely occur on private property or in locations where the famed spotted owl hangs out.
Lon Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 05:40:00 PM »
Spotted Owls, Yum, your making me hungry  :laughing:  

Wouldnt dare want to bother some silly owl now would we, thanks tree huggers the world was not complicated enough.

Offline Treekiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 03:12:00 PM »
Tastes a lot like chicken or Californicator Condor.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©