INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Twisted limb  (Read 154 times)

Offline ANGRY ELF

• Trad Bowhunter
Twisted limb
« on: February 25, 2010, 01:04:00 PM »
I have a Bear kodak that I bought. It had a slight twist up by the tip of the upper limb.
I heated the tip up and pulled it back to center (as I have done before with other bows)
this one was fine we shot it some off and on over the past month and a half will for the past two weeks we left it alone lying flat unstrung on one of my bow racks and last night I was going out to shoot with my son and he noticed that the tip had twisted back. Anybody out there able to help with this?? any Ideas?? I have had one in the past I tryed to fix and it was so bad that know matter what we did it would not come out of it but this one was stright for a while so that tells me it should be able to be fixed.
Louie
WINDAGE AND ELEVATION

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Twisted limb
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 02:24:00 PM »
I have corrected a few minor twists where the string lies to one side.  

Applying a little heat from something like a hair dryer can help, but I primarily use this method:

I string the bow and gently keep twisting the limb by hand in the direction away from the twist.  

Repeat several times to move the string toward center.  

I always leave the bow strung during this exercise.

Return to the bow and keep twisting by hand daily.  

Leave the bow strung.  

Good luck...

p.s. what Kodiak model you get?
Lon Scott

Offline ANGRY ELF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »
Thanks we will try anything I strung the bow to do some more shooting and I twisted it with just my hand a few times and it stayed my son shot it about two dozen times and it stayed straight we well see what happens.
Lon you said that you use a hair dryer I have heard that before but have never tryed it.
I use a heat light about 12" from the bow that is in a vise and a string on the tip pulling the tip the way it needs to go and then after it gets warm to hot (more of a feel thing) turn the light off and let it cool in that position. doing a little at a time.

Bear bow is a MAGNUM 50# 1965
picked it up at a sporting goods store here in Wenatchee for $65.00 because of the tip twist
I new that the twist should come out but then when it come back just while it was lying flat unstung I kind of started to wonder
  :knothead:

Counting down days till the Moses lake shoot
  :campfire:    :archer:    :biglaugh:
Louie
WINDAGE AND ELEVATION

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 01:20:00 AM »
Just remember that TOO MUCH HEAT has been the death of many good bows (left strung in hot car, hung over a fireplace, stored in attic, or applied heat from light bulbs or hair dryers.   :rolleyes:  )

Heat the limb until just warm....not HOT to touch.

Most twisted limbs can be corrected at room temperature by the stringing and hand twisting method.

I think it is important to leave it strung once the sting lies in the grove after a few pulls.  And always use a stringer...since not using one was the most likely cause for the twist.

That '65 KM with the curve stripe is one of the best lookers in my book.
Lon Scott

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©