INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: SE WA Turkey Hunting Guide  (Read 511 times)

Offline Wapiti Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
SE WA Turkey Hunting Guide
« on: January 08, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
Hunting pard and I are newbies to trad archery and want to try hunting turkeys over in SE WA for the first time this spring, as he's from the Tri-Cities area. In an effort to short circuit what appears to be a very long, steep, learning curve, we thought we'd check out a guide service for that area,  but have been unable to find one.

Can anyone suggest a "reliable" guide for us?

Thanks!

Offline Ray Borbon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: SE WA Turkey Hunting Guide
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 03:47:00 PM »
I don't know any guides there. Some people I know have reported good hunt experiences in the NE with Bearpaw Outfitters of both turkeys and cougar.

Offline Wapiti Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 11:57:00 PM »
Thanks, BDO.  We believe we've found a guide for the NE area, should we choose to go in that direction; and we may just try both areas, going with a guide in the NE and striking out on our own in the SE, after getting pointed in the right direction, tactic wise.

Appreciate your input.

Offline Ray Borbon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 01:23:00 PM »
Best of luck on the turks.

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 06:14:00 PM »
Get a good decoy like a DSD Hen decoy and a ground blind.

If you haven't done any calling, purchase a few turkey hunting videos and try your hand with box calls, slate calls, and reeds.

Good luck,

Paul
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline Wapiti Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 04:15:00 PM »
Thanks, for the suggestions, Paul.

Got a Primos Ground Max Escape blind, as well as several types of box calls and mouth call diaphragms.  Been working with all of them. Also bought a couple of Rinehart 3D turk tgts to help with my visual picture at different yardages. Really don't plan on taking a shot beyond 15 yds. Yet to check out any decoys, but plan to get some. I'll have to take a look at the DSD Hen decoy.

Terry

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 01:52:00 AM »
Terry,

Look for back shots from the base of the tail up to between the shoulders. Broadside shots are lower percentage.

I dinged a couple before figuring out the best spot. They are tough if you hit them in the wrong spot, but drop really quick if you hit them in the right spot.

Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline Wapiti Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 11:43:00 AM »
Thanks again for the tip, Paul. Yes, I've read that a back/sping shot is the most lethal with those tough birds.

Terry

Offline Ray Borbon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »
I got my last turkey in November. It was a broadside shot which I would take again and again. The arrow and broadhead broke the thigh bone and hip. The turkey flew a short distance. As soon as it landed it could not walk. It was a 15 yard shot at a turkey walking from left to right from the gound (no blind).

Here's my turk. Looks more like a wookie.

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 04:29:00 PM »
A lot of guys do like the broadside shot and take out the leg. I have been in on about 35 turkey harvests with shotgun, compounds, and trad bows. With my compound, I dumped several birds with a mechanical broadhead and all were broadside shots. The difference is that mechanical can hit about anywhere and they are destroyed by a 2 1/2" hole.

I tried broadside with my trad gear and the results were....well.....less than acceptable.

It is a personal preference, but with my experience using trad gear, I will wait for the back shot. I have dinged a few shooting broadside and then went to the back shot and dumped'em. I wish I had known to try the back shot at the time. There are some good reads on this subject in the Powwow forum.

Broadside can be very effective, but I think wound/kill percentage wise, you will have better results with a back shot.

My step son did kill one with a frontal shot similar to the picture above.

I get turkey fever  :banghead:  and I think it is easier for me to line up on the back and pick a spot. The 10" long 4" wide kill zone helps too.

Good luck to you guys this spring. I can't wait.  :archer2:

Offline Ray Borbon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 12:06:00 AM »
I think the shot opportunity and quality of it will be relative to the situation. I don't really buy that a back shot is necessarily better than a side shot but I would consider either one if I felt like it was the right thing to do. It seems that knowing the location of the vitals is critical to deciding on where to aim. At any rate, a dead turkey is good eating...

Offline Wapiti Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 11:24:00 AM »
BDO,

Thanks for including the fine graphics. In trying to prep for my first turkey hunt, I've read numerous recommendations on the most desired spot to hit, in order to take a bird down. There seems to be only one unanimous thought: the kill zone of a turkey is very small, making them one of the most challenging game to bring down, particularly for a trad bow hunter. Other than that, there seems to be about equal proponents of the back shot, taking out the spine, and the broadside shot, taking out the hip, and/or wing joint. It seems to me, being a complete novice, that the back shot offers me a bit more latitude for error, than does the broadside shot, so that's what I'm planning for in the placement of my decoys.  Perhaps, as I get more experience, I'll feel more confident about taking a broadside shot. All good info, and I appreciate the input.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2020 ~ Trad Gang.com ©