INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Martin Archery Closes Howatt Plant  (Read 153 times)

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Martin Archery Closes Howatt Plant
« on: October 31, 2009, 04:50:00 PM »
...at least that's the word on the internet these days.  I have read this on tradgang, ***********, archerytalk, and other places, so there may be some truth to it.  One posting even said they had already shut down.

Does anyone have first hand information?

I would sure hate to see one of our own go under, but there are so many custom bowyers out there that compete for the dollars.  

I have also noticed that Martin's prices for new bows have gone really up the past few years.  

With 25 or so employees who need salaries and benefits, I suppose Martin did not qualify for a stimulous package.

I suppose Larry Hatfield, Don Jewett, and the others can have lots of hunt time now.
Lon Scott

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Martin Archery Closes Howatt Plant
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 12:05:00 PM »
An out-of-state archer called Martin recently:

"Hi, I was looking at the website and noticed that there are only 3 low end traditional bows listed, do you know why this is?"

Answer: (matter of factly) "Oh yeah, Martin isnt goint to be making the other bows anymore, sorry."

"Are you kidding? The Hunter is the most copied recurve design in history and you simply arent going to make it anymore? What are you doing with the Howatt plant in Yakima?"

Answer: "I think they are going to shut it down and move the employees here to Walla Walla."

"What? they are going to shut down the Howatt plant? Thats crazy. Are they going to reintroduce the traditional bows at some point or is this more or less permanent?"

Answer: "I think its permanent, I dont have the details but we wont be selling the recurves except for the 3 you see in the catalog."
Lon Scott

Offline Ray Borbon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 12:40:00 AM »
Too bad. Especially for those who will have to find a new place or way to make a living.

Never shot a Martin Archery product.

This economic recovery does not exist. Unfortunately I think the harder times are still coming.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 02:09:00 PM »
OK...now the word is that Martin is NOT closing down.  Good news indeed.
Lon Scott

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 01:46:00 AM »
The plant never was going to shut down.  Some knucklehead somewhere started a rumor.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Dale Sharp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 06:44:00 PM »
"Believe half of what you see and none of what you read."

-L. Reed
"To me, how you take an animal and how you conduct the hunt, and what you gain from the experience is what bowhunting is all about."
-Jay Massey

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©